Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:18 am 

Many/most artists release their LP recordings these days on vinyl as well as on CD. My understanding though is that digital recording methods hold sway in most recording studios these days, and the full analogue range of sound can never be recovered if a source was digitized at any step of the way.

Is there any way to verify that a vinyl record was pressed from an analogue recording? Does an LP jacket display some sort of symbol or combination of letters if the LP was made with analogue technology every step of the way?

:?:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:38 am 

Like the SPARS for CD's.

My guess would be, they do not want you to know...

Regards
Ohms

https://www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:52 am 

Yes. My understanding is that the SPARS code only appears on CDs. For an all-analogue vinyl record one would want to see AAA, but I haven't noticed that lettering on the jacket of new vinyl.

:?

P.S. Yay for my hometown of London, and the Knights and the Mustangs!

8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:06 am 

If you want all analog records, buy ones produced in the 1970s or earlier (originals, not reissues). Anything after that and your looking at digital mastering.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:10 am 

I don,t think a record pressed today is likely to be true analog unless stated. There are some great albums released today that are digital like some of Leonard Cohen,Paul Simon but I prefer to find the original analog if available . London also my hometown but loving it here in the Okanagan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:27 am 

Unless it specifically states on the LP, then it's digitally remastered...

Also, as OHM already mentioned, the studios do not want you to know the source...one of the reasons I think PONO was shutdown.

Ultimately I would like to know the master, and if the CD, SACD, remaster, LP, reissue, special release, MP3, MP4, DSD on and on are of the SAME master? Or are all the releases from the original and then 'mastered' for the format...thinking you are getting something better/different etc.

This is why I stopped buying LPs...anything that is newly released usually sounds brick walled or poorly produced. However, there are instances where remasters can sound better but it's too expensive to take the risk IMO.

Eventually streaming will take over...the physical format/downloads will become inferior...pushing the cattle to streaming. :?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:59 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

When the past is fluid and the now is fluid then history ceases to exist....

Without hardcopy as a form of historical record.... people can be made into anything. Context is lost or fabricated.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 am 

Hi,

Studios have been recording in digital for so long now that analog tape is just a funny sort of 'grandpa' memory. A few years ago Dave Grohl made a documentary film 'Sound City' (rent it) where he purchased the Neve analog recording console from the then closed Sound City studio in California (where Nirvana recorded) and moved it to his own studio to set it up for new recordings. A massive enterprise when all is said and done and a great film. But 24 track analog tape is just not a viable medium any longer and anyway the bits and pieces are no longer being made. Until very very recently the same problem existed for new vinyl pressings. The presses were so ancient they couldn't be repaired but now finally a new generation of presses is being built. Buying vinyl has been dodgy for the last twenty years because most all of the existing record presses were worn out and the quality was skimpy.

Analog tape is not a great storage medium because it needs careful climate control and is prone to 'print-through', where over-lapping layers of tape may affect each other. The standard practice for years was to take master tapes out of vaults and run them over the console heads a couple of times to try to minimize tape print. But as vaults grew larger this practice was too time consuming. Much, much easier to just do a one time 24 bit remastering off the analog tape and then there you have it, bits that can be duplicated forever on a hard-drive. And hey, you might even get to re-release the product as a 24 bit remastering!!

A hard business.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 am 
Premium User

Hepcat wrote:
Many/most artists release their LP recordings these days on vinyl as well as on CD. My understanding though is that digital recording methods hold sway in most recording studios these days, and the full analogue range of sound can never be recovered if a source was digitized at any step of the way.

Is there any way to verify that a vinyl record was pressed from an analogue recording? Does an LP jacket display some sort of symbol or combination of letters if the LP was made with analogue technology every step of the way?

VERY good point you post here my friend. Ya know something. Recently, I was contemplating getting a very high end table as a treat to myself as I do have approx. 200 nice LPs I would really like to spin again but after a conversation with a close friend who has a very expensive analogue set up and is always on the search for new LP's, new music released on LP, etc. , he told me that the quality of new pressings has taking an absolute nose dive as of late and he has been questioning whether or not he wants to remain with analogue as a main source. It is also a known fact IMHO, that there is no re-course for LP shoppers should you get a crap recording. At 30-80$ a pop for an LP these days, I am wondering myself if I am about to drill a large hole in my wallet if there is little to no guarantee as to the quality of the pressings out there ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 am 

you may also look at it as that we lost the art and craft of doing it analog....many people rely on the computer to do it for them and we do not tech the hand made process anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:01 am 

When it comes to music, be it recording or playback, I suppose there is no guarantee as to what is analog & what is digital. If it sounds terrific, does it really matter? If it sounds terrific, do you need to care?

Attachments:
HAVE A CIGAR....gif
HAVE A CIGAR....gif [ 108.8 KiB | Viewed 1625 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:22 am 

Somehow I feel that a record that was made digitally is a waste of time. Might as well just keep it digital.

On the other hand a true AAA pressing can sometimes have that certain acoustic uniqueness. For example, one can hear a digital version of an old song then hear the same music all analog on vinyl and appreciate the difference in sound. I like hearing well made old recordings to the best that the technology of the day allowed. The amazing thing is discovering those examples where everything seems to come together perfectly and that old technology creates an unbeatable experience. It does happen, even with music vibrations engraved on a disc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:30 am 

Old Rusty wrote:
When it comes to music, be it recording or playback, I suppose there is no guarantee as to what is analog & what is digital. If it sounds terrific, does it really matter? If it sounds terrific, do you need to care?

Ahhhhh, but the question is whether it makes sense to take the leap of faith and pay the much higher prices for vinyl if there's no indication let alone guaranty that the sound will be more terrific than the digital CD's. I'm cheap. Therefore I have to be tempted to pay more.

:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 am 

But even if there was an indication of an analog process from mastering to pressing, which will be rare given the cost of analog as buybye88 so well put, there is still no guarantee of sound quality. Poor engineering practices will not be corrected through the type of media/process used in the studio.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:01 am 

agree, when I still listened to rock I always thought that they should ad the list of drugs consumed when doing the record, which would help very much the listeners looking for the excitement playing it at home....