Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:14 pm 

I have been reading/investigating/pricing speed control devices.
It seems as though they are made to mate up with specific TT and there isn't much in the way of inter changing. For example, if I remember correctly, project makes one that is for project tt, vpi makes a couple for vpi tt.
My question is, is there a generic type speed controller? Would it be realistic to get one custom made? The VPI controllers cost more than a decent tt!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:31 pm 

If you are handy, there is a project at DIYAudio dotcom. What table are you using?

If you're not so handy, the Phoenix Engineering Falcon will work, probably. It's a bit higher grade controller than the DIYAudio project, but also a bit pricier. Excellent product, though, better arguably than the OEM units.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 am 

VPI tables do NOT have DC motors so they require frequency control units (SDS or ADS) that vary the AC line voltage and freq. Many other modern TT's use DC motors and therefore only need a stable variable DC power supply which is relatively inexpensive in comparison.

If you have a VPI then only a Variable Frequency Controller or VPI's own SDS or ADS will work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:15 am 

Ive been running the Falcon PSU and Roadrunner techometer for a while now and enjoy its 33.333 steadiness and precision everytime I spin an LP.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:32 am 

From what I hear, Phoenix engineering company with its Falcon and Roadrunner is not in business anymore. If I'm wrong with that assumption, could someone set matters straight since I would love to get one of these units for my Lenco idler drive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:59 am 

The Music Hall Cruise Control 2 will work with any A/C turntable that draws less than 3 watts. I use one with my Rega Planar 2.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:19 am 

The vpi sds will work with all ac motors and is the best unit I know of.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:55 pm 

Clear Audio, Linn, Music Hall, Pro-Ject, Phoenix Engineering, Walker, VPI, Rega. I may have missed a few.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:05 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

waveform generator, programmable, etc...a class d amp, and a coupling transformer, some filter circuitry..and you can fine tune your own PS for your own turntable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:39 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:
waveform generator, programmable, etc...a class d amp, and a coupling transformer, some filter circuitry..and you can fine tune your own PS for your own turntable.

Maybe we should get together.
Tell me what to buy, and I will will pass you stuff while I watch you build it.
I will bring the beer. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:46 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

scarbpaul12 wrote:
Teo Audio wrote:

Maybe we should get together.
Tell me what to buy, and I will will pass you stuff while I watch you build it.
I will bring the beer. :D

Most smaller class d amps can deal out fairly serious current. Then you filter and use ac coupling via a transformer to current or voltage convert and isolate at the same time. the programmable waveform generator should have waveshape tuning, as well, to get off and away from a pure sine shape.Might be better than pure sine shapes, only one way to tell, via trying it.

and fine tune the whole rig with Dr. Feickert's speed test program and a 3150hz record signal. You can play with mass, belts, pullety's and so on..and arrive at something spectacular. possibly. Something specific and unique to your particular scenario.

Of course, that's essentially almost the same..as an entire design effort, but to me, it's the same as any old jury rigged thing I had to do when doing an install at a bar or pro scenario.... Bring your build chops as dey's gonna be needed. I've sometimes had to build something right on the night before a trade show opening day, in my room. No sleep, just solder smoke, etc. One time I had to do an entire projector engine modification for the main event...