Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:29 am 

Hi,

I jacked an Audio Sensibility Impact phono cable into my Gold Note turntable three days ago. To quote EL34, 'wow and double wow'! Steve Huang now has my complete admiration. These cables are Canadian made and are based on scientific metallurgical research performed at U. of T. by Dr Ohno.

I am not much of a cable guy. I make my own interconnect cables with lengths of Kimber PBJ and I use very thin solid core speaker wire exclusively. I have always recognized that phono interconnect cables need special attention as they must be capable of suitably transferring very very tiny partial millivolts of low level information, particularly for MC cartridges. I used a Grace 707 arm for years and it was one of the first tone-arms that had a silver Litz phono interconnect cable. So I am not exactly a dyed in blood cable agnostic.

Let me cut right to the chase. EVERYTHING was improved, and not just marginally, but enormously. The AS Impact cable had as dramatic an effect (on vinyl) as shifting from a MM to a MC cartridge. From the very first notes it was just right, organic and cohesive, with oodles of tonal colour and richness. Through this cable I was able to detect a tiny bit of stylus sibilance that was tamed with an increase of a quarter gram of stylus pressure and a small change in the anti-skating force. Rock solid. That's all I really can say about it. I know I will live with this cable for a lengthy period of time, god willing.

Steve Huang also offers this particular cable in silver wire in his Statement line. For those who are so inclined it could well be worth the extra bucks. But for around $200 for the one meter (OCC - Ohno Casting) copper version, any Gold Note turntable owner will likely be thrilled with the results when it is compared directly to the stock phono cables. Steve can terminate his OCC cables for almost any tone-arm so other tables are open season.

Cheers,
David Neice

Last edited by buybye88 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:59 am 

I used a Neotech NEI-3001 for my Project RPM 9.2 Evo that was custom made by Gene at Take Five Audio. Both Neotech and Audio Sensibility source their cable from Wan Lung LTD which is only 1 of 3 manufactures world wide that specialize in the OCC process. I was reluctant to try the Neotech, due to it’s construction - I didn’t think it would have been a good match for a low output MC. But having a good conversation with Gene, he sold me on his technique on shunting the shield to the ground lug of your phono pre. Tried many cables with my TT, some costing a pretty penny but the Neotech had the biggest impact. I was quite surprised. Sold the turntable but kept the cable!! :D

Congratulations on your new discovery. Steve is an awesome dude…have dealt with him in the past and even got to see his assembly process.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:10 pm 

Hi,

Note to sthomas1049. Very interesting about that Neotech cable of yours using the same OCC wire, and probably extruded from the same dies. Gene Evely really knows his stuff. What a treasure to have him so close to us. I had the pleasure of visiting him a month or so ago at his home/shop when I bought a pair of Vandersteen 1cs that had been in his downstairs shop for years. I got them for my son-in-law, who has the sort of large open space they need. I am saving them up for he and my daughter as a Christmas present, although I have this daily urge to unbox them and break them out.

The AS Impact OCC cable just knocked me out. Last night I played a vinyl version of the old Bob James album 'Heads'. I did it intentionally because I haven't spun it up for maybe 20+ years. It was like I never heard it before. I mean I knew the melodies and so on but the detailing and sound-staging was just incredible. Even the WAF was floored by it.

Cheers,
David Neice

Last edited by buybye88 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:34 pm 

We are privileged to have both Gene and Steve playing a huge roll in hi fi within Canada. Cheers to you both! Awesome guys and great products!

Not sure if Steve uses a OEM cable(s) from Wan Lung or if they are custom orders strictly for him.

I have tried OCC cable elsewhere in my system. Differences are subtle is any. But as a phono cable I was blown away. I have had the opportunity of trying many different cables from DIY concoctions to uber fancy a$$ stuff that comes in a metal briefcase. I have never witness such a change as OCC made to my phono front end. I know exactly where you are coming from.

What cartridge are you using? I was using a Cadenza Black on a Pro-Ject RPM 9.2 Evolution paired to Manley Chinook phono pre. Sold the table and cartridge but kept the Manley which is another f’n awesome product!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:12 pm 

Hi,

Note to sthomas1049. About the front end - at this very moment. A Grado Silver in the B5.1 arm mounted on a Gold Note Valore 425 with the AS Impact cable patched into a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE phono stage. Later I expect to patch in a moving coil as I have a Hana on order.

I am floored by this. I mean we all do swaps and get pretty used to hearing small differences, sort of like tuning your guitar. But this is no small difference. I think it is one of those things where those tiny millivolt signals coming from a cartridge really need a very clean pipe to get all the analog information through and the OCC process makes that possible. It is just amazing. But I think your experience with the other OCC cables, interconnects and speaker wire and so on, also suggests that the gains are more limited if the basic signal strength is much higher. Having listened to this product now for three days I simply can't imagine not having this phono cable in the chain. And possibly even the silver Statement .....

