Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:01 pm 

I bought a pair of Radio Speakers Of Canada Columbus Series 2 Pinta for $20. at Value Village. The cabinets are in good shape and the woofers look good however the tweeters are shot. They may work but the paper cones are torn. I think I found a suitable replacement in the Goldwood GT25 tweeter. Can anyone tell me if this or any other tweeter would be the best solution? Thanks in advance for your info.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:13 pm 

About as close as you will get for an almost 50 year old speaker. Might be a bit brighter than the original as it extends out further in the highs, but the crossover frequency and sensitivity seems to be pretty much in the ballpark.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:32 am 

In the 70`s the warehouse for RSC was one block from my home.
We used to go and get speakers and parts out of the garbage bin.
Some were still good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:00 am 

I think I had a pair of those?
If they were the ones named after Christopher Columbus's Ships,they were the ones I had?
Mine were 3-ways.12 in long throw woofer.Sealed mid

I totally restored the cabs,and used Black grille cloth.
My Friend still uses them,they looked very Retro Cool on Silver Sansui stands that tilted the cabs back so tweeter fires at ear level.

The tweeters were wiped out by the previous owners Dog,I'm certain he dis-liked those tweeters,a lot,lol.

We changed a couple caps,but left some Big Green ones,then choose a Phenolic style tweeter with close specs,he ordered it from Parts Express,they were on sale too,and as far as we were concerned we nailed it! He loves them!
Good Luck with yours!
EP Concert Kenny Tonight's Concert Genesis When in Rome 2007

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:24 pm 

Kenny, I see you're in London and I am too. Just north of London in Birr. I have some Santa Maria speakers that need tweeters and was wondering if you can find out the unit your friend chose? I was going to make it a project to seek out the best match for the incredible woofers that these speakers have, but if it's already done...? If the drivers are a good price, I might put my money into having the midrange reconed and call it a day. Let me know if you can help. My email is lrwilliston at hotmail dot com if you want to reply

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:44 pm 

Carboniferous wrote:
Kenny, I see you're in London and I am too. Just north of London in Birr. I have some Santa Maria speakers that need tweeters and was wondering if you can find out the unit your friend chose? I was going to make it a project to seek out the best match for the incredible woofers that these speakers have, but if it's already done...? If the drivers are a good price, I might put my money into having the midrange reconed and call it a day. Let me know if you can help. My email is lrwilliston at hotmail dot com if you want to reply

You are replying to a post that is almost 19 months old. You might do better sending him a private message, but you will need a few more posts before you are able to use that feature.

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.