Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 9:11 pm
Posts: 113
Location: Saskatoon, SK, CA
Okay, I have a few songs that IMO are masterpieces, but I want to review them again first before I list them. But I will start off first with Tarkus by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Show that Never Ends- Remastered cd version.

I've listen to this album regularly since the 1970', LP back then. This is one of those take to 'deserted Island albums'. Tarkus is a masterpiece and Karn Evil 9 I would suggest is a masterpiece as well.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 3011
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
You defining masterpieces by the quality of the recording or by how much you enjoy the music? Only asking cause there is lots of music that I love but wouldn’t consider the recordings to be masterpieces.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:28 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 1504
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA
This entire album.


Attachments:
R-2825456-1430770143-1057.jpeg.jpg
R-2825456-1430770143-1057.jpeg.jpg [ 118.87 KiB | Viewed 2584 times ]

_________________
"Im...a rather simple person with a limited talent and perhaps a limited perspective" - Bill Evans

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 9:11 pm
Posts: 113
Location: Saskatoon, SK, CA
sthomas1049 wrote:
You defining masterpieces by the quality of the recording or by how much you enjoy the music? Only asking cause there is lots of music that I love but wouldn’t consider the recordings to be masterpieces.


I am defining 'Masterpiece' by the quality of the performance, song structure and composition. Ideally you want the best recording possible to hear all he nuances. But I can appreciate a masterpiece on less than stellar recordings.

And of coarse you have to be familiar with the genre. Like I couldn't comment on jazz or classical as I'm not familiar with that music.

I'm familiar with hard rock classics, electronic music going back to Kraftwerk, Emerson, Lake, Plamer, pop music, some movie soundtracks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 3011
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Digital Doc wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
You defining masterpieces by the quality of the recording or by how much you enjoy the music? Only asking cause there is lots of music that I love but wouldn’t consider the recordings to be masterpieces.


I am defining 'Masterpiece' by the quality of the performance, song structure and composition. Ideally you want the best recording possible to hear all he nuances. But I can appreciate a masterpiece on less than stellar recordings.

And of coarse you have to be familiar with the genre. Like I couldn't comment on jazz or classical as I'm not familiar with that music.

I'm familiar with hard rock classics, electronic music going back to Kraftwerk, Emerson, Lake, Plamer, pop music, some movie soundtracks.


So similar to you I am not as well versed on Jazz and Classical as some members. But saying that, to me Miles Davis Kind Of Blue is a masterpiece both in terms of music and fidelity.

On the flip side, Metallica’s Kill Em All, IMO is also a masterpiece. Broke grounds and became a benchmark of a new genre of music. Fidelity wise….it’s not bad but there is certainly better.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:42 am
Posts: 2752
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
sthomas1049 wrote:
So similar to you I am not as well versed on Jazz and Classical as some members. But saying that, to me Miles Davis Kind Of Blue is a masterpiece both in terms of music and fidelity.

On the flip side, Metallica’s Kill Em All, IMO is also a masterpiece. Broke grounds and became a benchmark of a new genre of music. Fidelity wise….it’s not bad but there is certainly better.


Interesting take on "Kill 'em all". A groundbreaking album to be sure, but I'd argue that "Master of Puppets" is their masterpiece. Songwriting, killer riffs along with some great thrash and solid recording just put it a step above Kill 'em all for me (though really, picking a favourite of their first three is pretty much impossible). Another in the genre is "Rain in Blood" by Slayer, one of the all time best thrash albums IMO.
As for my personal choice, I'd say perhaps "A love supreme" by Coltrane, "Kind of Blue" of course, and also, to me "The Wall" by Pink Floyd (which I know will generate all kinds of arguments for DSOTM or others), "Live at Leeds" by The Who, "OK Computer" by Radiohead and, one of my all-time favourite rock albums "In the aeroplane over the sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel...of course I could go on with many more, but those immediately spring to mind...
Byron

_________________
Without music, life would be a mistake"
Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:28 am
Posts: 87
Location: Quebec city, QC, CA
Digital Doc wrote:
Okay, I have a few songs that IMO are masterpieces, but I want to review them again first before I list them. But I will start off first with Tarkus by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Show that Never Ends- Remastered cd version.

I've listen to this album regularly since the 1970', LP back then. This is one of those take to 'deserted Island albums'. Tarkus is a masterpiece and Karn Evil 9 I would suggest is a masterpiece as well.


Just to be certain: songs are musical pieces that are sung, right?

From Wikipedia: "A song, most broadly, is a single (and often standalone) work of music that is typically intended to be sung by the human voice with distinct and fixed pitches and patterns using sound and silence and a variety of forms that often include the repetition of sections."


