Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:32 am 

hi all,
I am slowly building up a better home audio system in my quite small living room. My main interest is music, but I do watch movies through the system as well. (But I have a older 32 inch tv, and it is no my main priority). I am more or less running a 2.1 system. I've been working with a pioneer vsx-1015tx and a pair of vintage Boston Acoustic A100 Series III along with a polk audio subwoofer. I do also run another zone (towards my kitchen) with a pair of bookshelf speakers. The Boston Acoustics are quite big, and given the small size of our living room, I have just picked up a pair of Totem Arros from one of the kind users here on CAM. My sense is that I will get much better sound out of the Arros from a better receiver. I've been considering picking up a used Anthem MRX 500 or a discounted or used Marantz system. I wondered if any of the kind users here might have some opinions as to a good way to go receiver-wise to get to the best sound out of the Arros.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:55 am 

If you want an A/V receiver, Anthem may well be your best bet. There are a 1,000 and one reasons NOT to consider Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo et al. Just google them and sit back.
Listen to your gut. It seems to be steering you in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:23 am 

Hi aroddick,
Quote:
There are a 1,000 and one reasons NOT to consider Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo et al.

You can safely ignore that statement.

Both more recent Marantz and Denon are excellent products. So if you are staying with a surround product, those would be my recommendations. Anthem is also very good, no complaints with those. Pioneer is beyond cheap and nasty (with some emphasis on nasty) and Onkyo is more difficult to get serviced.

Now, if you want to concentrate on audio quality, you will be using a two channel system. Most surround processors do not nice things to audio quality. Yamaha's processors are probably the best if you want to listen to them. So, now you are looking to a nice 2 channel system.

A properly restored Marantz receiver or preamp / power amplifier or integrated amplifier that has been properly restored makes one of the best performers out there. A set that has been "recapped" really needs all the service work done over - right down to probably using some good capacitors. There are also some minor circuit changes that vastly improve performance. Realigning the tuner will bring out the most there, and there are also some changes in there. Same for the phono circuit. The larger models like the 2325 are excellent, and the "B" series 2265B and higher. The lower models are quite difficult to work on. Stay away from the 4 channel Marantz units (everyone's actually).

The same can be said for the upper "G" series of Sansui's line, and also some Yamaha (CR-1020 +) models are good too. All the units I have suggested are also very reliable as well - assuming a real technician did the work. You might find that you run the sound a lot higher watching a movie. I do. So get something that packs a punch. The 2325 is rated at 125 watts per channel, but they are "Marantz watts" and the real figure is higher. Marantz underrated everything they made. Stay away from the 1983 on Philips Marantz. Those are scrap. Marantz escaped from Philips influence in the 2000's sometime. They became what they were again after that point in time.

Best, Chris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:59 am 

Hi,

Questions.

1) Do you really need a receiver? Do you really use the tuner section? Maybe you just need a quality amplifier. The Totems will respond to any high quality amp.

2) Do you still need a sub-woofer with the Totems? A powered sub would eliminate the need for more than a two channel amp.

3) Do you really need A/V inputs like HDMI or does your TV have audio outs? Even if your TV only has optical audio out an inexpensive optical to RCA converter can solve a lot of issues.

4) Do you still want to drive speakers in a second separate area? Lots of amps have A/B speakers outputs and switches.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:09 am 
Premium User

Anthem is in a different league if you want the best sound.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:12 am 

I believe an integrated amp is the way forward for you if your priority is music (a Naim will work very well with your Arros - but you should specify music preferences to make sure this is right for you). If you want to keep the connectivity of the pioneer a/v receiver (typically for movies/cable) you could use the pre-outs to connect to the integrated amp and bypass its internal pre amp. For music you would connect the source directly to the integrated amp.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:15 am 

If I was buying a receiver for two channel sound as well as HT Anthem or Arcam would be on my list.

After that, in order, would be Yamaha, then Denon/Marantz.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:06 am 

Denon and Marantz are fine pieces of A/V gear when they work.
Problem is they don't work for long and getting them serviced especially when they are out of their warranty is next to impossible.
Denon has the worst customer service I have ever encountered. As I said, read the reviews.
David Neice brings up several good questions to consider.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:54 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
Denon and Marantz are fine pieces of A/V gear when they work.
Problem is they don't work for long and getting them serviced especially when they are out of their warranty is next to impossible.
Denon has the worst customer service I have ever encountered. As I said, read the reviews.
David Neice brings up several good questions to consider.

I disagree. I've had a Denon 3805 and now a Denon 3808 and both have been rock-solid. I bought a used (absolute monster) Denon 5900 DVD/SACD player with a known issue with the reader actuator. Dropped it off to Denon (in Markham I think it was) and in three days they both replaced the actuator and upgraded it to a Denon Link II for straight digital transmission of SACD/DVD-A. Cost? I think it was $120 or so. The 3805 still works very well on second-room/zone duty and it is 13yrs old.

