Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:10 pm 

A while ago I read a bit of info on using a large volume CD player (200 or 300 CDs) likely a Sony, connected to a PC to rip a large number of discs. Can anyone point me towards the recipe or confirm/infirm the feasability?

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:20 pm 

Can’t say I’ve heard that one before. I don’t know of any CD juke boxes that have a computer interface that’s needed to rip CD’s. You could take the SPDIF out of one of these mega changers into a sound card and record digitally. But that is not ripping the disc and will be extremely time consuming.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:35 pm 

Years ago with Sony multi disc changer & an Escient 750.
Escient is long gone thanks to D&M.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:39 pm 

http://www.acronova.com/solution/article/12/review.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:22 am 

kimmiy1 wrote:
http://www.acronova.com/solution/article/12/review.html

Thanks! I had seen the Nimbie a few years ago during my initial search. Looks like a nice device and it plays nice with dbPoweramp. Too bad I missed the one on CAM a while ago. :(

Will keep my eyes open.

Has anyone used a stack of SATA DVD-R drives in an external enclosure, maybe 4-5 drives?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:08 am 

I used a modified Kodak photo CD ( rebranded Microboards USB)from Hyperdisc to do my ripping using dbpoweramp. It loads up to 50 discs at a time. Works well but there are a couple of things to pay close attention to IMHO when using any form of automated ripper. The first, and most obvious, is the condition of your CD's - especially having them physically clean- oil, grease, food residue etc - much more problematic than scratches in my experience. The second is paying attention to the tagging presets in dbpoweramp or whatever ripping program you use esp. in terms of things like how to treat compilation discs, multiple discs and genre- If doing again I would avoid all but the basic tags . Classical and soundtracks I think are best done individually to your taste otherwise you will spend inordinate amounts of time after "fixing" your tagging so I think the solution is best for more popular genres.
Overall tagging is the bane of ripping esp. in large collections. I find MusicBee to be the best overall solution once things are ripped. dbpoweramp is also a very powerful tool and worth the price of admission. These are are Windows based solutions - can't comment on Apple .but be prepared to put in some time afterwards to clean up tags etc. as after all this is how you will access your music.
Still have the unit and the software if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:38 am 

buzzinghive wrote:
I used a modified Kodak photo CD ( rebranded Microboards USB)from Hyperdisc to do my ripping using dbpoweramp. It loads up to 50 discs at a time. Works well but there are a couple of things to pay close attention to IMHO when using any form of automated ripper. The first, and most obvious, is the condition of your CD's - especially having them physically clean- oil, grease, food residue etc - much more problematic than scratches in my experience. The second is paying attention to the tagging presets in dbpoweramp or whatever ripping program you use esp. in terms of things like how to treat compilation discs, multiple discs and genre- If doing again I would avoid all but the basic tags . Classical and soundtracks I think are best done individually to your taste otherwise you will spend inordinate amounts of time after "fixing" your tagging so I think the solution is best for more popular genres.
Overall tagging is the bane of ripping esp. in large collections. I find MusicBee to be the best overall solution once things are ripped. dbpoweramp is also a very powerful tool and worth the price of admission. These are are Windows based solutions - can't comment on Apple .but be prepared to put in some time afterwards to clean up tags etc. as after all this is how you will access your music.

Yes. Wish I knew this when I ripped my collection.

Album art is a bit of an obsession for me as well. I have to add it and I may just end up scanning it all myself. I find most of the stuff online to be inadequate for anything other than a phone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:50 am 

riffer wrote:
Album art is a bit of an obsession for me as well. I have to add it and I may just end up scanning it all myself. I find most of the stuff online to be inadequate for anything other than a phone.

If you don't already know of the site https://albumartexchange.com/ proves some excellent hi res covers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:25 am 

buzzinghive wrote:

The Kodak units look interesting. I will look at them. May pm you afterwards.
I am using dBpoweramp to rip and find the metadata and album art it pulls from the net quite good.

Regarding metadata, a few hundred albums in and I really feel the pain of classical tagging. So much that a couple of years ago I took a ripping sabbatical and subscribed to a streaming service :x I have a Jaikoz licence but have yet to master it. Perhaps the easiest way to organize classical is by folders and simply browse rather than search.

Thanks folks!