Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:57 pm 

From what I understand

MQA is 24/48 proprietary encoding that is DOUBLE decoded into 24/96 and then possibly up to 24/192.

If you use a computer with the TIDAL software, the software will do the first decode then you need to USB transfer it into a MQA DAC.

Some DAC like the mytek Brooklyn will do the full decode which is great, but apparently you STILL need a computer with the TIDAL app because the android/ios apps don't even send the MQA
material.

So is there a way to get TIDAL MQA without a computer? Maybe some $2000 network streamer that is basically a computer with TIDAL built in?

Confused.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:33 pm 

http://tidal.com/ca/download

List of devices that can be used to stream Tidal. I currently use the Bluesound Node 2 (not sure if the Auralic Aries mini does passes on mqa) which is a nice easy to use device and supports mqa.

http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/our-partners

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:44 pm 

You can stream Tidal Masters music from a computer to a DAC for up to 192 MHz via USB only. The Tidal app does half of the decoding, and if the DAC does not have the MQA hardware you get everything but the "last two unfolds" as I understand it. This represents a subtle difference in roll off in the higher frequencies and without headphones it is probably as detectable as are different cables that we all debate about.

There are streaming devices. I think Bluesound Node if I am not mistaken will stream and has the MQA hardware.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:39 pm 

hemants wrote:
From what I understand

MQA is 24/48 proprietary encoding that is DOUBLE decoded into 24/96 and then possibly up to 24/192.

If you use a computer with the TIDAL software, the software will do the first decode then you need to USB transfer it into a MQA DAC.

Some DAC like the mytek Brooklyn will do the full decode which is great, but apparently you STILL need a computer with the TIDAL app because the android/ios apps don't even send the MQA
material.

So is there a way to get TIDAL MQA without a computer? Maybe some $2000 network streamer that is basically a computer with TIDAL built in?

Confused.

Log onto RealHD-Audio.com, they cover MQA very thoroughly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:20 pm 

Lively MQA thread on the mastering forum at gearslutz.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:34 pm 

I use Tidal on an Aurender Music player and it plays MQA. Tidal will sometimes have both versions of each album but I have never compared. Maybe I will try it this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:29 pm 

hemants wrote:
From what I understand

Confused.

This is the MQA flow:

Say we start with a 24/192 master.

Step 1: Downsample to 24/96.
Step 2: Fold the above into a 24/48 container. 14-15 bits of musical data at this point the rest is data used for unfolding later and other mqa data.

At the consumer end:
Step 3: Unfold the 24/48 MQA file back into a 24/96 container. Gets about a total of 17 bits of the original musical data back.
Step 4: Apply one of a hand full of MQA filters (specific is defined and encoded in step 2) and upsample back to original sample rate.

DAC is needed for step 4 but not necessarily for step 3.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:50 pm 

Bluesound Node 2 connected with coax in my case to the Mytek Brooklyn (I have the DAC+ version, but the previous version also works)
This combo passes through the bit perfect file untouched and the Mytek does the full decoding of the MQA content.
I’ve also tried via laptop running Tidal client through USB.
I much prefer sitting in my chair and using the iPad to control the Bluesound with the excellent app vs using a computer. Makes things very enjoyable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:24 am 

If you have a LG V30 series phone, and a Tidal hifi subscription, you'll get MQA streaming without a computer. That's the only way I can think of right now that skips the computer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:00 am 

icevic wrote:
If you have a LG V30 series phone, and a Tidal hifi subscription, you'll get MQA streaming without a computer. That's the only way I can think of right now that skips the computer.

Although classified as a smart phone the LD V30 is technically a computer. Follows the same x86 (or x86-64) architect as the machine you used to make this post. If you wanted, you could run Windows, a desktop Linux distro or even Mac OS on it. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:04 am 

This sounds like the scene in Good Morning Vietnam where Robin Williams goes into a techno blab-blurr with his new boss - I'm sure a few here remember this!

MQA reminds me of this. Lot's written on the subject yet pro's and con's...and not always clear

Last edited by milag on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:46 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

racecars wrote:
You can stream Tidal Masters music from a computer to a DAC for up to 192 MHz via USB only. The Tidal app does half of the decoding, and if the DAC does not have the MQA hardware you get everything but the "last two unfolds" as I understand it. This represents a subtle difference in roll off in the higher frequencies and without headphones it is probably as detectable as are different cables that we all debate about.

There are streaming devices. I think Bluesound Node if I am not mistaken will stream and has the MQA hardware.
+1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:09 am 

Assuming that you have a DAC such as the Mytek Brooklyn to decode MQA, all you need is a streamer device such as Auralic Aries Mini. The Auralic "Lightning" app loaded on any IOS or Android device and you are set to control the Aries streamer. The "Master" or MQA files encoded are listed separately on Lightning app which is a nice feature.

As a tip for MQA and DSD files for the Aries streamer, the volume on the app must be set at 100% to allow the DAC to decode these 2 formats.