Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:26 pm 

Hey all, I'm thinking to swap my current bookshelves (Dynaudio Emit m-10) for something bigger and more aesthetically suited to my small-ish living room.

The room is about 12x15, open at both ends, with speakers on the long walls. Untreated.

I like the clean sound of the Dyns, but I could handle a bit more warmth at times. I generally listen at fairly low volumes, never anything I'd call really loud. I'd say 50% of my listening is outside the sweet spot, so I guess I want something that sounds alright off-axis, too.

As aesthetics go, I'm drawn to large standmounts with a classic wood finish (some of the older KEF, Wharfedale, & Monitor Audio stuff, e.g.). I don't really like the form-factor of the small bookshelves I have now, and I'd like something that doesn't feel like it's fighting with our older wood furniture. I've never had standmounts, though, and I don't really know where to start.

I have wide-ranging tastes, but I tend to listen to jazz combos (Clark Terry, Miles, Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan, Monk, Mingus, etc), post-punk & prog-jazz (Fugazi, Tortoise, The Bad Plus), and acoustic indie-folk (Sarah Harmer, Birds of Chicago, John K Samson, Christine Fellowes). I value clarity over punch, if that makes sense.

I run a NAD c740, with a NAD C521BEE for CDs, Rega Planar 2 for vinyl, and a Beresford TC-7510 DAC for the CDP & for streaming from Tidal on my MacBook.

Budget is somewhere around $500 if that's not impossible. I know I'm not going to get into the big leagues for that kind of coin, but I'd love to find some speakers that will do what I need and settle in a little better around here. Any thoughts on makes and models that would be a good fit?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:11 pm 
Premium User

Taking your preferences in to consideration B&W 602 S3's sound great and sell for below your budget on occasion. They came in a few different finishes including Sorrento and Calvados. If I was limited to $500 for a standmount my first (and only) choice would be ELAC Uni-Fi UB5's. The amp might not be up to the task and the vinyl finish is probably a no go so they are not worth recommending at this time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:01 am 

The KEF Reference 103.2 would be something to consider perhaps. Here is a pair on CAM now. They don't come up often, most keep long term I would think. My brother has the smaller 101.1 driven with a Sugden class A and an Audio Note TT with tube phono preamp ... Superb.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:43 am 

Get a pair of Dynaco a25's

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:08 am 

Herb Reichert in Stereophile just reviewed the Kef Q350 quite favourably, comparing it well to the LS50 and preferring it in some respects. There’s a pair on here in black for $650. Don’t know if they’d suit your aesthetics, they look even boxier than the Emits to me ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:51 am 

Aaron, you might want to consider Klipsch Heresy ii speakers. I just missed a pair here in Ontario. Something about those horns. Very resolving, crisp with great mids. They play lower volumes well with the right amps. Easy to drive.... all good reasons to give them a try if you get a chance. They sell around the $500 mark. Crites upgrades to the tweeters are (apparently) a great improvement.

All the best and hope your turntable woes are all behind you.

Tom

Last edited by brownslane on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:22 am 

Pretty hard to find but I purchased a pair if Northcreek Kitty Kat Revelator larger standmounts recently from Audio Eden. They are a two way with scan Speak drivers. In my new sound room matched up with my tube gear they are awesome but also sound great with solid state. Unfortunately they are no longer in business.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:09 am 

Hi,

Google Herb Reichert's review in Stereophile of the new Wharfedale Diamond 225s. Even new they fit the price band you have chosen.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:26 am 

Save your money until you can afford something that will provide an improvement. I think a BBC type speaker would work well with the type of music you enjoy - they offer superb tonality and midrange. They are designed for nearfield listening. The size of your room is the upper limit of what they can handle. Spendor 3/5 or Harbeth P3es are some specific models that come to mind. They would be in the $750-2k range depending on age.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:38 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I would go out on a limb and say it is impossible to beat the M-10's for less than $500, unless you have a buddy who is going to take a serious loss on something. Those speakers are awesome!

