Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: desktop computer files
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm
Posts: 13
Location: scarborough, ON, CA
I'm running a really simple setup right now as my desktop computer which stores all my music files is 28 feet from my mx 122 and directstream jr dac. No point on hooking up the usb cable with having to use that long of a run. I assume it would not sound good. I also use the desktop computer that stores all my music files to surf the web. I downloaded spotify directly on to this computer. When i turn of spotify, the mx 122 automatically recognizes it through a wireless connection, in the lower corner of the spotify app it asks if i want to listen through my computer speakers or my mx 122. I simply click my mx 122 and now the spotify plays through the mx 122 and my stereo speakers. My question is this, in this simplified setup, is it the Dac in the mx 122 or the dac on my computers soundcard that is being used? :roll:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 3011
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
It will be the DAC in the MX 122


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:54 am
Posts: 288
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
^


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm
Posts: 13
Location: scarborough, ON, CA
Thank you for confirming, have a great new year.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 9858
Location: Burlington, ON, CA
sheavy wrote:
I'm running a really simple setup right now as my desktop computer which stores all my music files is 28 feet from my mx 122 and directstream jr dac. No point on hooking up the usb cable with having to use that long of a run. I assume it would not sound good. I also use the desktop computer that stores all my music files to surf the web. I downloaded spotify directly on to this computer. When i turn of spotify, the mx 122 automatically recognizes it through a wireless connection, in the lower corner of the spotify app it asks if i want to listen through my computer speakers or my mx 122. I simply click my mx 122 and now the spotify plays through the mx 122 and my stereo speakers. My question is this, in this simplified setup, is it the Dac in the mx 122 or the dac on my computers soundcard that is being used? :roll:


Why, why, why, oh why? You just assume it. Then you assume wireless sounds better. Why?

_________________
"There's no place like Space...."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:54 am
Posts: 3524
Location: Vernon, BC, CA
Che Cavolo wrote:
sheavy wrote:
I'm running a really simple setup right now as my desktop computer which stores all my music files is 28 feet from my mx 122 and directstream jr dac. No point on hooking up the usb cable with having to use that long of a run. I assume it would not sound good.


Why, why, why, oh why? You just assume it. Then you assume wireless sounds better. Why?

USB should not be run longer than 15'.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:18 pm
Posts: 614
Location: Sooke, BC, CA
I had to look up the "directstream jr dac". You really have lots of options. I am in a somewhat similar situation with my main system. I use a USB out to a Bryston BUC-1 (takes the place of a high quality sound card) from there it is an XLR AES connection to my Bryston DAC2. That way I get a secure hirez data stream to my DAC all the way up to 24/192. Another option would be a sound card for your PC.

I'm not sure of the limitations of bluetooth, it may be a perfectly satisfying method to transmitting music.

_________________
Use Linux, Be Cool and Be Smart


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:34 am
Posts: 336
Location: Ardrosssan, AB, CA
Jared Rachwalski wrote:
USB should not be run longer than 15'.


What about “active” USB cables?

I use one that is 30 feet long and it sounds fine. I was pretty skeptical because most people said it either would not work or would sound terrible. Chalk it up to bad ears or my equipment not been my resolving enough but it works for me.

I send 4XDSD upsampled audio data on the 30 foot active USB with zero issues.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:54 am
Posts: 3524
Location: Vernon, BC, CA
Demerara wrote:
Jared Rachwalski wrote:
USB should not be run longer than 15'.


What about “active” USB cables?

I use one that is 30 feet long and it sounds fine. I was pretty skeptical because most people said it either would not work or would sound terrible. Chalk it up to bad ears or my equipment not been my resolving enough but it works for me.

I send 4XDSD upsampled audio data on the 30 foot active USB with zero issues.

yes active usb cables can work, and so does using cat5 Baluns.

You do not want to use regular USB cables at lengths greater than 15'.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm
Posts: 13
Location: scarborough, ON, CA
Thank you all for the great info. To the two gentlemen using the 30 foot run of active usb cable, could you please tell me the exact brand and model number you are using? Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:17 pm
Posts: 2898
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
I use a powered hub which also works for that long of a run. I use 2 regular USB cables- 1 to the hub, 2nd from hub to dac.
https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/cables-a ... /108003395


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 3011
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Can’t comment on others who have extended their USB interface – if it working for them that’s awesome! But I have assisted a few who have experienced issues with long runs even with active USB and utilizing powered hubs. One has to keep in mind that an extended USB is designed for data transfer where error correction can be applied and where noise picked up through the cable/hub is not amplified through ones audio equipment. There is no guarantee an extended USB be it powered or with a hub will work as desired.

An alternative to powered USB is optical USB which is not susceptible to noise.

The 2 videos although display noise from the PC itself transferring through the cable into the DAC, it does show the effectiveness of an optical USB cable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46cnv95a3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG3YHH9cA-s


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:34 am
Posts: 336
Location: Ardrosssan, AB, CA
sheavy wrote:
Thank you all for the great info. To the two gentlemen using the 30 foot run of active usb cable, could you please tell me the exact brand and model number you are using? Thank you.

BlueRigger USB 2.0 Type A Male to A Female Active Extension / Repeater Cable - 32 Feet (10M)

I purchased on Amazon.ca and see it is on now for about half the price I paid, it’s only $18.99.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:19 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 5197
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
Even the mainstream recognizes that Bluetooth is not a first choice for music.

Audio_Guy wrote:
I'm not sure of the limitations of bluetooth, it may be a perfectly satisfying method to transmitting music.


Bluetooth was originally envisaged as a protocol for connecting wireless mice and keyboards. It has always been compared to WiFi as a streaming medium, since the infrastructure for both is usually there in our computers. In this comparison, the superiority of WF is audible, and not just a little.

The simple solution is just to use WiFi, but if you're taking music on the go, WiFi gets more complicated. There's a technology called APTX which has been invented to adapt Bluetooth to music. It's integrated in my Soundmatters Foxl2 portable speaker, so I've listened to it. It's convenient. IMHO it's choice number 3, after number 1 ( wired ) and number 2 ( WiFi ).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 3011
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Bluetooth was developed by Ericson Mobile for the purpose of short range wireless headsets which was adopted by other peripherals such as keyboards and mice. Originally called Short-Link it was later named after the Norse King Harald Bluetooth. For the purpose of audio it is a lossy format. Bluetooth aptX and aptX HD developed by Qualcomm improves on the compression (still lossy) but requires both transmitter and receiver to support the codec. aptX is a licenced codec so not every audio manufacture is willing to fork out the Qualcomm tax


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: viclauyyc and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group