Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:53 am 

Is anyone aware of any Revel dealers in the Calgary area?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:56 am 
Premium User

Audio Room in Calgary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:36 am 

Great! Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:55 am 

Unfortunately just called them and they don't carry Revel. Heading down anyway to check out what they do have.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:00 am 
Premium User

Weird. I called the Revel rep when I saw your post and he pointed me to Audio Room. He mentioned they at least have Concerta 2 Floorstanding speakers there. He must have confused it with a different store.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:41 am 

Hi garageman:

Check with James at Absolute Audio in Bowness. Perhaps he can order them.
Otherwise you may have to make the drive to Edmonton's Audio Ark.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:30 pm 

Thanks guys, when I went to the Audio Room they did say they may be auditioning them. So maybe that's where that came from. Perhaps the fellow that answered the phone wasn't aware of that.
They did let me listen to some, oh shoot, I have so much info in my head at the moment, I think PMC? 2023 that sounded really awesome, and two different Tannoy speakers. One set was a very large oak model maybe prestige? As well as XL8s? I think. I have to go back and hear the Totem hawks again. It was searching for Totem Hawk reviews that made me want to hear the Revel speakers. I think it was posts from James_W or someone with a similar Avatar, that got me curious. But those PMCs sounded really good to me. I should have taken notes.

Absolute Audio is actually the closest audio store in Calgary to me. And yet I have never been in there. So would be great if they could get them in. Clearly I have been too reliant on the internet maybe assumed some dealers were out of my budget. The guys at the Audio Room were great though, as have been everyone at Base and Sounds of Music.
I just can't spend that kind of money without making sure I have made a good choice.
Take care

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:03 pm 

Had not heard of Base Electronics until just now :oops:
jp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:43 pm 

J. P. wrote:
jp

I was looking for a Yamaha amp to listen to. A-S2100. There were 3 dealers in the city that represented Yamaha as near as I could tell. A Chain which would order one in with a strong expectation of you purchasing it. They wouldn't open the box otherwise. An audio store who wouldn't order it in without a commitment to buy, and Base who had an A-S1100 for listening. The Specs were similar so that was as good as I was going to get. The fellow put up with me for hours listening and went out of his way to recommend options which would save me money. I hooked up my current CD player and brought my own music selections. All at his suggestion. Totally no pressure environment, if they carry the brands you want to hear, its well worth a look. I suppose you can always find a better deal, but I am very happy with the deal on the amp. US websites want more. He even carried it to the car. So even though I read the specs over and over I didn't realize it weighed over 60 lbs till I tried to find somewhere to put it down in the house. I'm afraid it will break anything I set it down on. Its on a big stuffed chair in the living room still in the box.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:00 pm 

J. P. wrote:
jp

Neither have I. Stopped in at Absolute's new store on the way home. Nice larger place now, with an area for headphones and related amps.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:03 pm 

airdronian wrote:
J. P. wrote:
jp

Neither have I. Stopped in at Absolute's new store on the way home. Nice larger place now, with an area for headphones and related amps.

Oh good! I will be looking for headphones after I figure out the speakers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:09 pm 

James_W wrote:
Weird. I called the Revel rep when I saw your post and he pointed me to Audio Room. He mentioned they at least have Concerta 2 Floorstanding speakers there. He must have confused it with a different store.

Well I just checked the email I use for internet inquires (that one doesn't show up on my phone) and Yes I had a email from Grand Prix marketing telling me to contact the audio room. So something may be in the works but not official maybe. Sounds like the same information you received.

-- 17 Sep 2016 04:15 --

garageman wrote:
James_W wrote:

Well I just checked the email I use for internet inquires (that one doesn't show up on my phone) and Yes I had a email from Grand Prix marketing telling me to contact the audio room. So something may be in the works but not official maybe. Sounds like the same information you received.

Even worse I've had that email since Wednesday and didn't realize it. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:47 pm 
Premium User

If it got you out demoing gear it was a good learning experience. Good quality sound is very affordable these days. Hopefully they will have a Concerta 2 series speaker for demo in your area at some point. The Arcam A29 paired with Revel M16's is probably the best sound I've heard under $4,000

Good luck on the search/journey. If something brings you through the Okanagan drop me a line and we can play with some nice toys!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:54 am 

James_W wrote:
If it got you out demoing gear it was a good learning experience. Good quality sound is very affordable these days. Hopefully they will have a Concerta 2 series speaker for demo in your area at some point. The Arcam A29 paired with Revel M16's is probably the best sound I've heard under $4,000

Good luck on the search/journey. If something brings you through the Okanagan drop me a line and we can play with some nice toys!

Thank you! Yes, it has been fun so far. I will be heading back out again today to hear more.
We usually end up in Kelowna at least every other year in summer, saw a lot of smoke last year. I hope this year has been better for everyone.
A friend just moved to near Vernon and I was supposed to have visited in August but didn't get out there. Some milestone events for us to deal with that have been time intensive. Very likely I will next spring or summer .
Take care

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:15 pm 

Heard the Hawks again today as well as the Forests and Element Earth. Last time I thought I liked the Hawks better, this time it is the Forest. Well the Earths really, but they are out of range. I think the Hawks and Forests were hooked to a different amp this time, it was a new Technics set up.
Then they spoiled me but letting me hear these Wilson speakers hooked to a monstrous Audio Research tube amp. Must be good to be King!
Back to the Audio Room and heard some PMC 25s and Focal Aria. So now I think I have it narrowed down to Forest or Aria. Unless something else pops up when I get to Bowness :?