Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:20 pm 

I have a fairly dated Onkyo 806 that was serving my HT needs well, but the HDMI board is dying because, well... it's an Onkyo. Blue snow was appearing on screen originally - had to turn off the OSD and switch to pass-through video to solve that, but now no video at all for the first 5-6 minutes until the unit warms up. Audio works fine though.

I was going to take it in for repair, but I know we'll soon be upgrading to a 4K television.

Is there an elegant way to add a HDMI switch to handle 4K content, but still use the AV receiver to decode DTS audio? Thinking this would be the most budget-friendly solution to allow us to get a better 4K television...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:24 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Most of the better and newer 4k players (~$300) have an HDMI video out and a HDMI audio out.

So you can go 4k direct to the monitor and the given audio format can go via HDMI into the receiver. don't need to send 4k video to the receiver any more. They're wising up a bit..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:37 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:
Most of the better and newer 4k players (~$300) have an HDMI video out and a HDMI audio out.

So you can go 4k direct to the monitor and the given audio format can go via HDMI into the receiver. don't need to send 4k video to the receiver any more. They're wising up a bit..

That's amazing, had no idea this was an option. A bit heavy on the electricity, but a much lighter solution on the wallet opposed to getting a mid-tier 4k AV receiver...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:55 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

The $200-249 priced LG 970 ultra-hd model of player has this dual HDMI configuration.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:20 am 

Justin_Toronto wrote:
I have a fairly dated Onkyo 806 that was serving my HT needs well, but the HDMI board is dying because, well... it's an Onkyo. Blue snow was appearing on screen originally - had to turn off the OSD and switch to pass-through video to solve that, but now no video at all for the first 5-6 minutes until the unit warms up. Audio works fine though.

I was going to take it in for repair, but I know we'll soon be upgrading to a 4K television.

Is there an elegant way to add a HDMI switch to handle 4K content, but still use the AV receiver to decode DTS audio? Thinking this would be the most budget-friendly solution to allow us to get a better 4K television...

Check Sony UBP-X800/CA 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Player, it has 2 HDMI out one for video and one for audio, as somebody else mentioned it, video goes directly to TV and audio to receiver. It is excellent value for the money, plays everything including SACD.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:18 am 

2 X HDMI would be ideal. But coax out for audio could work as well - and almost certainly is an option in your present setup. I believe the player will not send the best version of the soundtrack this way (copyright protection) but the results will probably be comparable in most entry level setups. Then you can save your money for that 4k receiver (which will hopefully be more reliable than your present one).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:51 am 

sasha99 wrote:
Justin_Toronto wrote:

Check Sony UBP-X800/CA 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Player, it has 2 HDMI out one for video and one for audio, as somebody else mentioned it, video goes directly to TV and audio to receiver. It is excellent value for the money, plays everything including SACD.

Just parked my independent transport and DAC ... because of this >> SONY UBP X1000ES !!
basically the X800 with a high-end DAC .. the amount of detail that SONY gets off RED Book
CD's is unbelievable!! ... I suspect the PCM is resampled direct to DSD stream and the result is superb.
Fortunately you can buy it from the US + Duty, as it's not Canadian release :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:32 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:

That's the way I wired up my secondary system.. 4K Player to 4K TV and the HDMI audio out of the player to the HDMI in of the AVR. Works great.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:07 am 

Justin_Toronto wrote:

An HDMI Extractor is what you'll need to be able to keep your receiver, and get a 4K TV to play nice together. https://www.staples.ca/en/tripp-lite-uhd-4k-x-2k-30-hz-hdmi-audio-de-embedder-extractor-p130-000-audio/product_2676328_1-CA_1_20001?kpid=2676328&cid=PS:SBD:GS:n:n:SBD:58:21800&cvosrc=PLA.ca-google.Laptop&DesktopComputers&cvo_cid=1081330547&cvo_crid=256014872060&cid=PS:GS:CA::41:71700000032784766PRODUCT+GROUPp30926570908&cvosrc=ppc%20nonbrand.CA-google.PRODUCT+GROUP&cvo_cid=1081330547&cvo_crid=256014872060&Matchtype=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvcruh6-b2wIVyrbACh1U-QIUEAQYASABEgKDmfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

However, once you get that 4K TV, you might find that you will need to complete the ensemble, and 4K capable A/V receivers are well priced, but most are missing a tape loop / Line out which yours has.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:20 am 

HDMI from 4k player to TV. Digital audio output from TV to receiver for decoding.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:05 am 

My secondary system comprises of a 4K Samsung, a non 4K Yamaha RX-V1900 but with HDMI and a Sony X800 4K Player. Like mentioned above, the 4K player has two HDMI outputs, one for Video+Audio and one for audio only. I feed the video/audio directly from the player to the display and the audio only to the AVR. It works really well.