Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:01 pm 

Just bought these gems and it sounds...great.

Last edited by flymetothemoon on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 pm 
Premium User

flymetothemoon wrote:

Congrats on the new twins! Enjoy.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:41 pm 

shawnwes wrote:
flymetothemoon wrote:

Congrats on the new twins! Enjoy.

Thanks. They are simply incredible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:48 pm 

flymetothemoon wrote:

John Wright will put the endorsement [Plus/2016] onto the sticker after the upgrade...don't expect yours [pre-upgrade] will sound the same and the Museatex site explained the works to be done over the upgrade...

"Sonic Updates
The “Plus” Performance Upgrade

• This is a whole new circuit front end based on the latest “trans-impedance” technology.
• After a long gestation this circuit has reached its nadir, a marvel in economy of parts provides greatly reduced distortion.
• Provides a much more linear output to drive the MOSFET output stage.
This new circuit has the same smooth neutrality that characterised the old circuit but has more bass control, a larger sound stage, and far more detail.

The Cap Update

The power supply capacitors in your MTR are getting pretty tired now. They have a life expectancy of about 10 years and over that 10 year period cap technology has advanced considerably. Now, the same size cap has nearly twice the capacitance. This upgrade is, sonically, as revealing as the Plus upgrade and adds many more years of reliable performance."

The upgrade will cost more than you'd pay for a pre-owned set sourcing from the market though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:00 pm 

If you haven't already, try them with the Meitner or Museatex pre. They really are made for each other. So very transparent, deep like a black well, and smooth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:20 pm 

Saturn5 wrote:
If you haven't already, try them with the Meitner or Museatex pre. They really are made for each other. So very transparent, deep like a black well, and smooth.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have the Meitner PA6i and is now at John Wright's workshop for the "Plus" upgrade. Hopeful will get it back within the next couple of weeks. Will post impressions on the set up with full upgrades.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:12 pm 

The Museatex gear was way ahead of most back in the 90s. It's probably more so now because the market has been more permeated over 30 years by lesser quality making this stuff, ratio-wise , even better than the masses.
I've been a member here since day one, and you can see what I've gone thru in my profile. Not mentioning brands but I still own Museatex gear and buy more as it surfaces.
Thoroughly enjoy yours...It still competes well with the better equipment of today!

Last edited by Saturn5 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:42 pm 

Saturn5 wrote:
The Museatex gear was way ahead of most back in the 90s. It's probably more so now because the market has been more permeated over 30 years by lesser quality making this stuff, ratio-wise , even better than the masses.
I've been a member here since day one, and you can see what I've gone thru in my profile. Not mentioning brands but I still own Museatex gear and buy more as it surfaces.
Thoroughly enjoy yours...It's rarely surpassed!

Totally agreed.

I returned to Canada in 2015 (after 22 years out of the country) and unbox my old time gears only to find how competitive they are when compared to those in modern days offerings. They have re-inited my passion in this hobby and ever since my focus has been on those old time legends...to which I can't afford in those old days when they were new.

The Meitner MTR-100s are my 3rd Meitner...Meitner MA-1 DAC (bought 2013), Meitner PA6i (Nov 2017) and Meitner MTR-100 (Jan 2018). I was extremely lucky to own these MTR100s Plus without paying any premium over those being listed on CAM/elsewhere. Still can't figure out what exactly is "Meitner Floating Charge power supply". Please share if you have any knowledge on this.

Comparing to the Krell KMA-160s (bought Nov 2017), the MTR-100s have better details in mid/high while the Krells with fuller body overall. Both are very musical (I'm surprised how good the PA6i working with the Krells) and you can bet the Krells win hands down on the lows.

Below are my current gears...

Turntables :
Heybrook TT2 (bought 1985)/SME3010R/Dynavector 23R/Supex 900 Super
Heybrook TT2 (refurbished by CAM member in BC, bought 2016)/Mayware Formula 4/Decca Super Gold

DAC :
Meitner MA-1 (feed by MacBook Pro or AK-240)

Pre-Amps :
McIntosh C27 (bought 1985)
Pioneer C21 (bought 2016)
Meitner PA6i (bought 2017)

Power Amps :
Krell KMA-160s (bought 2017)
Meitner MTR100 Plus (bought 2018)

Speakers :
KEF 104/2 (bought 1985)
KEF 107 (bought 2016)
Adam Audio S3XH & Sub 12 (bought 2011)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:57 pm 

It's always a matter of synergy. I use Museatex interconnects which are superb due to their low capacitance, and Revel F208s which the Museatex amps drive with no issue as loud as a human ear could take, not that i do that ...although they are so clear its hard to restrain one's self!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:13 am 

Saturn5 wrote:
It's always a matter of synergy. I use Museatex interconnects which are superb due to their low capacitance, and Revel F208s which the Museatex amps drive with no issue as loud as a human ear could take, not that i do that ...although they are so clear its hard to restrain one's self!

Share your set up's details please.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:30 am 

Have you had a chance to hear a ma 1 version 2. It is the best upgrade I have experienced to date. There are major improvements in all areas compared to version 1.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:54 am 

alcheung wrote:
Have you had a chance to hear a ma 1 version 2. It is the best upgrade I have experienced to date. There are major improvements in all areas compared to version 1.

No. I have not [heard the version 2].

In fact I have not following the progress of the modern day Meitner and its products. Could you please share how could I upgrade my MA-1 to version 2 (do we need to move our conversation to the DAC forum? Or please PM me). Many thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:18 pm 

flymetothemoon wrote:
Saturn5 wrote:

Share your set up's details please.

-Museatex CAS10 amp (upgraded). I'm floored by how much power and grip this amp has.
-Museatex ACC preamp (upgraded)
-Classe DR5 pre I just bought this. It's equal to but different in sound of the ACC. Both are so smooth,deep and transparently detailed with the CAS it's tough to decide. The DR is great with most amps, the ACC is fussy with other amps I have but superb with the Museatex products. I think it's maybe due to its low voltage output capability and works best with amps that are more sensitive to input
-Technics SP25 with RB300 arm, Denon 103r, Ortophon step up
-OPPO 103 with 4tb hard drive full bit rate ripped music
-Revel F208 speakers
-Museatex interconnects
-Old Audioquest solid core speaker cable

Not a break the bank system by any means but the most satisfying mix I've owned to date, other than perhaps the Apogee Scintilla 1 ohms I once had.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:33 pm 

Not a break the bank system by any means but the most satisfying mix I've owned to date, other than perhaps the Apogee Scintilla 1 ohms I once had.[/quote]

Totally agreed with you as I only found how good these vintage gems are and how affordable to bring beautiful music back home. I had gone through some extravagant time over which I owned Jadis JPS2S/JA100 & Linn CD12...but these days are over and now I'm very happy with what I have.

Thanks for sharing and stay in touch.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:49 pm 

Totally agreed with you as I only found how good these vintage gems are and how affordable to bring beautiful music back home. I had gone through some extravagant time over which I owned Jadis JPS2S/JA100 & Linn CD12...but these days are over and now I'm very happy with what I have.

Thanks for sharing and stay in touch.

Cheers[/quote]

I've owned expensive gear as well which actually made me feel guilty, let that go and am happier owning affordable gems like Museatex and enjoying the music more than always on the never ending hunt for the elusive Unicorn