Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:55 pm 

I currently have two tape decks, a Nak CR2A and Awia ADF800. I don't really use them much anymore and I am wondering, "should I sell these?"
Since there is a bit of a cassette comeback is now the time to sell them off?
Thoughts? Comments?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:32 pm 

Yup. IMO this would be a good time to divest.....while they are worth something. In my opinion, cassette tapes are going the way of 8-tracks. For what my opinion is worth :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:45 pm 

Funny, I spoke to a guy yesterday who is lusting for a Nak deck. He mentioned some models but I don't recall which.
He just always wanted one, not necessarily to listen to, just to have.

I'll send him this link.

Spoke to another guy today who still uses his Nak 2 ch receiver.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:22 pm 

Up to you I did years ago now.
Had the Teac 360S real nice unit, got out of cassettes then revisited cassettes years later with Yamaha & Teac units and divested of that
Have been int them twice in my hi fi life but nowadays to me maybe not much point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:41 pm 

Vinyl Guy wrote:
I currently have two tape decks, a Nak CR2A and Awia ADF800. I don't really use them much anymore and I am wondering, "should I sell these?"
Since there is a bit of a cassette comeback is now the time to sell them off?
Thoughts? Comments?

Id say depends how much you use them.
I gave up cassettes for r2r because they were much more versitile as a tape machine.
I love the sound of my open reel so there is a lot more longevity to keeping the r2r vs cassettes for me anyway. YMMV.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:21 pm 

haven't used a deck since the 80's but not too long back was given a nak rx-202 to fix.

finding a tape took some serious digging but the sheer nostalgia after pushing play was an absolute hoot! made me wish I still had my tape collection from my youth.

so, if you still have your collection, if anything like mine was, understand lots of it was/is unobtanum on cd and considering some of the local or bootleg stuff was tape only...not even available on vinyl. stuff I will never hear again...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:08 pm 

Simple answer:
Do you still have tapes that you occasionally listen to?
If yes, keep a deck.
If you don't have tapes that you occasionally listen to, then you may as well sell the deck and move on...

FWIW, I've thought about this once or twice myself. I have a really good cassette deck, by far and away the best I've ever owned, and by far and away the least used I've ever had. I got it as a replacement after my old deck was stolen in a break-in, but at the time, I was moving away from tapes, and into CD's, so it's just never been used hard. I still have a fair collection of tapes, and while they aren't used daily, they are listened to occasionally, so I"m not planning on getting rid of the deck....

Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:52 pm 

I own 2 decks (Yamaha and Luxman) and I use the Yamaha to record concert blurays and I play them back on the Luxman paired with a Marantz 1550 receiver. talk about late 70's nostalgia.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:14 pm 

I would keep one best deck. A friend gave me a Yamaha KX-930 and a bunch of cassettes a few weeks ago. Stones, Clapton, Floyd and on and on.... Sounded so good I'm on the hunt for a bigger and better deck. Probably just me alone in the universe but they sound so alive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 pm 

I was fortunate to sell all of my Nakamichi decks (including an LX-3 and a ZX-9) while they were still working, and I have never looked back. They are lovely decks until they need work. Then they are money pits ... IF you can even find parts and someone to work on them. I have a 3-head Denon DR-M20 that I use about once a year to make sure it still works. I could probably get rid of it, but I paid next to nothing for it so why bother? Sell the Nak, keep the Aiwa.

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:19 am 

30 years ago I tossed my TOTL JVC DD99 deck to the dump. Haven't missed it since.

I vote to sell them if you can, or toss them if you don't. They're dust collectors which take up space better utilized by something useful like an amp or something. :D

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:04 am 

I love the format and use mine regularly. But I will be the first to tell you that it is a dead format. No one can fix them at a reasonable cost, parts are not available for the most part, and more importantly, the decks are not being made by the assortment of companies that used to make them.I plan to use mine until they are not usable and then it will be over here. I am hoping I die before the deck does.LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:51 am 

I would keep the deck you like the best if you just listen to cassettes once in awhile, probably not much need in keeping both.
I've got a sweet sounding vintage setup that i listen to quite regularily and without a doubt the best sounding deck/amp combo that i've ever owned. Find myself re-visiting my tape collection more and more these days!

Attachments:
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG [ 312.11 KiB | Viewed 902 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:24 pm 

Thank you all for the input. I bought the Aiwa as a backup for the Nak. The Nak has seen its fair share of use over the years. But when I think about it I have the cassette decks more out of nostalgia than anything else.
I agree with Quadzilla, Naks are among the best sounding and beautifully made decks. But fixing them is a problem nowadays. The cost of repairs can easily exceed the value of the deck. Most likely time to sell them off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:21 pm 

i currently own and use 3 different Nak decks.
all bought used from CAM members btw.
CR-2A which had a pro tune up for $60 and works like a charm. think i paid $80 for the machine?

DR-3 in great shape and runs perfectly. paid $100.

and the icing on the cake...an LX-5 which was traded to me for a case of beer.
(included the manual, original sales brochure and a Nakamichi brand demagnetizer!)
That last has been recording and playing for over a year without any complaints.

lots of Maxell and TDK chrome and metal tapes get regular rotation.
i will use them all until they die. :)
no reason not to.