Cheers,
David Neice

Last edited by buybye88 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:01 pm 

Steve is a great guy. I use his silver statement phono cable which sounds great and also his pc's and silver statement xlr terminated in the rest of the system. Switched to his hdmi cable for the pj as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:13 pm 

It is indeed a fabulous cable. Enjoy!

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/v ... hp?t=45784

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:28 pm 

When i can scrape together the coin i will be paying Steve a visit for a 5 pin din to RCA cable for my Sumiko Premier MMT with TTW damping weight kit.
Ive got it mounted on a Systemdek lll transcription deck.
I owned a Project RPM 3 a while ago and used Steves Impact cable and was very impressed.
Sold the table and cable for the Systemdek lll which smoked the Project for less money.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:00 pm 

David,
Will this cable fit my Bryston BLP-1?. I've read that the BLP-1 has the same 4 pin din as the Goldnotes but I'm not sure if they're identical.
Ken.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:35 pm 

KJT1 wrote:
David,
Will this cable fit my Bryston BLP-1?. I've read that the BLP-1 has the same 4 pin din as the Goldnotes but I'm not sure if they're identical.
Ken.

Audio Sensibility offers many different connections if that is your concern. The 4 pin Din should be identical.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:11 pm 

KJT1 wrote:
David,
Ken.

I would think it does Ken considering it is Goldnote building that table for Bryston.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:12 pm 

Hi,

Note to KJT1. Chipmunk1957 is right. Gold Note builds the Bryston TT. sthomas1049 is also right. Steve Huang can terminate pretty well anything. In the case of the Gold Note arms, GN uses a European 4 pin male DIN plug at the tone arm junction. This is critical. Steve originally terminated mine (last year) with a 4 pin DIN he had sourced somewhere but it was a bit thicker in the plug wall than the original and I was loathe to force fit it because the Gold Note tone arm pillar has a very tender piece of metal foil inside the pillar that acts as the ground. So, I didn't use it - at all. Then I got an email from Steve in September saying he had sourced exactly the same DIN plug that Gold Note uses and would re-terminate mine. Who does that nowadays? Nobody. So I sent it off and a week later it came back with the identical Gold Note type DIN attached and it fits like a glove. I still didn't plug it in until after I got those new Spendors, and when I did, well, oh my gosh. I can't just highly recommended it - I think it is ESSENTIAL! I just listened, 20 minutes ago, to a fresh unplayed 180 gram pressing of Van Morrison's 'Astral Weeks', which Greil Marcus claims he will be buried with, and it was stunning. Richard Davis' bass lines have never sounded more sublime. Get this cable.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:25 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Note to KJT1. Chipmunk1957 is right. Gold Note builds the Bryston TT. sthomas1049 is also right. Steve Huang can terminate pretty well anything. In the case of the Gold Note arms, GN uses a European 4 pin male DIN plug at the tone arm junction. This is critical. Steve originally terminated mine (last year) with a 4 pin DIN he had sourced somewhere but it was a bit thicker in the plug wall than the original and I was loathe to force fit it because the Gold Note tone arm pillar has a very tender piece of metal foil inside the pillar that acts as the ground. So, I didn't use it - at all. Then I got an email from Steve in September saying he had sourced exactly the same DIN plug that Gold Note uses and would re-terminate mine. Who does that nowadays? Nobody. So I sent it off and a week later it came back with the identical Gold Note type DIN attached and it fits like a glove. I still didn't plug it in until after I got those new Spendors, and when I did, well, oh my gosh. I can't just highly recommended it - I think it is ESSENTIAL! I just listened, 20 minutes ago, to a fresh unplayed 180 gram pressing of Van Morrison's 'Astral Weeks', which Greil Marcus claims he will be buried with, and it was stunning. Richard Davis' bass lines have never sounded more sublime. Get this cable.

Cheers,
David Neice

Thank you David,
I intend to get at least that cable. Can't help but wonder though, if that one is that good... How good is his Statement Cable?. You gotta love this hobby!.
Ken.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:55 am 

Hi,

Note to KJT1. I can't comment on the silver Statement cables (I keep writing Testament - some biblical tic). Blake pointed us to the previous forum on the AS phono cables found here: https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/v ... hp?t=45784

The commentary on that thread seems mostly to be about the copper versions. Perhaps the molecular composition of silver and copper are affected differently by the Ohno casting process. Hard to say. We need a trained metallurgist to weigh in here. Meanwhile I will go with what works; the copper ones are magic for sure.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:02 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Note to KJT1. I can't comment on the silver Statement cables (I keep writing Testament - some biblical tic). Blake pointed us to the previous forum on the AS phono cables found here: v ... hp?t=45784

The commentary on that thread seems mostly to be about the copper versions. Perhaps the molecular composition of silver and copper are affected differently by the Ohno casting process. Hard to say. We need a trained metallurgist to weigh in here. Meanwhile I will go with what works; the copper ones are magic for sure.

Cheers,
David Neice

Thank you again David,
Well if nothing else, going with what works will save me about $300.00. Gotta like that. :D
Ken.