Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SACD ......... dead???
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:57 am 

I heard this rumour ,last summer ,that Sony was going to bail on the SACD format and now it seems to have some truth......or does it??
I find it hard to believe.What has anyone else heard?

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl ... &read&3&4&

I never did get into SACD, mainly because I have hundreds of redbook cd's and peferred the quality redbook player route.

I just got tried of dumping cash ,into a hole ,chasing formats...vinyl..8 track...Cassettes...Cd's...VHS..Beta..DVD,s...SACD..DVDA..DAT..Minidisks.....etc..have I missed any??

Why did some survive and others didn't........my guess ........marketing.

It certainly wasn't because of quality.Can vinyl ,on a quality turntable, ever be topped?...why VHS over Beta.....DAT didn't stand a chance against Cassettes.
CD's out sold SACD and DVD-A .

Thoughts...

Post subject: Does it matter?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:29 am 

Does it matter? Well, it probably does if you want to invest heavily for SACD playback. However, I think the new crop of universal players (Denon 2910, 3910; Marantz 8400, 9400; Onkyo SP1000 etc.) pretty much solve the dilemma.

As far as SACD goes, I would just assume that there will be no more new titles (certainly not true) and see if there are enough releases already to take SACD playback into consideration when buying a new player (CD/SACD/Universal).

By the way, SACD is now part of Blu-Ray spec. So there is a good chance that SACD will live on a little longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:31 am 

What does it tell you when new vinyl sales outsold DVD-A and SACD combined?

While SACD may be a brilliant technical achievement (so was Sony's Betamax), when the public is forced to choose one format over another, they will typically choose something else entirely.

My only hope is that with releases like J-Lo's newest on Dual-Disc, there will be enough of a market created to encourage labels to keep on releasing new titles in some hi-res form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:43 am 

Just curious, where did you get your stats from?

I read somewhere that some of the SACD sale figures do not include hybrid SACDs. By that definition, I have no SACDs instead of the 20 SACDs that I thought I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:17 pm 

I am extremely disappointed in Sony if this "give up on SACD" turns out to be the case. I'm also bewildered that the public, or at least the more intelligent listening public, isn't demanding that ALL CD relases be SACD. SACDs sound fantastic and are at long last the equivalent of vinyl. SACD players are reasonably cheap and plentiful in the marketplace. I have three, a Marantz 8260, a modded Sony CE775 changer and a cheapie Pioneer 563A for party mode in the rec room (although it is interesting to note that John Atkinson in the March 2005 issue of Stereophile @ p. 53 compares the 563A's successor - the 578A favourably with the $3,500US McCormack UDP1 player as far as digital performance is concerned). I have invested in SACDs (bought one yesterday in fact) having bought the entire Rolling Stones London catalogue, the essential (in my view) Dylan catologue as well as Roxy Music, Bowie, T Rex, Who, Kinks, Beethoven, Handel, Mozart, Animals, Herman's Hermits, Cyndi Lauper, Pink Floyd, Sam Cooke and Big Star to name a few with many more to come. Most are stereo, some are multichannel and all but a very few are hybrid. With hybrid no one has the excuse that there's no point in buying the disc because you can't throw it in your portable or car CD player. You still get the regular res version anyway. I haven't found SACD pricing to be significantly higher than redbook (they're all too high to begin with).

As usual it's the money lovers/music haters who run the industry and make the decisions. Don't let the thugs who run music have their way. David Letterman recently was raving about hi def TV and wondered aloud why ALL TV is not hi def - in other words hi def should be the regular standard. But as long as people are happy with being manipulated and downloading often dodgy compressed slop at $0.99 a pop or whatever (and who has time to load stuff onto an iPod - unless you're a kid without a job I guess) then the industry won't bother to hang in to work to ensure that hi res music is successful. "Oh yes, hi res music - we tried that for a week and a half but it didn't take off even though it was shoved in a dusty corner at all the retail outlets and we released really weird titles on SACD that were guaranteed never to sell in the first place so we dumped it."

Never mind that hi res TVs are plastered everywhere in every electronics store even though you can't yet buy a hi def DVD player or hi def DVDs (yes I know some titles are starting to trickle out) and most cable or satellite providers include next to no hi def programming (I'm presently on Shaw who give me grand total of 5).

