Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: prestoclassical music
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:47 pm 

Has anyone here ever purchased any Classical music items from this website,And how would you rate their service and Quality ? https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:54 pm 

I have purchased downloads but not physical CDs or LPs. No issues at all with the downloads.
The only thing I would say is shipping from UK can take some time (based on purchases from other UK music retailers, not prestoclassical, mind you).
I would recommend them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm 

I have bought CD/SACDs and LPs from them. Airmail service is pretty quick - usually within 2 work weeks to Toronto. They don't offer online tracking but they are very reliable and I have ordered from them from time to time fairly frequently. Their prices are pretty decent most of the time esp. when you hit their promotions even factoring in shipping. However, once an item is out of stock there is no way to know when it will be shipped but it is not actually their fault (suppliers' problem and you get that with Amazon, too).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:51 pm 

I have ordered a considerable number of CDs. Never a problem ,Cds are packaged well ( bubble wrap inside a box ) and reasonably quick shipping.

My first choice for classical Cds.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:51 pm 

I have bought both CDs and downloads from them.

joseph49 wrote:
Has anyone here ever purchased any Classical music items from this website,And how would you rate their service and Quality ? https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical

Their service was excellent : fast delivery, good packing, item as described. Same for downloads :mrgreen: .

Before buying from them, I check the original publishers's website. ( Hyperion, DGG, Bis ( eclassical.com ), Chandos, Channel Classics are examples ). Sometimes the original publisher has an offer at a lower price, or a higher-resolution file is available.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:06 pm 

I'd never heard of them, but saw this thread and took a look at their site on the weekend. Got suckered in by their box-set sale and ended up ordering a bunch of stuff. Now I've got 67 CDs and SACDs coming! :shock:

Placed the order on Sunday and got a notice on Monday morning that all my items had been shipped by "air mail." All of the shipping info up to that point had also indicated that it would be sent "air mail," which was fine by me.

Anyway, today I get a notice from FedEx stating that my shipment is on its way, and scheduled to be delivered this Friday. Yes, FedEx, so I'm thinking this could either be a good thing or a bad thing. Eleven bucks for five-day shipping from the U.K. is a good thing, but if I'm hit with a bunch of excessive FedEx brokerage charges, that would be a bad thing. Guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:40 pm 

Thanks for the link, nice selection.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:47 pm 

luckydog wrote:
I'd never heard of them, but saw this thread and took a look at their site on the weekend. Got suckered in by their box-set sale and ended up ordering a bunch of stuff. Now I've got 67 CDs and SACDs coming! :shock:

Placed the order on Sunday and got a notice on Monday morning that all my items had been shipped by "air mail." All of the shipping info up to that point had also indicated that it would be sent "air mail," which was fine by me.

Anyway, today I get a notice from FedEx stating that my shipment is on its way, and scheduled to be delivered this Friday. Yes, FedEx, so I'm thinking this could either be a good thing or a bad thing. Eleven bucks for five-day shipping from the U.K. is a good thing, but if I'm hit with a bunch of excessive FedEx brokerage charges, that would be a bad thing. Guess we'll see.

I am pretty sure that you will not have to pay any excessive FedEx brokerage charges,But there may be a bit of Duties to pay and that should be only a small amount.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:20 pm 

luckydog wrote:

Keep us updated on what happens in this regard. I for one would be interested to hear if extra charges are assessed.

In the past, I've probably purchased over 300 CDs and SACDs from prestoclassical. When doing so, I always request that they ship them via the post office. Only once has a shipment from them been assessed sales tax & brokerage. There is, however, a weight limit to what presto will/can ship via the Royal Mail Service. So, with multiple-CD purchases that are over that weight limit, they package them in smaller boxes. But I've always specifically asked them to do this (by emailing customer support).

To keep costs down, I usually wait for sales on specific labels. I've also ordered sheet music from prestoclassical. They know what they're doing...I recommend them highly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:13 pm 

Yes - many time - excellent!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:26 pm 

luckydog wrote:

Wow, that is quite a bundle coming!

If you don't mind me asking, what are some of the highlights for what you ordered?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:07 pm 

luckydog wrote:

They will ship by FedEx if you put in a big(ger) order. That happened to me a couple of times. You will have to pay for sales tax but AFAIK no brokerage fees for the service type that they used.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:02 pm 

Demerara wrote:

Wow, that is quite a bundle coming!

If you don't mind me asking, what are some of the highlights for what you ordered?

Lots of discs, but only 4 items. It was a sale on box sets, so I can give you the full list!

Biggest (50 CDs) is the Decca Sound collection. On sale for C$127. Seems like a heck of a bargain for 50 discs (and good ones, by most accounts.)

Next, at 11 CDs, was Shostakovich - The Symphonies for C$47

Then 3 SACDs of Sibelius: Symphonies Nos. 1-7 for C$32

And finally, 2 SACDs + 1 CD (I think) of Mahler: Symphony No. 3 for C$23

I don't really expect any surprises when FedEx shows up with my package, but the prices were low enough that there's quite a bit of extra room to pay for duties and brokerage charges and still come out ahead over what I would have paid on Amazon. A quick search before I ordered suggested that there are no duties on CDs coming into Canada, so my best guess at this point is that I'll probably just pay GST. Looks like brokerage fees might be included in the FedEx International Priority service, but guess I'll find out on Friday.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:03 pm 

+1 Toby. Would add Arkiv as a competitor and good price check http://www.arkivmusic.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:25 pm 

luckydog wrote:

Lots of discs, but only 4 items. It was a sale on box sets, so I can give you the full list!

Biggest (50 CDs) is the Decca Sound collection. On sale for C$127. Seems like a heck of a bargain for 50 discs (and good ones, by most accounts.)

Next, at 11 CDs, was Shostakovich - The Symphonies for C$47

Then 3 SACDs of Sibelius: Symphonies Nos. 1-7 for C$32

And finally, 2 SACDs + 1 CD (I think) of Mahler: Symphony No. 3 for C$23

Thanks for the list. That looks very nice, well done. There are some brilliant recordings in the Decca box. Enjoy your many, many hours of listening!