Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Belles 28 A Reference
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:54 pm 

10 years back purchased a system from a dealer in Tacoma who no longer carries Belles products hence no support. The dealer put and Ayre P5xe phono stage in line with a Belles 28 A Reference pre amp that has the MC/MM phono stage and the Belles 350 A Reference amp. The sound was magical though can't recall the speakers. I bought the Ayre phono stage the Belles 350 A Reference Amp and the 28 A Reference Pre Amp.

I have upgraded my TT to a Sota Cosmos IV with a Graham 2.1 arm and Transfiguration Orpheus cart.

I have an issue where I can play vinyl through the Ayre that is connected to the phono input of the Belles 28 A. If I connect direct from Sota TT to the 28 A, I can hear minute pick up from the cart but no sound from speakers. Surely 2 phono stages has to degrade the music quality. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful. Perhaps a Canadian "Belles" dealer may point me right.

Tin.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:42 pm 

If i read this right, you're using the ayre as the phono stage, into a phono input of the belles. That should result in huge distortion. When you connect the table to the belles directly you get nothing.
This tells me the belles phono is either defective or has been bypassed. Are you sure the ayre is hooked into phono and not another line input?.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:06 pm 

There are 3 pairs of phono inputs on a 28A. A moving magnet input, a moving coil input, and a moving coil loading input for RCA style loading plugs. The loading inputs are the pair in the middle. You might have connected your turntable to these inadvertently. Check the position of the moving coil and moving magnet switch on your front panel.

The wire of your tonearm should be carefully inspected as your DIN connection might not be fully connected.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:41 am 

Which one? All the boards installed?Was phono an option on the Belles?

G

Attachments:
DSC_0005w.jpg
DSC_0005w.jpg [ 33.06 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]
audiob10.jpg
audiob10.jpg [ 140.06 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:21 am 

I appreciate the response. My 28 A only has input for MC. The Load MC and MM are blanked off. The pix attached shows what I should have had installed. My Oracle with Airtangent air arm worked when plugged into the MC inputs. Obviously the fact my RCA jacks that work when plugged into Ayre phono stage but do not when plugged into the MC input of the 28 A could be the issue. As of now am running the Ayre phono stage leads through the AUX inputs of the 28 A.

If I am bent on removing the Ayre phon stage think my best solution might be to swap out the phono leads. Any thoughts on higher quality leads with connectors that would pair with the MC input (top 2 on the phono input of the 28 A).

BTW David Belles did respond suggesting I try the switch MC/MM on the front panel of which has also been offered in this thread. That was the first thing I checked and a number of times thinking there could be a glitch in the switch.

Tin.

Attachments:
649393483_thumb_209f3f2305218614266545571208eccf.jpg
649393483_thumb_209f3f2305218614266545571208eccf.jpg [ 14.21 KiB | Viewed 436 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:26 pm 

Sounds to me you're missing the phono boards.That phono input is now line level.
Pop the hood to confirm.See pic 1 previous post.

Gary