Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:43 am 

A friend of mine has been looking for a top line integrated amp to scale down his massive multi box system.

The MOON 700i looks like a worthy contender. Has anybody out there actually heard one, or at least know where one " might " be available to hear at a local dealer in Ontario?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:21 am 

I owned a Moon 600i for awhile and can tell you if you are looking for a very neutral and powerful solid state int amp you can,t go wrong with a 700i. I found little lacking with the 600i driving a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona M floorstanders and I would imagine the same Moon signature sound would be there with the 700i but even better. I sold the Moon to go in a different direction with a tube Dehaviland preamp and a Luxman tube power with different speakers and room.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:02 am 

As always it would depend on your friends taste and of course, his speakers. They were using either the 600i or 700i to power my ATC's when I auditioned them and I hated the results. I found it very aggressive with what I can only discribe as " digital Hash" on the high end. It reminded me of some of the older Bryston amps I've owned. It did however show the ATC's potential so I bought them and they sound spectacular with my Gryphon amp. To be fair, I've been told by people that I have a lot of faith in that the big Moons pair very well with other speakers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:37 am 

I would be concerned just because of the reports of Classe either closing or has closed. Something for you to check before making a rather expensive purchase.

They claim to be available for service afterwards but we've all heard those stories before and they often don't end well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:46 am 

Smith wrote:
I would be concerned just because of the reports of Classe either closing or has closed. Something for you to check before making a rather expensive purchase.

They claim to be available for service afterwards but we've all heard those stories before and they often don't end well.

I think they were discussing Sim not Classe....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:48 am 
Premium User

Excellent integrated. I've only had the pleasure of owning a 600i but the 700i I heard was powerful and lively, just be careful with pairing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:04 am 

So, a slightly laid back speaker with vinyl through a tube-based phono would be okay in your opinion?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:45 am 
Premium User

Mike Smith wrote:
So, a slightly laid back speaker with vinyl through a tube-based phono would be okay in your opinion?

The 600i paired well with Audio Note AN-J/AN-E, Neat S3Xi, Audiovector S1 Avantgarde, ELAC FS 607, Martin Logan ESL 15A, Marten Miles 5, Spatial M3 Turbo and various Totem models.

It did not pair very well with Monitor Audio Silver 8, ATC SCM 19 & 40, PSB T3, KEF 205. At CES I thought the Monitor Audio PL 500 II was a hot mess with Evolution separates but a show is no place to make judgements.

Pretty random list but that was everything I experimented with during ownership with a digital front end. The 700i had a nearly identical sound signature. Having a laid back speaker probably wouldn't hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:45 am 

vinylbrother wrote:
MOON 700i,
Has anybody out there actually heard one, or at least know where one " might " be available to hear at a local dealer in Ontario?

http://www.simaudio.com/en/where-to-buy.html#resultats

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:02 pm 

I have been using a 700i for 7 years and I love it.
Paired with Focal Alto Utopia.
Had the chance to compare it to a 600i for a month at home.
With the Alto at least, there was a big difference between the two.
Maybe not enough power with the 600i, a little bit dry and I was missing some bass.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:32 pm 

Moon amps really love Magnepan I was using the 340i at 100 watts at 8ohms 200 watts into 4ohms The pairing was magical Good luck with whatever you decide Simaudio proudly made in Canada