Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:20 pm 

I've been away for a while and I am looking to upgrade my outdated DAC. I am considering Lampizator Atlantic (not sure which version yet) mainly for PCM playback and would like to hear from current/past Lampizator owners about their impessions of this DAC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:49 pm 
Premium User

Can't comment on the Atlantic...but have had nothing but positive experiences with a Lampizator Big 7 with Volume Control...bought it after hearing a friends Lampizator Level 4...

Currently I'm looking at a Metronome C8+ manufactured in France.

It gives you the options of both tube and SS.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:25 pm 

miss my lampizator only on dsd. currently using metronone c8plus. just my opinion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:38 pm 

Thanks Voodoo Funk and larry. I just came to know about Metronome C8+ and it seems to be an impressive DAC for PCM.

There are so many DAC choices nowadays with no opportunity to listen to most of them. I had the opportunity to listen to one of the top-tier DACs in my system which was very detailed but left me with a headache after the first hour of listening.

My current system is Shindo Masseto preamp wih 2A3 PP mono amplifiers and Tannoy 15" reds in corner cabinets. I am still using an outdated Aune T1 DAC which has a nice tubey sound but it's too forward sounding, lacks detail and has a poor sound-stage. I am looking for a DAC which is detailed (with a 3D sound stage) and at the same time easy to listen to. Do you think Atlantic is the right choice?

Last edited by kkibrisli on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:42 pm 
Premium User

Your preamp could be the culprit...consider a LampizatOr with a volume control so you can eliminate the need for a external preamp...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:50 pm 

Wish I could help but I had first hand experience with only the Big 7 and the Golden Gate (only dsd). There is absolutely no question that on well recorded dsd the lampizator is a very revealing yet musical device. However, I never felt that the lampizator had the ability to be equal to red book or high rez files. Dsd on lampizator can be magical and I was a wealthy man I would own both the metronome and the lampizator. But back to your question - I think anything with dsd on the lampizator products will sound great. BUT if your music collection is primarily non-DSD, I would rethink your selection. And again not all DSD titles are well recorded.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:57 pm 
Premium User

Hmmm...one has to wonder how Larry was feeding his LampizatOr...to keep things simple I know there was a night and day difference when I switched over from a laptop to a SOtM sMS-200ultra w/tX-USBultra and Audioquest Diamond USB Cables...audio nirvana as people like to say...but I agree with Larry...if it isn't recorded well in the first place a LampizatOr is going to reveal that...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:03 pm 

Going that exact route - except I have a curious usb cable. Going to experiment with Singxer as well. This stuff quickly gets very techie though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:43 am 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
Your preamp could be the culprit...consider a LampizatOr with a volume control so you can eliminate the need for a external preamp...

I auditioned the Shindo at the sellers home before buying it and it presented a 3D sound-stage there, so I don't think the culprit is the preamp. I also need the preamp for its phono stage. It is still a good idea to have a LampizatOr with a volume control.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:50 am 

The Lampizator Atlantic DAC had the most impact of all upgrades I've done to my system. So much so.... that I sent it back and upgraded to the GA at a later date. I'd like a second DAC for another room, and as soon as I have the cash I'll get another Lampizator - probably the regular Atlantic again.