Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:55 pm 

I own the Teac CD-P650 CD player and am borrowing a friends Marantz CD6005 CD player. It sounds like the Marantz has a larger soundstage and more detail. I am contemplating purchasing a Marantz CD6006 to supplement my Teac. Has anyone compared the two players? Do you think it is worth putting out over $500 for another CD player when I already have a decent one. The Marantz just sounds better to me and my friend as well. Better enough to think of spending lots of money. This hobby is crazy expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 pm 

I'm not sure what you mean by supplement. Do you want to have two cd players, or would you keep the one that sounds best to you and then sell the other one. If you are only going to keep one it seems like a very reasonable cost for what you consider a significant sq upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:44 pm 

Toad Hall wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by supplement. Do you want to have two cd players, or would you keep the one that sounds best to you and then sell the other one. If you are only going to keep one it seems like a very reasonable cost for what you consider a significant sq upgrade.

I am going to keep the Teac as it has the ability to transfer CDs to my Sony MP3 walkman. The Marantz does not have the capability but the sound is the best I've ever heard on a CD player. My CDs sound incredible. It can play music through the front USB port via my iphone using spotify. The sound quality is quite good that way too. The DAC in the Marantz makes music sound amazing to these middle aged male audiophile ears.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:58 am 

Scott954 wrote:
Toad Hall wrote:

I am going to keep the Teac as it has the ability to transfer CDs to my Sony MP3 walkman. The Marantz does not have the capability but the sound is the best I've ever heard on a CD player. My CDs sound incredible. It can play music through the front USB port via my iphone using spotify. The sound quality is quite good that way too. The DAC in the Marantz makes music sound amazing to these middle aged male audiophile ears.

Exceptional value & performance at Gibby's 'B" stock price for the CD6006.
Application of micro vibration/resonance controls to the 6006 raises SQ to another level.....pic. shows an effective and relatively inexpensive DIY approach.
Attachment:
marantz6006 005.jpg
marantz6006 005.jpg [ 338.16 KiB | Viewed 1095 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:46 pm 

dupont62 wrote:
Scott954 wrote:
Toad Hall wrote:

Exceptional value & performance at Gibby's 'B" stock price for the CD6006.
Application of micro vibration/resonance controls to the 6006 raises SQ to another level.....pic. shows an effective and relatively inexpensive DIY approach.
Attachment:
marantz6006 005.jpg

Do you think it is worth spending money on a second CD player? I actually like the sound of the Teac and the Marantz only sounds marginally better to me after comparing for several hours. I listen to a lot of music mostly via redbook CD and sometimes Spotify which is MP3. I don't have an ultra high end system but it is quite good sounding to my ears. I have a Denon DRA-685 stereo receiver and Paradigm Focus v.3 speakers using the Teac as a CD player source with the possiblity of adding the Marantz as a second CD player. Not sure this is rational spending a lot more money on a second CD player that has slightly better sound?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:52 pm 

We cannot answer this question for you. If you are looking for justification, tell your wife we told you that you HAD to buy the new CD player 8) . That line, by the way, does NOT work for me!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:00 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Source is extremely important, and Marantz is no stranger to making a good cd player!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:53 pm 

Forbes_2 wrote:
Source is extremely important, and Marantz is no stranger to making a good cd player!

I agree. The Teac is a good player with a decent Burr Brown 1791A DAC. Although the Marantz seems smoother and sweeter with its Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC. Quite close but noticeable difference. I am an avid music listener. In fact I don't watch TV. I sit and listen to music for hours. Haven't decided yet!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:56 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Scott954 wrote:
Forbes_2 wrote:

I agree. The Teac is a good player with a decent Burr Brown 1791A DAC. Although the Marantz seems smoother and sweeter with its Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC. Quite close but noticeable difference. I am an avid music listener. In fact I don't watch TV. I sit and listen to music for hours. Haven't decided yet!
One thing to note, the analog output stage of a player/dac is very important too. More important than the chip imo.
I find people get too hung up on the chip.
I have heard great dacs and terrible dacs which use the same chip.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:30 pm 

Forbes_2 wrote:
Scott954 wrote:
Forbes_2 wrote:

One thing to note, the analog output stage of a player/dac is very important too. More important than the chip imo.
I find people get too hung up on the chip.
I have heard great dacs and terrible dacs which use the same chip.

Have you heard the Marantz CD6006 or Teac CD-P650? My friend has lent me his Marantz CD6005 and it does sound better only slightly. One problem with his Marantz CD6005 is skipping CDs or the CD just stops playing. The same disc same track plays fine on my Teac CD-P650. Makes me worry a little about reliability of the Marantz CD players.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:45 pm 

I can speak to the quality of the CD-P650 TEAC and I feed mine to a passive preamp. If there was any noise or bad stuff going on, I'd hear it. I happen to like it, a lot. Unless there's a noticeable difference in the profile of the dac (and there are, which often falls into the realm of subjetivity as it relates to what you may 'like'), I'd be suprised what kind of difference can be discerned when the output is pitch black quiet in comparing it to a much more expensive unit. I'm not a pro in this area, but my ears say it sounds good!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:06 pm 

I purchased my Marantz CD player new in 2011. It has always been my main source and has never missed a beat. Unless something has changed I would certainly vouch for the sound and build quality of a Marantz CD player. I have no experience with any other CD player so can't compare .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:25 pm 

TGstring wrote:
I can speak to the quality of the CD-P650 TEAC and I feed mine to a passive preamp. If there was any noise or bad stuff going on, I'd hear it. I happen to like it, a lot. Unless there's a noticeable difference in the profile of the dac (and there are, which often falls into the realm of subjetivity as it relates to what you may 'like'), I'd be suprised what kind of difference can be discerned when the output is pitch black quiet in comparing it to a much more expensive unit. I'm not a pro in this area, but my ears say it sounds good!

I am listening and thinking I hear difference between the Teac CD-P650 and Marantz CD6005. It is so hard to discern when I am switching back and forth. Listening to one track on one CD player then relistening on the other. The Teac is a good CD player and the Marantz seems to sound smoother perhaps less shrill. I feel like I'm going crazy trying analyze the sound difference. It is all so subjective.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:26 pm 

Hi Scott….don’t know the Teac.If the sound difference was only marginal,I’d take a pass.If you are a DIYer and looking for a project to get your teeth into ,are into woodworking,have access to either hard maple stock or cutting boards,2-3 inch X 1”-1.5”brass or aluminum wide diameter bar & some odd pieces of neoprene, cork coasters & 1 isoblock,this might work well for you……In the opinion of those of us who worked on what you see in the pic., the SQ difference is easily discernible.Accelerometer data from previous audio platform experiments was used by the the physicist/audiophile who helped with the design of this one.
If you happen to be in the downtown Toronto area mid-week by the 27 th Feb. you are welcome to drop in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:33 pm 

Scott954 wrote:

Had you considered tranferring CDs to the Sony via a computer program such as Exact Audio Copy (EAC)? It might mean a few more steps but then you'd also have backups of your CD collection. Perhaps it might be easier to justify purchasing the Marantz by selling the Teac.