Last edited by chantsdemaldoror on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:14 pm 
Online

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:17 pm
Posts: 2956
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
I would likely post differently now then even just last year. Although what I would consider masterpieces would still qualify, I have been listening to a radio station out of New England called Mistyradio periodically lately. It plays a lot of 'my father's music' for lack of a better description, sometimes recovered by today's artists but my appreciation for songs from the 40's and 50's has definitely been awakened.
When you think that so often these were ghost songwriters and seasoned studio musicians coupled with a marketable voice. Plenty of talent behind them.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:51 pm
Posts: 561
Location: Mont St-Hilaire, QC, CA
I'm an album type guy so my personal masterpieces are: Cinematic Orchestra "Every Day", Supertramp "Crime of the Century", Pink Floyd "Meddle" and "DSOTM", Michel Petrucciani "Live in Tokyo"and EST (Esbjorn Svensson Trio) "Live in Hamburg".
Song? Yes, I have one in mind and a micro part of it is in my signature... Another song would be Led Zep's "Stairway to Heaven"

_________________
Some dance to remember, Some dance to forget...
The Eagles - Hotel California


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:32 pm
Posts: 597
Location: winnipeg, MB, CA
shawnwes wrote:
This entire album.


Wow, went straight for the top! Yeah, really hard to beat Kind of Blue.
That aside, I am really struck by the quality of many writers/ musicians like The Doors, Dire Straits, Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, on and on.

The cup is raised, the toast is made yet again
One voice is clear above the din
Proud Aryan one word, my will to sustain
For me, the cloth once more to spin

Up there as one of my favorite albums.


Last edited by Canadiansnowland on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:26 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 1504
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA
Benny Goodman: Sing, Sing, Sing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2S1I_ien6A

Albinoni: Adagio in G Minor


Samuel Barber: Adagio for Strings

Bill Evans Trio: My Foolish Heart from Waltz for Debbie

So many others too numerous to list.

_________________
"Im...a rather simple person with a limited talent and perhaps a limited perspective" - Bill Evans

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s


Last edited by shawnwes on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:39 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6753
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
"Singing Winds, Crying Beasts" - Santana

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 9:11 pm
Posts: 113
Location: Saskatoon, SK, CA
chantsdemaldoror wrote:
Digital Doc wrote:
Okay, I have a few songs that IMO are masterpieces, but I want to review them again first before I list them. But I will start off first with Tarkus by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Show that Never Ends- Remastered cd version.

I've listen to this album regularly since the 1970', LP back then. This is one of those take to 'deserted Island albums'. Tarkus is a masterpiece and Karn Evil 9 I would suggest is a masterpiece as well.


Just to be certain: songs are musical pieces that are sung, right?


They can be. I guess a better term would be song 'track'. Like an album typically had music divided into individual songs or tracks. It could be all instrumental like David Arkenstone or Joe Satriani.

-- 16 Dec 2017 00:48 --

mantisory wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
So similar to you I am not as well versed on Jazz and Classical as some members. But saying that, to me Miles Davis Kind Of Blue is a masterpiece both in terms of music and fidelity.

On the flip side, Metallica’s Kill Em All, IMO is also a masterpiece. Broke grounds and became a benchmark of a new genre of music. Fidelity wise….it’s not bad but there is certainly better.


Interesting take on "Kill 'em all". A groundbreaking album to be sure, but I'd argue that "Master of Puppets" is their masterpiece. Songwriting, killer riffs along with some great thrash and solid recording just put it a step above Kill 'em all for me (though really, picking a favourite of their first three is pretty much impossible). Another in the genre is "Rain in Blood" by Slayer, one of the all time best thrash albums IMO.
As for my personal choice, I'd say perhaps "A love supreme" by Coltrane, "Kind of Blue" of course, and also, to me "The Wall" by Pink Floyd (which I know will generate all kinds of arguments for DSOTM or others), "Live at Leeds" by The Who, "OK Computer" by Radiohead and, one of my all-time favourite rock albums "In the aeroplane over the sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel...of course I could go on with many more, but those immediately spring to mind...
Byron


I'd argue that Metallica is not masterpiece material. Yes they have a few good songs, certainly not masterpieces, and I've heard 'Master of the Puppets', which I have in my collection.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:32 pm
Posts: 597
Location: winnipeg, MB, CA
I'd argue that Metallica is not masterpiece material. Yes they have a few good songs, certainly not masterpieces, and I've heard 'Master of the Puppets', which I have in my collection.[/quote]

I'm not sure you can ask someone what "they consider to be a masterpiece" and then argue that they are wrong. But hey there is a lot of stuff I would add to this list.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 9:11 pm
Posts: 113
Location: Saskatoon, SK, CA
Canadiansnowland wrote:
I'd argue that Metallica is not masterpiece material. Yes they have a few good songs, certainly not masterpieces, and I've heard 'Master of the Puppets', which I have in my collection.


I'm not sure you can ask someone what "they consider to be a masterpiece" and then argue that they are wrong. But hey there is a lot of stuff I would add to this list.[/quote]

Yeah the thread is not turning out how I expected. We are getting people's favorites not 'Masterpieces'.

Definition of a Masterpiece:

A work of outstanding artistry, skill, or workmanship.

I have thousands of songs that I like and are good. I would say only a small percentage is Masterpiece material.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group