I've also found them very robust and very conservatively rated in power. YMMV but blanket statements like yours just ain't so.

To the OP: what do you feel you're lacking in the sound? You mentioned it's quite a small space, so power maybe isn't the biggest factor. Each receiver will have it's own sound - perhaps try to demo some at a shop that would have your Totem's? Bay-Bloor Radio would be one obvious candidate. Or go the bi-amp route to take advantage of spare channels on a receiver? They are not super-efficient but in a small space shouldn't need tons of power. Perhaps a small sub would fill out the bottom end a bit for you with no need to go with a separate power amp or bigger receiver, and help you down the line for H/T application.

Last edited by DDDamian on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:11 am 

Hi I have a NAD C725 BEE receiver with Totem Arro speakers and they are bi-wired and there is no problem with power. The sound is clean with no need of a subwoofer.

Rega Planar 3/Nagaoka MP-11/Technics SL-7/SL-V5/Grado Black/NAD C725BEE/NAD C545BEE/NAD 613/NAD PP2/NAD DAC1/NAD HP20/Teac UD-301/Totem Arro/Technics SL-MC7/Sony MDR-1000X/Grado PS-500; RS2i; GH2/FiiO Q1 II/JDS Element

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:51 pm 

aroddick wrote:
hi all,
I am slowly building up a better home audio system in my quite small living room. My main interest is music, but I do watch movies through the system as well. (But I have a older 32 inch tv, and it is no my main priority). I am more or less running a 2.1 system. I've been working with a pioneer vsx-1015tx and a pair of vintage Boston Acoustic A100 Series III along with a polk audio subwoofer. I do also run another zone (towards my kitchen) with a pair of bookshelf speakers. The Boston Acoustics are quite big, and given the small size of our living room, I have just picked up a pair of Totem Arros from one of the kind users here on CAM. My sense is that I will get much better sound out of the Arros from a better receiver. I've been considering picking up a used Anthem MRX 500 or a discounted or used Marantz system. I wondered if any of the kind users here might have some opinions as to a good way to go receiver-wise to get to the best sound out of the Arros.
Thanks!

I can see this thread getting quite involved. I have questions about your needs and priorities.

Are you planning a surround sound system for future consideration or stay with 2.1?
How important is Video quality?
I take it that a Phono input is not needed?

When it comes to selecting between brands, I would say it's a personal taste issue, as we all hear differently, just as we all see differently.

I just got my Marantz SR8012, and so far I am very happy with it, in 2.1 mode. Not too many receivers out there with similar capabilities.
I was previously using a Luxman R115, and although I've had my share of high end gear, this Marantz is VERRY open sounding, and this is without using the Audessey microphone..,yet.

I was considering the new Onkyo TX 8270 as a happy in-between solution, but was enticed by the extra 3dB power wise, and the A/V bells and whistles of the SR8012.

Having made my choice, there's one thing I wish both units had, a Tape loop / Line-out feature. I know I can use the Zone 2-3 output as Line out on my unit, but the Anthem has 2 record outputs, so it can be integrated with a wireless speaker/amplifier system like Sonos, or Polk Omni, and Denon HEOS for wireless multi-zone system.
If you can find a discounted demo Marantz, presuming it meets your needs I'd say take it, same with Onkyo/Integra, which is also a venerable brand name.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:14 am 

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46681
https://www.avforums.com/threads/anthem-mrx-510-with-music.1938502/
Quote:
'liamgdr' says: >>For what its worth, which may not be a lot, I recently swapped my budget 2 channel amp (Marantz pm6005) for a Anthem MRX 500! The first thing I noticed was how detailed the MRX 500 sounded in comparison to the Marantz two channel amp without loosing any warmth in the soundstage, the bass response was also better on the Anthem MRX 500 AV receiver than the Marantz pm6005 two channel amp! generally everything sounds clean and composed on MRX 500<<

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:13 am 

aroddick wrote:
hi all,
Thanks!

I owned Arro's for years - then upgraded and then upgraded then... Ah the sickness so many of us are afflicted with.

I ran them originally on a late 90's NAD Receiver then a newer mid-2000's NAD Integrated. I was quite fond of the sound - everything just sounded "right". I own Marantz now - but their higher end reference stuff and used them on a pair of Totem Forests & everything sounded really nice - I eventually traded the Totem speakers but I still have the Marantz gear (their reference gear is supposedly built in Japan and seems fairly tank like).

Only dabbled with home theatre - bought a demo Denon AVR-5800 from a long departed dealer here in Ottawa at a REALLY good price - really liked it for 5.1 and stereo but realized I rarely used surround sound and the majority of my audio was HiFi or stuff from the TV.

Enjoy....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:54 am 

aroddick wrote:
hi all,
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:45 am 

You are getting mixed reviews for Denon and positive ones for Anthem. That should help with your decision.
Btw I am an Anthem owner, never tried Denon.