Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:56 am 

Anyone else attend last night's concert at Roy Thomson Hall? Comments?

There was ONE talented guitarist on stage, one pretty good one, and one who should have stayed in the garage band. The sound mix was awful for the first half...sibilance, shrieking high notes, total miss of voicing for the instruments. Just gawd-awful. Second half was markedly improved. But, let's face it; these guys were not up to the challenge.

Vocally, I'd give them a 6 out of 10. Technical skill, a 7 out of 10. Sound, a four.

If they come to your town, I'd give them a pass.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:46 am 

As we were leaving a friend I was with asked me to rate the show, I replied 6 - 7 out of 10.
Yes the vocals were off at times and so was musicianship.
The second half of the show was improved.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:56 am 

That is exactly how we felt. The sound mix was horrible for the first half. Frankly, I was (as expected) unimpressed. My wife said "garage band" to me after the second song.

I was surprised with a few of the folks who stood and cheered to some individual songs. They were certainly not that good. But it takes courage to play Eagles songs....they were anthemic in our lives and we hold all playing to a very high standard. The only "cover band" that I would pay money to see again is Brit Floyd; they are every bit as polished and capable as the original band.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 am 

brownslane wrote:
That is exactly how we felt. The sound mix was horrible for the first half. Frankly, I was (as expected) unimpressed. My wife said "garage band" to me after the second song.

I was surprised with a few of the folks who stood and cheered to some individual songs. They were certainly not that good. But it takes courage to play Eagles songs....they were anthemic in our lives and we hold all playing to a very high standard. The only "cover band" that I would pay money to see again is Brit Floyd; they are every bit as polished and capable as the original band.

I think the " cover band" is the key here.People are paying good money to see just that. And yes I agree Brit Floyd are very good as are some others.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:58 am 

drace1 wrote:
brownslane wrote:

I think the " cover band" is the key here.People are paying good money to see just that. And yes I agree Brit Floyd are very good as are some others.

I've seen CAL 4 x (Sticky Fingers, 2112, Bat Out of Hell, Crime of The Century)...I've enjoyed every one of 'em though admittedly on a sliding scale...for me 35 bucks...a slight wine buzz in a great hall with live musicians...I'm in...every time...ummmmm...unless or until they do Enya... :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:10 am 

These tickets were $70 each. By the time we drove into town, had dinners parking etc, we are up to $250.00. The tickets were given to me as part payment for a set of JBLs. :(

The up-side is that part of every ticket sale went toward a Cancer charity.

It is interesting that, prior to the concert, I attempted to view some promotional info on the band, you know; Youtube videos or anything. Nada.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:14 am 

...I guess market determines ticket price...and/but...Classic Albums Live has a very decent website...including links to videos...weird ...

http://classicalbumslive.com/

...anyways...that's a bummer man... :D

...forgot...I saw them do The Wall as well...it was probably the best one so far...I saw Aussie-Floyd do their thing in Oakville about 6 years ago...CAL was just about as good...the Aussies had a better light show..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:42 am 

I did enjoy the CAL - Eagles Hotel California show I saw at the Center in the Square here in Kitchener.

I did enjoy their Pink Floyd - The Wall show a lot more though as I am a bigger Floyd fan.

I also can't complain any time I get to hear those big Meyer Sound speakers lit up and cranked in this venue.

I've also seen Joe Satriani, Alice Cooper and Randy Bachman play there and those were all some excellent shows also.

I need to keep an ear open and find another show I want to go see there sometime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:07 am 

sorry to hear that.

i've seen them do

Zep 1,2,4

PF the wall and WYWH

Beatles Abbey Road

and

Rush 2112 (twice) once at Massey Hall just cus i'm a Rush geek :)

all of them have been nothing short of jaw dropping

Oppo 105

2 Channel
Anthem I225
Rega RP6/Dyna 10x5/Schiit Mani
Oppo 105
Vandersteen 2C

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 pm 

Although I have never experienced a CAL, I remember when it started, it was very well reviewed and highly regraded, it sounds like the production has slipped.
With the calibre of musicians that are looking for a good gig, you think these shows would be top notch.
On the other hand, being a musician myself (but not highly sought after) and having played with and met some extremely good musicians, I do know some of these cats can 'mail it in' and don't always take their audience seriously. We used to call it a 'Chessman' but that's another story.
I had the same feeling when I was in Chicago watching these jobbers just go through the motions, good players, but certainly laughing at the audience as they pulled the wool over their eyes.
As you stated Browns, you paid good bucks.
If I wanted to see a bar band, I would walk up to the local.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 pm 

...sure...take the one guy's opinion based on one show... :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm 

Stone wrote:

Remember Stone, you are a glass half full guy...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:26 pm 

I saw the Musical Box several times over the course of 4 or 5 years and always thought they were very good. Unfortunately, I saw Steve Hackett live doing Genesis material , about a week or so after seeing the Musical box and that was it. No more pretend shows for me. I guess some might like to hear a cover band because they can't hear the real thing now but there was such a quality difference in the playing , and the sound, that I no longer waste my time with cover bands. I prefer to find a video of the real thing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:33 pm 

scarbpaul12 wrote:
Stone wrote:

Remember Stone, you are a glass half full guy...

...true...as it happens...I also spent the better part of a decade singing in bands...(lots of recording and live shows)...CAL is a class act and business...they take what they do very seriously (which includes improving)...I'd hate for people to write them off without experiencing them for themselves...Cheers...and Keep on Rockin' in The Free World... :D