Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Spkr Cable Extention
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:11 am 

Wondering if anyone has used say 1 ft extension of lets say Kimber Kable 8tc soldered too a length of Belden or Mogami Spkr cable ( similar gauge ) to cut down on costs. Surely the magic benefits of using the 8tc or other expensive brands would be apparent after the signal traveled the last ft to the Spkr. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Spkr Cable Extention
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 am 

Why not keep the Kimber intact, thus retaining it’s value and sell it. Use that sale to fund a cheaper, longer run of cable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:24 pm 

billbo wrote:
Wondering if anyone has used say 1 ft extension of lets say Kimber Kable 8tc soldered too a length of Belden or Mogami Spkr cable ( similar gauge ) to cut down on costs. Surely the magic benefits of using the 8tc or other expensive brands would be apparent after the signal traveled the last ft to the Spkr. Any thoughts?

I have tried this connection configuration on the speaker cables before and it does make a difference in sound. I once connected a foot long of Nordost Valhalla speaker cable at the end of the 10 foot long run of Transparent Audio Ultra speaker cable and the sound mimic that of the Nordost Valhalla speaker cable. But at the expense of the solid bottom end, that the Transparent Audio afforded me before, however, the top end did sound ethereal. Perhaps I should revisit this experiment again and live with it for a few weeks or so to in order to hear more meaningful results.

I've read this saying from a cable designer before that says "the last bit of the speaker cable connection sound always supersedes that of the first speaker cable run". Think of the many feet of wiring involved in connecting the speaker drivers inside the speakers but yet it can not influence the sound as much as using say MIT, Transparent or Cardas speaker cables do.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:35 pm 

Dneprrider wrote:
tube54 wrote:
billbo wrote:

I have tried this connection configuration on the speaker cables before and it does make a difference in sound. I once connected a foot long of Nordost Valhalla speaker cable at the end of the 10 foot long run of Transparent Audio Ultra speaker cable and the sound mimic that of the Nordost Valhalla speaker cable.

I find it useful sometimes when trying to figure out a complex problem, that one approach is to try a thought experiment.

With this in mind why not consider the following thought experiment, and lets see how far we can take this idea. Since no quantitative measurements are available for the describe testing above, except for the OPs subjective description where it is suggested that 1ft of expensive cable connected to a different but longer (less expensive cable) provides a “sound mimic” of the more expensive cable.

Therefore, let us then reduce the 1 ft add-on cable to say six inches and do the same listening test (the OP does not indicate whether or not this has been tested) but for the sake of the thought experiment lets assume that is provides the same “sound mimic” of the more expensive cable.

Then we can take it another step and go to say 3”, then 1.5” and so on until we reach a point in which it would be impossible to perform in practice.

But as this is just a thought experiment let’s say we can go as far as possible with this line of reasoning. Perhaps we could go down in size to the size of an atom and maybe even then some “sound mimic” of the expensive cable remains.

If this were the case I would expect that cost conscious manufacturers of the less expensive cables would rush to market their new enhanced cables that provide some sonic benefit of the more expensive cables. Please let me know when this happens.......... until then I will keep using my old ethernet cable turned speaker cables. They work quite fine and are super inexpensive.

I found this to be a rather fun thing to think about and hope it elicits some discussion, in what ever direction it goes.

Thanks for reading.

I know this is a very delicate matter to discuss with an open mind. I was just sharing my experience with people who appreciate the difference in sound that a good speaker cable can make. If you don't, believe me, it's ok, however, if you do believe that this experiment does has some merits then, by all means, make your own experiment to find out if you really can hear the difference. As I said in my experiments the results were both positive and negative. The positive results were when it mimics the sound of the Valhalla speaker cable which is known for its ethereal top end. However, the negative results were when the bottom end was not as articulate and deep as when the Transparent Audio Ultra speaker cable was on its own.

BTW, I still have the foot long Nordost Valhalla speaker cables that I'm using as a jumper cables for my B&W 801 speakers. Perhaps I should revisit this experiment again soon...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 pm 

Folks, keep your posts on topic please. That means either you have tried what the OP suggests and agree to talk about the results, or you have a pertinent technical point to make about the OP's idea.

Off topic posts will be removed. The cables Forum is closely monitored and sanctions may be issued summarily.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:24 pm 

Toby wrote:
Folks, keep your posts on topic please. That means either you have tried what the OP suggests and agree to talk about the results, or you have a pertinent technical point to make about the OP's idea.

Off topic posts will be removed. The cables Forum is closely monitored and sanctions may be issued summarily.

Thanks for the moderation as things started to get out of hand...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 am 

billbo wrote:

Yes. This is a troll post seeking to cause trouble. Locked.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]