Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:19 am
Posts: 9
Location: Nepean, ON, CA
Hey everyone!

So been doing as much research as I can squeeze into my day reading about different amps/forum posts/trying to get an idea of what would go well with my CM1s that I bought a week ago.

So far I had tried then with a rotel 1052 and they sounded so bright with no mids and it was just a really weird sound.

Been looking at NAD amps as well as Marantz as a lot of people seem to use a PM7200 or higher as for NAD it seems the c370. The problem is I am having s hard time tracking these down in Ottawa to try to listen to them or even online to purchase used as the shipping from the states at the moment is 100$ according to ebay.

Wondering if anyone has any other recommendations as the ones i listed above are from a year or 2 ago. I think I want something that is mostly neutral with a slight roll off in treble.

I also don't mind if it's a integrated amp or if I need to get a amp/pre amp. I won't be adding a sub or any other speakers I just want 2ch audio.


thank you so much for your help once again!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 1922
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Planet Of Sound in Ottawa carries both NAD and Marantz among others you can check out.

https://www.planetofsoundonline.com/pag ... s-location


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:45 am
Posts: 1134
Location: Burlington, ON, CA
Krevvy wrote:
Hey everyone!

So been doing as much research as I can squeeze into my day reading about different amps/forum posts/trying to get an idea of what would go well with my CM1s that I bought a week ago.

So far I had tried then with a rotel 1052 and they sounded so bright with no mids and it was just a really weird sound.


Yes, CM1s are bright. B&W as a brand is known for this sound characteristic. And you seem to be in the group that finds this a problem. And now you're trying to find an amp that can compensate for this - a big mistake.
These are the wrong speakers for you. Get rid of them and start over with Wharfedale diamonds, Q Acoustics, Kef Qs etc. that will sound fine on ANY $500-$1000 amp out there. Don't waste any more effort trying to fix the character of the CM1s. They are what they are.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:19 am
Posts: 9
Location: Nepean, ON, CA
hollinger wrote:
Krevvy wrote:
Hey everyone!

So been doing as much research as I can squeeze into my day reading about different amps/forum posts/trying to get an idea of what would go well with my CM1s that I bought a week ago.

So far I had tried then with a rotel 1052 and they sounded so bright with no mids and it was just a really weird sound.


Yes, CM1s are bright. B&W as a brand is known for this sound characteristic. And you seem to be in the group that finds this a problem. And now you're trying to find an amp that can compensate for this - a big mistake.
These are the wrong speakers for you. Get rid of them and start over with Wharfedale diamonds, Q Acoustics, Kef Qs etc. that will sound fine on ANY $500-$1000 amp out there. Don't waste any more effort trying to fix the character of the CM1s. They are what they are.


I don't mind the brightness just want to stay away from a amp that would further increase it. I enjoy the detail and imaging of the cm1. I enjoyed listening to them before I bought them, just having trouble finding what to pair them with as they are also a hard speaker to drive from reading.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:19 am
Posts: 9
Location: Nepean, ON, CA
sthomas1049 wrote:
Planet Of Sound in Ottawa carries both NAD and Marantz among others you can check out.

https://www.planetofsoundonline.com/pag ... s-location


Yea I been to that store a few times for other audio stuff and while I like the store and owner I am looking st buying used gear. Great store though.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:50 am
Posts: 1
Location: MISSISSAUGA, ON, CA
I am using CM1 S1 as surround speakers with an old Yamaha HTR6230 receiver. They sound fine to me. Even 5 channel Enhanced Audio setting they seem to work fine with music. I have not tried them as front channel. I believe they will do just fine. Are they new? you may need to give them some time to break in. This is only my opinion :)
Everyone will provide you with their own experiences, you are a better judge of your listening preferences.
To upgrade my system I am searching Marantz AV receiver with pre-out connections to upgrade to a dedicated AMP in future.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:02 am
Posts: 1075
Location: Kingston, ON, CA
At 84 dB, those speakers aren't all that efficient so you'll require some serious horsepower to get them singing.

At your budget, I'd recommend you consider a pro amp like the Yamaha PC-2602 for $550: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649312126-yamaha-pc-2602-professional-power-amplifier/

Power output: 260 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo), 800W into 8Ω (mono)
Frequency response: 10Hz to 50kHz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.05%
Damping factor: 250

Granted, they aren't eye candy but they are bullet-proof!

_________________
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." (Aristotle, 384-322 BCE)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:24 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:36 pm
Posts: 3644
Location: Vernon, BC, CA
If the Rotel pairing was too bright you might be in trouble.

