Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:06 am 

I'm considering a change in my power/pre setup, currently a Bryston 4b sst2 and a PrimaLuna Prologue 3 preamp. Both are very nice, I like them and they work well together driving my Energy Veritas 2.3's.
I just want to simplify that part of the system and the thought of the Nova 150 and what it brings, all in one box, is appealing to me.

So, I'm wondering if any fellow CAM'ers have, or have heard, this amp and would care to share impressions.
The not-yet released Nova 300 is appealing as well although I don't really need all that power but it also has the improved DAC in it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:28 am 

I have one at home for evaluation right now. It's only got maybe 50+ hours on it. I'm not sure how much burn in it will need, but the bass quality has already improved some (already good bass out of the box). Mids seems restrained out of the box too, but is also improving. Other than that, nothing remotely negative to say about it. The DAC is top notch and sounds as good as my Hegel HD12 with cables worth as much as it hooked straight into the AUX 1 input of the Nova 150.

Overall, it is a smooth sounding amp. The 4bsst2 is a little more honest, for better or worse. And a touch more transparent. For triple the cost, it really should be though. And it's marginal enough to say that the Nova 150 is a truly great value. Especially if you need a great DAC.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:48 am 

To sum it up
Areas that the Nova 150 excels at:
Bass quality and impact
Smooth highs
Very black background (super quiet)
Power and control
Slightly dark and engaging
Musicality

Areas that could be better:
Transparency
PRaT

That's my take so far. I might come back to this thread in a few days if the pros and cons change at all with 200+ hours. Its running at home as we speak, and has been since Friday.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:52 am 

Adriankn wrote:
To sum it up
Areas that the Nova 150 excels at:
Bass quality and impact
Smooth highs
Very black background (super quiet)
Power and control
Slightly dark and engaging
Musicality

Areas that could be better:
Transparency
PRaT

That's my take so far. I might come back to this thread in a few days if the pros and cons change at all with 200+ hours. Its running at home as we speak, and has been since Friday.

Excellent, thanks. I must say, I like those positive qualities that you describe.
Have you, or will you use the phono stage at all?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:23 pm 

I am awaiting mine to arrive at my dealers. Hoping to have it home by the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:27 pm 

mpublicover wrote:
I am awaiting mine to arrive at my dealers. Hoping to have it home by the weekend.

Ah, my kingdom for a dealer! Audio, to be clear :mrgreen:
What speakers will you be driving with it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:34 pm 

Mike wrote:
mpublicover wrote:

haven't decided that yet. Kind of an impulse buy with some circumstances around it. I have a well cared for pair of Rokk in the set up now paired with the Nova 125 that the new 150 will be replacing but I'm sure that will change. Went to look at some Dynaudio's today but came across a 2-Xperience SB trade in that took possession of my senses so the money's all gone until I move some of the surplus pieces I have before seeking other speakers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:08 pm 

mpublicover wrote:
Mike wrote:
mpublicover wrote:

haven't decided that yet. Kind of an impulse buy with some circumstances around it. I have a well cared for pair of Rokk in the set up now paired with the Nova 125 that the new 150 will be replacing but I'm sure that will change. Went to look at some Dynaudio's today but came across a 2-Xperience SB trade in that took possession of my senses so the money's all gone until I move some of the surplus pieces I have before seeking other speakers.

I have not heard the 150 yet but I do have a Nova 220SE in the bedroom system. It is paired with a set of Bryston Mini T's with very good results but I was really surprised at how well it paired with the Harbeth SHL5's in the living room. The Peachtree is more forgiving than Bryston ( I had a B135sst2 as well as a BP26/2.5Bsst2 combo ) at the cost of some high end detail. I find it to be a very good listen for long sessions ( non-fatiguing ) and would expect the Nova 150 to be even better as it shares the same DAC and Pre-amp as the Peachtree SONADAC I have which ( to my ears ) sounds much better than the Hegel HD12 DAC and also works quite well as a Pre-amp. Anyways, that's my two cents. Good luck with whatever you choose.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:17 pm 

thanks KJT1, This will be my third dance with Peachtree units. I prefer the simple one remote for this system and their sizing is perfect for the stand I use as it won't accept a standard 17" component.
I had the Nova pre and 220 amp for a year before deciding I wanted to go to tubes. Last week I brought home a dealer demo Nova 125 which I would be perfectly happy with however the volume doesn't respond consistently to remote commands. This is in addition to a blown usb input that I knew of but he priced it right and we worked out an attractive price on a X-1 converter. Now it has to go in for repair so instead of waiting out the 3-4 weeks for the repair he did a solid on the new 150.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:33 pm 

It's funny you mention the volume control on the remotes. The 220 which is last generation tends to be over enthusiastic which makes hitting the sweet spot challenging whereas the SONADAC has a slow steady volume control which is great for tiny adjustments. Hopefully that is a sign that the new 150 will be the same as they are both current units.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:04 pm 

The volume control is very...controlled on the Nova 150. It's the smallest step remote volume I've ever experienced and I play with a lot of stuff. It's digital, not motorized. The input panel lights take over as the volume indicators and fade back to standard input lights. You can dim the lights as well. Even on high, they are quite dim, but visible. It's quite different from the glowing buttons on the previous Novas and the Sona. The metal front also looks a good deal better. The one I'm using is the Gloss Rosewood and it's gorgeous to look at for sure.

You can also control USB devices with the remotes forward/back track buttons. Kind of nice when I I'm listening to an album and don't want to pick up my tablet to change a song.

I have used the phono preamp. But with a Rega P2 that had no hours on the cart. It sounded good to me, but too many variables to definitely say. That, and I had played the phono input for about 20 minutes. So it too was not run in at all. You can switch the phono pre to aux input by holding the input button down on the front. I used the same input to try my DAC through it for comparison.

-- 10 Aug 2016 05:09 --

I also have a Deepblue2 at home for the week and it's just a beast. It has the same input fade volume lights and bass control on the front as the Nova 150 which is pretty cool. It's able to produce a silly amount of tuneful bass for a Bluetooth speaker.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:48 am 

That's a nice looking amp! Just wondering why they figured they needed to pack 150 wpc in there. Most new speakers, both in size and efficiency would not really tap into all that power.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:46 am 

there is a 300 version coming as well as a 500.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:22 am 

That's quite the lineup they'll have power-wise for the Nova line. All the bases are covered.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:02 pm 

I don't have a Peachtree but I see that they are class D - Icepower.

I have a Class D SDS-400C 140W into 8 and 280W into 4 Ohms and it took well over a month for everything in the amp to settle. I recommend giving your amp at least the same amount of time before judging.

Mine is amazing and replaced a Marantz MM7025 - no comparison.