Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:05 am 

Help? Via my turntable I hear what appear to be voices coming through the speakers.

Just the facts.
There are rather creepy voice like sounds coming out of my speakers.
It only happens when the preamp is switched to phono.
It happens (if volume up even a little) whether I am playing a record or not.
The voices appear to be like maybe 120 hz to 500 hz ( a guess) very bassy for sure
It only happens in this house. I know this because the exact same system in another location, it never happens. Also it happened via another more basic stereo in another room in this same house before and again, with that basic stereo it never happened in another home.
It does not always happen, and there is no rhyme or reason as to when these voices appear or not. I can play records for hours on end and never hear the voices. Or they can suddenly surface at any given time and be as constant as if a conversation is going on.
There have been times (when playing a record) just before these voices begin, when the sound of the record actually cuts out, (or mutes) then the voices appear, then when the voices stop the music comes back.

If I had to guess, it sounds like someone talking on a radio station (though very muffled and no midrange or table) . There has never been anything that resembles music though. It is very loud, punchy and choppy sounding and again, its mostly mid to upper bass.

I have tried to give as much info as I can. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know.

Another control fact. It happens regardless of whether I have my MacBook plugged into the system or not.

And yes, the receptacle the stereo is in is grounded. The turntable ground wire IS attached to the ground screw on the pre amp. But this should have no bearing on the problem because the same thing happened with the more basic stereo in the other room of the same house,,,NOTE,,,,the other stereo the problem happened to had no turntable connected to it.

Being an electrician for decades I pride myself on being able to trouble shoot many electrical problems over the phone before I even go to the clients house. Which is why I thought of everything I could re this problem hence the long problem description. As compared to posting simply There is a noise coming out of my speakers which leave a million unanswered questions about the problem.

Good morning all, going for my first caffeine shot of the day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:23 am 

Ghost In The Machine
The Police Album

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:28 am 

In the old days I would have said you are picking up someone in the neighborhood that is using a ham radio but not sure if those still exist. Could also be something like a taxi radio dispatch. But since they are infrequent then my best guess is still a shortwave radio. Are all your cables shielded?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:47 am 

You need to call in a Priest . It maybe that your house is haunted .The Ghost is talking to you thru your stereo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:54 am 

Good one Natalie, lol.

GWN. Yes re shielded cables. BUT.

One more control/point issue.

The problem now is occurring on a system with a set of Proacs, an Alchemist pre amp, a Dual Table, with or without my Macbook, and a NAD amp. (Same system different house problem never occurred)

A year or so ago the same problem happened in this same house whereby the system consisted only of a desk top computer and a wee set of Bose powered computer speakers.

Maybe this clarified a few things?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:03 am 

How long are the cables, you are picking up some RFI have had the same experience in Milton. Had to change the cables, mine was a french station. I now use braided cables for my turntable downstairs. T

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:12 am 

tsearay

Do you mean change the turntable cable? because it only happens when Pre amp set to phono. It doesn't happen via any other source.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:16 am 

Some phono cartridges are subject to RF.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:19 am 

Sounds like you are definitely picking up some sort of RFI. As mentioned it could be a HAM radio, baby monitor, old wireless phone or even kids in your neighborhood playing with walkie-talkies. Who knows!

And despite you are using shielded cables, something within your phono circuit could be picking up the noise. Tone arm wires as an example. Also, not all shielded cables prevent RF at the same level. Tight bends in a cable can break apart a shield allowing interference. Not saying these are the root of your problems but they are possibilities.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:25 am 

Most probably RFI.

Last edited by PBB on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 am 

Not sure I understand how voodoo plays into this problem. Also the basics of audio, especially home audio, does not cover all aspects of RF interference. Speakers of all quality were prone to picking up cellular signals from certain models of mobile phones.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:15 am 

Good morning all, going for my first caffeine shot of the day.[/quote]

It remind me of old days with my guitars amps picking up AM radio stations and I seem to think that it was a ground problem.
I don't think it happens with 3 prong power chords.
Ott.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:19 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Not sure I understand how voodoo plays into this problem. Also the basics of audio, especially home audio, does not cover all aspects of RF interference. Speakers of all quality were prone to picking up cellular signals from certain models of mobile phones.

Yes, I had a cell phone that caused interference with my TV. Just before the phone would ring the screen on my TV would develop static and the sound would crackle. Another very strange one was with an iPad. If the iPad was on my bed charging it would create a static charge and glowing across the surface of the sheets.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:21 am 

Try unplugging the turntable from the preamp and see if it goes away. If it goes away we know it is the turntable, plug the turntable back into the preamp then carefully remove the wires from the back of the cartridge (or remove headshell) we need to take cartridge out of equation, this will tell you what is picking up the noise.

Also what is the cartridge you are using?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:26 am 

I remember as a kid being at George’s Spaghetti House downtown. My Father was a Jazz musician and was playing a gig with Ed Bickert there. Right in the middle of a guitar solo the Maple Leafs broadcast came loud and clear through the amp. The place went nuts and started cheering for the Leafs. I’ll never forget it.

Milesd