Hi res music is subtler, it's not as easy to flog on the public as hi res video. Therefore the Sonys of the world are going to chase the easier carrot. If you've seen School of Rock (essential viewing IMO) you know who Dewey identifies as the enemy - The Man. The death of SACD, if true, is another slimy example of The Man at work. Yes, there's many a fine redbook player out there and many great sounding redbook discs. That's fine. But how about striking a blow for higher standards and let the creeps who run everything know that some of us actually love music and care about it and it's not all aural wallpaper and we're not all cattle? Keep SACD and make THAT the standard. Every disc should be a hybrid disc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:33 pm 

http://www.avrev.com/news/1004/28.riaa.html

Quote:
To put the success of DVD-Audio and SACD in perspective in 2004, the two high-res formats combined sold as much as vinyl LPs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:26 pm 

Quote:
http://www.avrev.com/news/1004/28.riaa.html

I believe this is the one that does not include hybrid SACD as SACD. If so, this is highly misleading.

If nothing else, SACD sale figures should be much higher than DVD-A.

Post subject: SACD
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:13 pm 

Personally, I think SACD is doomed to fail as long as the price remains elevated above that of regular CD's, irregardless of whether the sound is better or not. The average person is simply not willing to spend more $ for better sound. The market will ultimately dicate which format is successful.... and the average consumer is simply unwilling to spend more cash for better sound. Especially when the price of music is as grossly overinflated as it is......

Post subject: SACD
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:38 am 

SACD; Great format in concept, but I find that the sound quality difference between it and a well recorded / produced / mixed ‘classic’ CD damned difficult to discern. I own a number of SACD and DVD Audio discs and a nice audio system. The only time that I am convinced that they sound [significantly] better is when I know I have one in the tray and convince myself that it sounds better… the placebo-effect in audio…

As I type this missive, I am listening to John Lee Hooker’s final output; ‘Chill Out’ (Pointblank Records 7243-8-40107-2-0). Its a bog-standard disk, no XRCD, SACD, DVD-A, or any other acronym, and I’ll be damned if this isn’t one of the best sounding recordings that I have had the pleasure of experiencing.

We live in an age of omni-present 128 Kb/s MP3’s which the majority of our society, (and pretty much all of its youth), consider ‘good-enough’, (yikes!). My career involves me working with several thousand clients from all social / economic walks of life; what I consider a pretty decent cross-section of the populace. You would be amazed how many of them, (over 70%), pirate music off the Internet at the aforementioned low bit rate… and are perfectly pleased with the sound!

In a nutshell, this leaves us; the audiophile community, to purchase all of the SACD etc., output on the marketÂ… not too bloody likely considering how pissed we are about the cost of the discs.

What the hell are the greedy bastard record companies thinking with their pricing schedules on ‘advanced audio technologies’…? Truly, I have no idea… As far as I am concerned, let it flop; perhaps in five years all new output, be it new or re-releases, will be SACD (etc.), without the extra pricing.

Andrew D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:47 am 
Distributor/Sponsor

Show Report:

If SACD is dead, one heck of a lot of people are still buying! XRCD and SACD sales are matching reg cd sales here at the Montreal show.

Scott

Post subject: SACD dead.... or not?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:09 am 

Here's perhaps a ray of hope:

http://www.audaud.com/audaud/APR05/feature/feature.html

:)

Post subject: SACD Club?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:10 am 

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent of yourmusic.com for Canadians?

Not really an SACD club but it does offer SACDs among its selections at low price.

Post subject: Sacd
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:04 am 

SACD does not apear to be dying off ,as one would think check out some of the news,and current titles being released on this site! http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/index.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:50 am 

You all sound pretty informed - help me out here; is SACD specifically recorded / processed to be played on a surround system? or is it simply better quality recording? I'm always willing to pay a bit more for excellent quailty, but I love stereo and really have no intention of going over to surround...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:15 am 
Distributor/Sponsor

Soundemon wrote:
You all sound pretty informed - help me out here; is SACD specifically recorded / processed to be played on a surround system? or is it simply better quality recording? I'm always willing to pay a bit more for excellent quailty, but I love stereo and really have no intention of going over to surround...

XRCD is your answer.

Scott