Try a NAD C372 or similar. The CM1's can be a pain in the butt to get sounding right.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:41 am
Posts: 4
Location: Warszawa, , PL
Ive heard few B&W with old Rotels 9xx, bass wasn't for me, too soft


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:15 am 
Online

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:47 am
Posts: 3836
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
The question of partnering an Amp with B&W 's comes up quite a bit on CAM.

Fortunately your CM1's have an impedance curve that says above 5 ohms.
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measu ... rs/bw_cm1/
So they are relatively easy load for an amp to drive.
However, like all B&W's, I'm sure they still want plenty of current.

If your budget is $500, I recommend finding a used Harman Kardon receiver.
An H/K HD3500 receiver will partner with those speakers quite well and should sell for around $100 - $140.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_libra ... 3500.shtml
PLus this amp is quite good at filtering out Ottawa 's Hydro.

Suggest you stay clear of the Rotel.

The next step above the H/K receiver is a British Integrated Amp.
British Integrated Amps partner with 600 series B&W's very well - go figure.
In particular, those with jFET's on the input and MOSFET's on the output
Like a Creek or Roksan Caspian.
However, these are beyond your budget.

.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:39 pm
Posts: 1684
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
My CDM1 sound great with Rotel RMB-1075. For 2-channel, Rotel RB-1080 will sound wonderful. It's a previous generation Rotel, not a modern generation, which sounds quite different.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:19 am
Posts: 9
Location: Nepean, ON, CA
Thank you everyone for the replies!!!


Talked to the owner of teh record center on the phone John and he recommended the following, they are mostly within my budget

Luxman LV-105
Rotel RB 1090 amp and i think witha rotel RC pre amp (not 100% on the preamp if that what it was)
Adcom 5800 amp and a Acom GFP 555/565 preamp

I am heading to the store tomorrow as he is going to do some research on the CM1s as well and see what he can come up with, but those 3 are good places to start.

Thank you again for the help!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:39 am
Posts: 1477
Location: Copenhagen, , DK
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649392496-shanling-a21-integrated/?utm_source=featured_ad&utm_medium=web&utm_content=category&utm_campaign=649392496

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/which-integrated-nait-5i-panache-or-shanling ---> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Eastern-Electric-M520-Stereo-Tube-Integrated-Amp-Box-manual-remote-BEAUTY-/302324835374

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649393032-pathos-classic-one-mkiii-integrated-amp/

http://www.quebecaudio.com/occasions/index.php/annonces/ampli-integre-roksan-kandy-ka-1/

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/portal-audio-panache-or-marantz-pm8004 ---> http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649395354-nice-marantz-pm-8005-integrated-amp-w-phono-w-remote-complete/

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649395937-nad-c375bee/

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649397808-musical-fidelity-a300-integrated-amp/

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649397438-anthem-integrated-225-amplifier/

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649390073-anthem-mrx500-230-v/

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46452 ---> https://www.avforums.com/threads/anthem-mrx-510-with-music.1938502/
Quote:
'liamgdr' says: >>For what its worth, which may not be a lot, I recently swapped my budget 2 channel amp (Marantz pm6005) for a Anthem MRX 500! The first thing I noticed was how detailed the Anthem MRX 500 sounded in comparison to the Marantz two channel amp without loosing any warmth in the soundstage, the bass response was also better on the Anthem MRX 500 AV receiver than the Marantz pm6005 two channel amp! generally everything sounds clean and composed on MRX 500<<


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:39 pm
Posts: 1684
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Krevvy wrote:
Thank you everyone for the replies!!!


Talked to the owner of teh record center on the phone John and he recommended the following, they are mostly within my budget

Luxman LV-105
Rotel RB 1090 amp and i think witha rotel RC pre amp (not 100% on the preamp if that what it was)
Adcom 5800 amp and a Acom GFP 555/565 preamp

I am heading to the store tomorrow as he is going to do some research on the CM1s as well and see what he can come up with, but those 3 are good places to start.

Thank you again for the help!


If you can get that RB-1090 for a good price, go for it. I have had Adcom and Rotel head to head, although smaller models in both series. Rotel has warmer sound, and IMHO reproduces details better than Adcom.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:59 am
Posts: 1
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
I have an Acurus A250 that I might be open to selling. I used it with B&W and liked it but YMMV. If you're interested, I don't know what a fair price is these days, but I can't imagine it's over $500.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group