Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Spotify streaming
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:41 am 

I just downloaded Spotify on my desktop computer
I have a WD LIVE box and also a android box
I don't seem to be able to receive Spotify on either one of them ??
I would like to run Spotify into my WD LIVE box since it is hooked up to my DAC
My WD LIVE is wireless..Would I be able to download the spotify app to my phone and then send a wireless singal to the WD
Or would there be a better way???
Maybe chromecast
I'm just new to this field and need all the help I can get

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Spotify streaming
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:51 am 

Seems Spotify dropped support for the WD Live. Not sure why. Can you not install the Spotify app on your Android box?
Alternative is the $50 Chromecast Audio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:40 am 

I did actually install it on my android box..but it won't work??..I get the Spotify page but there are no selection to pick from??
So could I plug the Chromecast Audio into my TV or could I plug it into my WD box
Do you get the picture on the TV screen from the Chromecast Audio??? I have never seen this product in use??

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:49 am 

There are 2 different Chromecast’s (well technically 3). One that does video via HDMI and the other that is strictly audio that you can connect through either 3.5mm connection (could also do 3.5mm to RCA) or through TOSLINK into a DAC.

Simple video showing the 3.5mm connection and setup. I'm, sure there are better videos on Youtube - this was the first that came up in my search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7-RsKhcAdA

You can buy them online or through store retailers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:16 pm 

thanks for the great information
SO could I do TOSLINK into a DAC. and a HDMI to the TV for the picture??
But you still have to use your smart phone to navigate through Spotify
Or can you just go through the chromecast to access spotify?? on the TV screen

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:40 pm 

There are currently 3 Chromecast devices. Chromecast video comes in 2 flavours, 1080p and 4K but only has a HDMI connection – no analog or TOSLINK.

Chromecast Audio is strictly for audio so no video support. You can connect it via TOSLINK or an analog 3.5mm cable (or 3.5mm to RCA). The TOSLINK connection on the Chromecast is the mini TOSLINK so if this is your preferred method, ensure you purchase a mini TOSLINK to reg TOSLINK cable.

You can control the Chromecast through a smartphone, Android or iPhone, a tablet, Android or iPad or computer, Windows or MAC.

You can also have unlimited Chromecasts setup in your home. They can all play the same music or separate streams if other family members want to listen to or watch something else.

Prices are…
Chromecast Ultra (HDMI 4K video) $95
Chromecast Video (HDMI 1080p video) $45
Chromecast Audio (3.5mm or TOSLINK audio only) $45

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:01 pm 

This would mean another box, but I've had a really good experience with the new Yamaha NP-S303 Network Player. It retails for around $500 which is excellent value in my mind. Using Spotify connect, music is chosen from your device but played directly from the NP-S303. This means much better playback as you aren't dependent on your home wireless network. Highly recommended and a great network player!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:48 am 

Thanks sthomas1049 for all the great information
Right now I have Spotify running through my desk top computer, But I do have a android phone
What I would really like to do, But I don't think it is possible is the send the signal from my desk top to the chromecast and then to my DAC
Is this possible??
I listened to Spotify on my WD box through my TV and I must say it really didn't sound very good a tall
I have heard Spotify running through a Bluetooth speaker and it didn't sound all that bad...but not really great either
I'm hoping if I ran the signal through my DAC it would greatly improve the sound, What do you think??
Or are these just compressed files and there is nothing you can do to try and improve the sound??

Thanks Again

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:55 am 

TV’s are not the best at as a DAC, you could certainly do better using a Chromecast Audio either by its self or connected to a DAC. And despite Spotify only streams in a Lossy format, I personally think it can be improved using higher quality gear....or at least something better than what a TV has to offer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:49 am 

If you never need audio only

Use Chromecast HDMI to tv
Then tv optical out into DAC.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:48 am 

I don't have a optical out on my TV :(
So basically if I want to run the chromecast audio to my DAC via a TOSLINK connection I can only use the chromecast AUDIO and therefore will not have any video support..correct
I won't have any video support and I would have to use my phone for that
Is that correct

I guess the other choice is that I run the chromecast into my TV and don't run it through my DAC
Would I just access Spotify with the remote supplied with the chromecast or would I still need to use my android phone??

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:06 am 

markmiata wrote:
Thanks sthomas1049 for all the great information
Right now I have Spotify running through my desk top computer, But I do have a android phone
What I would really like to do, But I don't think it is possible is the send the signal from my desk top to the chromecast and then to my DAC
Is this possible??
I listened to Spotify on my WD box through my TV and I must say it really didn't sound very good a tall
I have heard Spotify running through a Bluetooth speaker and it didn't sound all that bad...but not really great either
I'm hoping if I ran the signal through my DAC it would greatly improve the sound, What do you think??
Or are these just compressed files and there is nothing you can do to try and improve the sound??

Thanks Again

If you are using a Chromecast Audio (CCA) device, the Spotify Connect function should find it. It also finds other devices that are running Spotify. I don't need to use this indoors, but in summer I have the CCA attached to the input of a wireless speaker and run Spotify from the smartphone using the "Select Device" function at the bottom of the screen.

The desktop Spotify app should perform similarly. Recommend you have a Spotify Premium account for best results. As sthomas1049 mentions, a mini toslink -> toslink cable is needed to connect your CCA to a DAC. Ensure the DAC has a toslink port, although they are pretty standard.

Update - the CCA is strictly for audio and works well with Spotify. I see your comments about video ?? You are asking about two different things now. If you want to cast your desktop there is a function within Google Chrome to do that with standard Chromecast devices, but I have never had the need to try it. Google is your friend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:21 pm 

markmiata wrote:
I don't have a optical out on my TV :(
So basically if I want to run the chromecast audio to my DAC via a TOSLINK connection I can only use the chromecast AUDIO and therefore will not have any video support..correct
I won't have any video support and I would have to use my phone for that
Is that correct

I guess the other choice is that I run the chromecast into my TV and don't run it through my DAC
Would I just access Spotify with the remote supplied with the chromecast or would I still need to use my android phone??

Thanks

I have Spotify installed on my IPad. Broadcast content to a Chromecast that is connected with an HDMI cable to one of these things ... 4K HDMI to HDMI +SPDIF Coaxial RL Audio Extractor Converter Splitter 5.1CH Audio. The Extractor is connected with a digital coax cable to my DAC. You can pick up one of these Extractors on eBay for about $20 to $25. Sound quality is almost comparable to CD and certainly better than FM radio.