Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Robert Plant Show
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:04 am 

Yes, that Robert Plant show, last night at Massey Hall. Scalpers were holding firm at 8:15; had I known there was an opening act, I would not have done anything until closer to 9. Went into the building about 8:40, or in the middle of the very last song from the opening act.

That was the first time a scalper never pointed out to me that he was offering me an obstructed view seat. I was too busy looking for the exact seat location on the ticket, in the dark, on the street, to notice the word "obstructed" near the top left. It didn't matter in the end. I spent most of my time (90%) on my feet behind the seats in the aisle (impossible to sit still with that kind of music!!) anyway.

I had one song going through my head in the 48 hours leading up to the show; My Love is a Freeway. I desperately wanted to hear last night, but no such luck.

I thought the musicians were phenomenal. Some of those solos; such skill and confidence. It kinda got the crowd going. Only when there was an early-gen Robert Plant song or a Led Zep song, did people seem to try to get excited. And too many people shouting out and making noise when Robert was talking to the audience. Shut up, and listen to what he has to say !

I'm not familiar with Plants' latest material, but I can say that that music is really well constructed, and I could certainly see it growing on me.

The show reminded me a bit of Ringo Starr and his All Star Band, in that I had the thought, "here I am, in the presence of a legend"; but Ringo gets to sit there with his shades on all the time behind the drum kit. Robert Plant on the other hand, is right there, centre stage, in plain view - no shades - and we expect him to produce the vocals that we all remember from the '70's. Ringo is 75, Robert is 69.

I thought he was pretty solid overall. But I really wanted to hear that song.

The encore was a little strange for me. The guy beside me spoiled it by telling me we were going to hear Whole Lotta Love. I starting wondering how Robert was going to sing through all the ups and downs in that one. It seemed to me like they did the intro to the song, and bits and pieces, but I kinda got lost and realized I wasn't going to hear the famous ending.

I DO find it a bit lame that people just kinda get mesmerized or try to relive things from 50+ years ago.
It seems like many in the audience would only wake up when Plant launched into those moments. As if that was really the only thing they came for. And that's coming from a sentimentalist who finally realizes that he really doesn't like cover bands.

Creaky crowd too. As in going up and down those steps (at least in my section) during intermission and after the show. No wonder they couldn't get on their feet to tap along with some really great rhythms last night.

I asked the young usher to rate the show, and she said -5. I said, "What do you mean?" Some guy called her a c^*# because she had to tell him to go back to his seat. And there was other abuse and rowdiness that I was unaware of. I give the show an 8.5/10.

Post subject: Re: Robert Plant Show
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:22 pm 

Congrats on seeing a legend in a great venue that's as intimate as you're going to find for someone as popular as Robert Plant. Massey is so much better than any arena or stadium.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:20 pm 

You got that right. I wouldn't make the trip into town to sit in the ACC or Roger's Centre, or whatever massive venue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:48 pm 

David O wrote:

I had one song going through my head in the 48 hours leading up to the show; My Love is a Freeway. I desperately wanted to hear last night, but no such luck.

I think you are probably referring to the song Big Log from Plants second solo record The Principal of Moments.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:36 pm 

Yes, I just Google My Love . . . and Big Log comes up. Interesting video that is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:52 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I always felt that 'big log' was his best song to date, in his solo work. At least - it is my favorite.

Robbie Blunt's guitar work in that song..just..nails it.

Last edited by Teo Audio on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:56 pm 

I saw Plant when he toured "the band of joy" album which was great music on its own,I never expected to hear any Zep.
When the band did some Bluesy/folkie renditions of a few Zep tracks it was awesome...Thought the crowd was pleased.
Probably had the last seat before the entrance door :lol:.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:23 pm 

nothing worse than going to a concert than sitting by a bunch of drunk idiots talking through the whole concert and shooting there mouths off i tend to stay away for that reason