Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:57 am 
Premium User

Picked up a Dacmagic 100 today. Any thoughts on what might be a good pair of cables btwn the Dac and an Antique Sound Labs HB-1?
Little chance of audition given where I live.

sw

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:20 pm 

You might want to define "budget". To some people, entry-level cables are $100. Others (especially here) think that $20 is an absolute fortune.

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:40 pm 

that is like asking if you prefer blonde or brunettes....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:45 pm 

I'm using an older Ultralink Challenger cable. Can't remember what I paid for it but it wasn't much. Does the job quite well.
FWIW I'm using a Dacmagic 100 as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:49 pm 

Almost any cable from Audio Sensibility should work very good there is also a good price range
to choose from and one of the best things is Steve's 30 day money back if your not satisfied policy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:36 pm 
Premium User

Budget would be under $100 & second hand is ok to increase the quality quotient.

BTW Libor jet black from SE Asia is how I roll these days but at various times have enjoyed them all. :D

-- 20 Jan 2018 14:40 --

mahatma1 wrote:
I'm using an older Ultralink Challenger cable. Can't remember what I paid for it but it wasn't much. Does the job quite well.
FWIW I'm using a Dacmagic 100 as well.

Thanks Mahatma. First foray into the digital dark side other than cds so have no experience.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:18 pm 

Contact Gotham Cables in the USA. You can get a GAC-1 for about $30. I have one between my tuner and amp, and it sounds very good, better than a Nordost Black Knight (just a synergy thing). I would think that a Blue Jeans would do the job too. It's going to come down to synergy with pretty much any cable, regardless of price.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:07 pm 

If you don't want to spend much money Blue Jeans Cables are great. If you want something a little nicer (and made in Canada), Unity Audio. That's really all you have to spend.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:15 pm 

Agreed, Unity Audio are good sounding too and reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:35 pm 

As above, Blue Jeans Cable:

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:59 pm 

+ 1 for the Audio Sensibility cable line. I use an Impact pair, the entry level, for recording. These would be fine for the OP's DACMagic 100.

Another cable I have found to be very good for the price is Belden 8402, which you can get from Take Five Audio. They cryo-treat it and it costs under $5 a foot. It is worth putting good connectors on it, and that brings the price up. But connectors matter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:15 pm 
Premium User

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with a recommendation. Seems to be a strong consensus for 3 brands that are well within my range. I know wire matters because I've made my own home brewed speaker cables and changed some internal preamp wiring before that made large improvements in transparency. Synergy is everything as one of you said & big $ don't necessarily have to be spent to get near SOTA results.

Time to use your suggestions & do a little online sleuthing. I'll probably buy 2 or 3 to try out.

When I figure it out I'll report back.

Had to spend the day in the office. Time now for an Icelandic GA-run stout, remove the shrinkwrap from the 2015 Rickie Lee Jones lp and decompress.

Cheers,

shawnwes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:05 pm 
Premium User

Well a weird wrench has been thrown into a seemingly simple project:

Either the laptop/DacMagic 100 combo can't drive the little ASL HB-1 or there's an issue with the HB-1.

Into the AVR the combo works quite well. I compared a Tidal file of Bill Evans Portrait in Jazz to the OJC vinyl version and A/B'd the results. TT won but the DacMajic 100 was very detailed if a little bit lean and grainy. However, when trying to drive the little HB-1 with Kef IEMs it sounds like the music is coming from a big tin can and vocals esp. are extremely recessed. I was able to drive it a couple of days ago directly from a cd/dvd player.