Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:41 pm 

Hello all, this is my first time forum post. I will be picking up a Anthem AVM60 and a couple of amps for my Home theater. I will be running a 7.1 system. This will be my first set of AV separates and I would love to take advantage of the XLR outputs on the AVM60. I am looking for recommendations on a decent set (7) of XLR cables. Looking to keep the cost at $600 or under for now.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:50 pm 

how long?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:19 pm 

$600 for 7 pairs of "decent" XLRs?? (Interpreting this to mean quality build and matched audio performance)

...... Forsooth..... Methinks thou art facing a more princely tithe from thy purse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:25 pm 

Gunner wrote:
$600 for 7 pairs of "decent" XLRs?? (Interpreting this to mean quality build and matched audio performance)

...... Forsooth..... Methinks thou art facing a more princely tithe from thy purse.

I don't think it is 7 pairs, just 7 cables. Don't know many people running 14 channels.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:36 pm 

I wouldn't spend more than whatever Mogami of Canare costs from TFA or BlueJeans, given this is for home theater. That should come in at around half your budget if you only need 1m in length.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:43 pm 

At Take Five Audio - Mogami 2549 is $40.91 each for a 3 foot cable with Neutrik connectors that have colour coded bushing for easier identification.

https://www.takefiveaudio.com/products/ ... o-treated/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:45 pm 

nutella wrote:
I wouldn't spend more than whatever Mogami of Canare costs from TFA or BlueJeans, given this is for home theater. That should come in at around half your budget if you only need 1m in length.

I've used both and prefer the Mogami for no apparent reason. +1 for Take Five Audio.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:46 pm 

different lengths and brands available.
keeps it clean.

G

Attachments:
Screenshot-2018-3-5 Hosa XLR-802 - 2 Meter.png
Screenshot-2018-3-5 Hosa XLR-802 - 2 Meter.png [ 595.17 KiB | Viewed 981 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:05 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
At Take Five Audio - Mogami 2549 is $40.91 each for a 3 foot cable with Neutrik connectors that have colour coded bushing for easier identification.

With your components—or with any really—I'd agree with the Mogami option, although I'd recommend 2534, their four-conductor microphone cable, also available from Take Five Audio (and many pro audio suppliers).

I'm running a 25-foot pair between a DAC/preamp and the power amplifier: clear as Heaven, quiet as Death.

Gotham GAC 4/1 is as good as Mogami 2534, just harder to source.

Gotham GAC 4/1 UltaPro and Mogami 3173 are, for some, slightly better, though also slightly costlier. Even then, though, you might still come in below $100 per cable.

Can't see the point of spending more. Even cheaper if you can solder on your own XLRs.

Enjoy the benefits of going balanced!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:20 pm 

˄ Cool! The 2534 is only $43.10 for 3 feet per cable at Take Five with the same Neutrik connectors. OP has some options here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:47 am 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
how long?

1m i think will do the trick nicely

-- 08 Mar 2018 09:48 --

Canadiansnowland wrote:
Gunner wrote:

I don't think it is 7 pairs, just 7 cables. Don't know many people running 14 channels.

Correct just 7 cables running a 7.1 configuration right now. It will get bumped to 11.2 at a later date.

-- 08 Mar 2018 09:50 --

dr.joe wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

With your components—or with any really—I'd agree with the Mogami option, although I'd recommend 2534, their four-conductor microphone cable, also available from Take Five Audio (and many pro audio suppliers).

I'm running a 25-foot pair between a DAC/preamp and the power amplifier: clear as Heaven, quiet as Death.

Gotham GAC 4/1 is as good as Mogami 2534, just harder to source.

Gotham GAC 4/1 UltaPro and Mogami 3173 are, for some, slightly better, though also slightly costlier. Even then, though, you might still come in below $100 per cable.

Can't see the point of spending more. Even cheaper if you can solder on your own XLRs.

Enjoy the benefits of going balanced!

Cool thanks for all the feed back folks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 am 

Yeah, some great options listed. I’ve been thinking about going xlr for my 2 channel system and only have cheap Monoprice xlr stuff right now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:14 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:

I have to agree with this post. Take 5 is probably the best source for ‘mix’n’match cables - reasonable pricing, great quality and fast shipping.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:20 am 

I bought the parts from Take Five audio and made them myself ... Neotech 3004 cable and Neutrik XLRs. Running balanced to the sub as well. Also using an Anthem pre/power.

I've compared them to a cheap pair of Monoprice XLRs that I bought on CAM, and honestly, can't tell the difference as far as sound ... but the red Neotech wire and Neutrik plugs look a whole lot better than the Monoprice cables.

Also, I made mine 60cm long rather than the standard 1m, which makes for less of a rat's next behind the rack.

I'm going to push you toward Take Five Audio ... they are Canadian, their prices are very good (whether for parts of finished cables), and their service/communication is stellar.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 am 

Blue Jean Cable for balanced XLR all day long. Cheap, quality and fast.

Next would be Take Five Audio, especially when they have their 15-20% off sales.

Really Belden vs. Mogami, which in an XLR format, I'd struggle to tell any difference.