My advice is to look for a new amp. You have not heard your speakers near their full potential with your current one. No offence, but your M-10's are by far the strongest piece of gear in your setup.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:53 am 

Thanks all, some really helpful suggestions here.

Having taken a quick look at some of these, I think I have a better idea of what I'm looking for, aesthetically anyway: something in the vintage (I don't love that word, but I guess it's right) department, along the lines of the Heresy II, Dynaco a25, and KEF Reference 103.2 suggested above. I like this style, with a large wooden box sitting on a short stand. Angled up is nice, too.

Is "standmounts" the right term for these? Poking around I see that they're often categorized as floorstanders, too, though they usually seem to sit on a short stand rather than directly on the floor.

Quote:
My advice is to look for a new amp. You have not heard your speakers near their full potential with your current one. No offence, but your M-10's are by far the strongest piece of gear in your setup.

No offence taken... I totally agree, and this is definitely on my mind, too. I'll get there eventually!

Another part of my current trouble is that I can't put the M-10s in an optimal (or even decent) spot—right now they're sitting on top of two different side tables, backed against the wall. I can't really see how to get them onto dedicated stands without spoiling the cozy thing we're going for in that room. If I can find something that sounds good & fits the bill as furniture, though, I think it'll be a win all around: I'll get rid of the two side tables, replace them with nice-looking speakers in a somewhat similar style, and hope that the consideration for our cozy aesthetic will help to get buy-in for audio upgrades down the road.

On top of all that I have young kids in the house nearly all the time right now, too, so I rarely get time for dedicated critical listening anyway. That's got me thinking to sell the Dynaudios to someone who can use 'em, find something nice that fits our living room, and upgrade again down the road. I'll be sad to see them go, but as you say, I'm not using them to their potential at all right now.

All that said, I'm not averse to upgrading/changing amps & sources as I go, though. I don't have much of a budget for it, but if I can sell some of what I've got to make a little improvement here or there or better match what I'm going for, that sounds fun, too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:19 am 

I have the M20's in my second system & as an owner, I would say you will have a tough time finding something "better" with a $500 budget. The M10's are what, about $1100 list new & for that price I think they are a stand out in that price range (only bettered by the M20's as they sell for just slightly more & with the bigger cabinet/bass driver have a bigger sound that is fuller/deeper). The Dyn's are already typically a warmer sounding speaker (though the Emit may not be quite as warm as some of their other designs) & NAD's house sound is also one that is typically know to be on the warm side, so its curious that your looking for more warmth at times? (maybe a room/placement issue is causing you some problems or the 10's are on the small side to load your room properly). Maybe trade your 10's towards the 20's & then look to upgrade the amp as said above? But again, sounds like your current placement is far from ideal, so that should be sorted first.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:52 am 

I have a friend who runs an old set of Triangle Titus actually sitting on his bookshelves. It always amazes me how good they sound. I should imagine they’d go for a song if you can find a pair. The new ones, alas, are rear-ported.

He runs them off a NAD 326BEE.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:16 pm 

cyrus wrote:
The KEF Reference 103.2 would be something to consider perhaps. Here is a pair on CAM now. They don't come up often, most keep long term I would think. My brother has the smaller 101.1 driven with a Sugden class A and an Audio Note TT with tube phono preamp ... Superb.

+1 on the KEF 103/2 just spectacular at the price. I have had my pair for 20 years, many others have come and gone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18 pm 

daren_p wrote:
I would say you will have a tough time finding something "better" with a $500 budget.

I think that's probably 100% true. I'm not really hoping to find anything better sounding, though, just something different that suits my needs better.

The $500 budget comes from thinking about a fair resale price for the M-10s... maybe I'm under-valuing them? I'm the second owner on these, but they are in great shape, and they come with the SF-1 shelf-stand. Anyway, I'd be happiest to trade straight across for something in a different form-factor that doesn't lose me too much in the way of performance.