Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:56 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Orangeville, ON, CA
I really want to have a vintage integrated & tuner.I expect the purchase to require restoration/improvement.The people I trust to do it are too expensive or choose to be unavailable.Ideas welcome for sources of equipment and work.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 pm
Posts: 3209
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
I would start with Dynaco.
Maybe an ST 70 amp and FM3 tuner.
They are great when they work well.
Oh and maybe even a Pas 3 preamp.
Dynaco is very common on Cam and there are many techs who can work on it.
Just my 2 cents...

_________________
"Switch on summer from a slot machine...
Yes get what you want cuz you can get anything..."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:56 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Orangeville, ON, CA
birdieman wrote:
I really want to have a vintage integrated & tuner.I expect the purchase to require restoration/improvement.The people I trust to do it are too expensive or choose to be unavailable.Ideas welcome for sources of equipment and work.
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
I would start with Dynaco.
Maybe an ST 70 amp and FM3 tuner.
They are great when they work well.
Oh and maybe even a Pas 3 preamp.
Dynaco is very common on Cam and there are many techs who can work on it.
Just my 2 cents...



Thanks,the gear is less trouble than finding the right tech.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 pm
Posts: 3209
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
birdieman wrote:
birdieman wrote:
I really want to have a vintage integrated & tuner.I expect the purchase to require restoration/improvement.The people I trust to do it are too expensive or choose to be unavailable.Ideas welcome for sources of equipment and work.
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
I would start with Dynaco.
Maybe an ST 70 amp and FM3 tuner.
They are great when they work well.
Oh and maybe even a Pas 3 preamp.
Dynaco is very common on Cam and there are many techs who can work on it.
Just my 2 cents...



Thanks,the gear is less trouble than finding the right tech.

Sorry it was just a suggestion to help you but as far as a tech you could contact Tom McCartney at
tmccartney@sympatico.ca
Cheers

_________________
"Switch on summer from a slot machine...
Yes get what you want cuz you can get anything..."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:56 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Orangeville, ON, CA
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
birdieman wrote:
birdieman wrote:
I really want to have a vintage integrated & tuner.I expect the purchase to require restoration/improvement.The people I trust to do it are too expensive or choose to be unavailable.Ideas welcome for sources of equipment and work.
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
I would start with Dynaco.
Maybe an ST 70 amp and FM3 tuner.
They are great when they work well.
Oh and maybe even a Pas 3 preamp.
Dynaco is very common on Cam and there are many techs who can work on it.
Just my 2 cents...



Thanks,the gear is less trouble than finding the right tech.

Sorry it was just a suggestion to help you but as far as a tech you could contact Tom McCartney at
tmccartney@sympatico.ca
Cheers




No suggestion I didn't appreciate the input.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 pm
Posts: 3209
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Oh well birdman..
Goodluck and goodbye.

_________________
"Switch on summer from a slot machine...
Yes get what you want cuz you can get anything..."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:07 am
Posts: 300
Location: Repentigny, QC, CA
WTF !?

CAM'ers just helping CAM'ers, and at this season of goodwill too.

_________________
Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. Norman Cousins


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:56 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:01 pm
Posts: 367
Location: CAMBRIDGE, ON, CA
Wow... Chipmunk1957 that was a good reply! Not sure what Birdieman's problem is here?
I find around this time of year some people can get a bit cranky... But that's what the block function is for.
Keep up the friendly suggestions Chipmunk1957! I really appreciate all the nice guys
who are willing to lend their knowledge here on CAM. Cheers!

_________________
8) My View of me - Audiophile on a mission!!!
:roll: Wife's View of me - Audiophile on a budget!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:31 pm
Posts: 36
Location: Owen Sound, ON, CA
Interesting, I interpreted what he was saying differently....although I'm not sure.
"No suggestion I didn't appreciate the input", I took as him saying he was not meaning to suggest he didn't appreciate the input by what he had said.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:37 pm
Posts: 2226
Location: checked out
Try a Dynaco SCA35 kit from erhard Audio in Oregon.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 611
Location: scarborough, ON, CA
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
birdieman wrote:
birdieman wrote:
I really want to have a vintage integrated & tuner.I expect the purchase to require restoration/improvement.The people I trust to do it are too expensive or choose to be unavailable.Ideas welcome for sources of equipment and work.
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
I would start with Dynaco.
Maybe an ST 70 amp and FM3 tuner.
They are great when they work well.
Oh and maybe even a Pas 3 preamp.
Dynaco is very common on Cam and there are many techs who can work on it.
Just my 2 cents...



Thanks,the gear is less trouble than finding the right tech.

Sorry it was just a suggestion to help you but as far as a tech you could contact Tom McCartney at
tmccartney@sympatico.ca
Cheers

+1 regarding Tom. I had no trouble setting up an appointment with him, but I'm a nice guy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:56 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Orangeville, ON, CA
fairlane67 wrote:
Interesting, I interpreted what he was saying differently....although I'm not sure.
"No suggestion I didn't appreciate the input", I took as him saying he was not meaning to suggest he didn't appreciate the input by what he had said.



You interpreted it the way I meant it.

-- 27 Dec 2017 10:09 --

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Oh well birdman..
Goodluck and goodbye.


Sorry for my misunderstood reply to you.Botched job of saying thanks.Fairlaine57 got what I was trying to say.

Regards
Don


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:39 pm
Posts: 1733
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Tom McCartney is a great tech (really helps me that he lives just down the road lol).

Dynaco suggestion is a solid advice. ST-70 with PAS-3 (or PAS-3x - more expensive) and FM-3 are a great combo when restored. I have had mine for 10+ years, and I finally got a pair of MKIII to complete my collection. SCA-35 of course is another candidate, with less power, but integrated.

Eico and Heathkit are another two common brands, which are easily restorable.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:04 pm
Posts: 2467
Location: saskatoon, SK, CA
I dunno...
For the current askings for an original st70 is nuts.
Then add restoring or modding.. .
Like what's the fascination? Other than maybe the output iron it's yer basic dynaco circuit.
For the end price I'd be more inclined to buy a latino or triode.
And compared to an old st70 I liked the triode.. .

_________________
You like that Redgren Grumbholdt reference? Yeah. Well, guess what? I made him up. You really are your father's children. Think for yourselves. Don't be sheep.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vintage tube gear
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:56 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Orangeville, ON, CA
BinkyTheCat wrote:
I dunno...
For the current askings for an original st70 is nuts.
Then add restoring or modding.. .
Like what's the fascination? Other than maybe the output iron it's yer basic dynaco circuit.
For the end price I'd be more inclined to buy a latino or triode.
And compared to an old st70 I liked the triode.. .



The only real fascination is that I am vintage myself and would like to have stuff I missed when young.SS was new so must be better. Reallu haven't been thinking ST70 but rather an integrated.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group