Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Naim
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:47 pm 

I don’t normally ask for advice on purchases, much preferring to make my own mistakes or revelations. However, I’m considering simplifying my playback. Currently listenining to Auralic, streaming into a Chord 2qute, feeding a 2 watt Decware SET, with vcaps. Thinking of switching to a single box solution in the form of a Naim Uniti Atom. No interconnects, no PSU’s, no multiple power cords. Just Tidal, Spotify, and my WAV collection going into one box and out to the speakers. I like the simplicity, but am I setting myself up for disappointment?

Post subject: Re: Naim
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:15 pm 
Premium User

The Totem Arros I heard hooked up to the Atom using Tidal in a small room sounded great. The simplified setup looked classy and had that trademark Naim sound. The bass performance really stood out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:21 pm 
Premium User

I can’t comment on the sound but the interface is supposed to be a letdown. That said, there is a lot to like about simplifying one’s life.

-- 18 Dec 2017 00:21 --

I can’t comment on the sound but the interface is supposed to be a letdown. That said, there is a lot to like about simplifying one’s life.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:30 pm 

I own a Naim Uniti II which is the previous version of the Uniti series. Eveything the Atom has but wih more power and a built-in cd player. I have also owned the Auralic Aries and the Chord 2QuteHD.

My Uniti gave nothing away compared to the Aurender/Chord. In fact both of those are gone and the Uniti is still around. Looking to upgrade to the Uniti Nova in a few month when I have a bit more cash saved up. The new Uniti series is supposed to be a step up in sq. The Atom is getting good reviews.

The interface is fine. Not as good as my Aurender software but I like it better than the Auralic software. If you dont care for it you can always run Roon Labs.

Last edited by GWN on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:35 pm 
Premium User

Tangram wrote:

Good feedback! Interface is very important these days. If it's the same thing they use with the older units it is a bit of a letdown.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:44 pm 

James_W wrote:
Tangram wrote:

Good feedback! Interface is very important these days. If it's the same thing they use with the older units it is a bit of a letdown.

The units are Roon Labs and UPNP capable so you can use a variety of programs to stream to it. Kinsky, JRiver, Creation 5 to name a few.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:39 pm 

I have owned the Unitiqute 2 for a while but have replaced it with an Oppo Sonica dac and latest Rega Brio for my streaming system. The Sonica provides all the functionality and more than the Unitiqute and combined sounds much better with the same speakers. It was also purchased new for $800 less than the last retail of the Naim. The new Atom adds another $1100 to that price.
I get the simplify bug as I am changing my main set up to a pair of Dynaudio XD200 with the wireless module. I have had the opportunity to demo these in my home so I know what they will do. I can run my table and cassette deck into my phono pre and out to the module along with my mac mini and eliminate everything else.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:22 pm 

I have the Unitilite with Tidal, AppleTV and my iMac connected.
I’m listening/enjoying more music than ever before.

Well worth the convenience and I think sound quality.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:57 pm 

SET amps are going to sound a lot different than the NAIM...

Personally I’d say disappointment...you cannot compare the setups easily, but I wouldn’t sell your gear until you’ve heard the NAIM.

My 2 pennies worth. :?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:02 pm 

Energyguy999 wrote:
SET amps are going to sound a lot different than the NAIM...

Going to have to agree here... NAIM gear has a "house" sound. It's a good sound, and a lot of people really love it, but you should try and have a good listen before you commit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:52 pm 

Also on the dac side, the naim presentation will not be the same as the Chord. The Chord is more natural, though with excellent timing, while the Naim has noticeably more drive and urgency. Frankly, it's quite nice to have both options available.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:53 pm 

Have never heard a piece of Naim gear that impressed me...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:43 am 

I have all Naim electronics, and a lot depends upon choosing the right speakers to match the all-in-one and to match your room.

You might want to visit the Naim Forum to read about what speakers work best.

Naim electronics pairs well with speakers by Graham Audio, Harbeth, Neat, Kudos, as well as, Totem.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:54 am 

Many thanks for the comments thus far. I’ll audition the Atom as soon as I can to see if It lives up to the hype. I might consider a hybrid approach. Keeping the SET and using the Atom as a preamp. The addition of a speaker switch would then let me use the Naim as a full integrated amplifier if I need more power. Best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:52 am 

One more thing. I’ve hear a lot of people talk about the specific Naim house sound. Would anyone care to try a subjective description of just what that is? I’m intrigued.