Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:15 pm 

H,

I am looking for suggestions for a replacement amplifier for a pair of Clements RT-7 speakers.

I listen mostly to jazz, rock, and blues. I would prefer a used amplifier under $1000. I live in Newmarket, so anything in the upper GTA would be perfect.

My current amp, a Harman Kardon Citation 19, is indicating the immanence of its next service date. But, I've never been very happy with its pairing with these speakers.

I have included a jpeg image of a speaker review

Attachments:
RT-7 Review 1-30-03_Page_1.jpg
RT-7 Review 1-30-03_Page_1.jpg [ 315.23 KiB | Viewed 2571 times ]
RT-7 Review 1-30-03_Page_2.jpg
RT-7 Review 1-30-03_Page_2.jpg [ 243.57 KiB | Viewed 2571 times ]
RT-7 Review 1-30-03_Page_3.jpg
RT-7 Review 1-30-03_Page_3.jpg [ 221.42 KiB | Viewed 2571 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:10 pm 

Bring em' to my place and we'll see how they sound on 225 watt mono-blocks ... the review guy didn't use wimpy amps ... see the list !!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:24 pm 

I would love the chance to try them out with better gear than I own or currently afford. Unfortunately, after swapping in our car for a hybrid, I no longer have a vehicle that can transport them.

I've certainly found these speakers to be harder to drive than their rated 88db efficiency would suggest. I think that I'd need at least a robust 80 W amplifier. But your right about those amps, none of which are affordable for me at the moment, which makes it pretty difficult to find something parallel within my budget.

Audio Eden, a nearby retailer, has an add for an Exposure IV Dual Regulated amp that I've been considering. However, I have not had time recently to get in there.

Ideally, I would like to find something in the next two weeks. My wife is on vacation till then, and she tends to resist any audio purchases that are made before I've discarded the equipment it is replacing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:48 pm 

For 1k I would definitely go vintage and look for a bigger power amp. You then could use something like a Realistic mixer as pre with phono ... they're way better than you think ... and your wife will love you thinking you sacrificed for an old amp (you paid $800-1K for lol) and a Radio Shack piece of junk ... a hero!

I read the first two pages, big and ambitious speakers ... how does your pair look? ... I'd never heard of them before.

Or go full Army -

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649201738-belles-ocm-500-soloist-amplifier/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:37 pm 

At 250 watts per side, the Musical Fidelity A5CR will make them sing. At Audio Oasis, asking price is a bit more than your budget, but you can negotiate the price. Worth a try: http://audiooasis.com/blog/2015/8/7/mus ... ke-ne.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:58 pm 

I remember listening to the original RT7 with a Creek 4040 driving them. They sounded incredible! I'm not sure if the specs changed from the original series but, they didn't need a lot of power. I think the point of the demo was to show that the $400. Creek was not only able to drive the Clements but, it did it with finesse. Of course when the Meitner PA 6i pre amp and STR50 or STR101 amplifiers were paired up the clements really showed their stuff. You should be able to find a very good integrated amp for $1000 either solid state or tube. I've been in the tube camp for the last few years. I think 50 to 100 wpc. would be enough to drive them. On a side note a few years ago I had a Musical Fidelity A300 integrated 150 wpc and sold it. The Opera Consonance 150 sounded better to my ears. Since then I've used three integrated tube amps, one of the amps has EL34s, the other two were KT88s the prices ranged from $600 to $2000. and I wouldn't consider going back to the Musical Fidelity, I find their amps bright (at least the integrated amps I've heard). Good luck, you have a great pair of speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:41 pm 

First off, thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I will have to apologize for my erratic response schedule - I start early and work long hours in the sun, my nights aren't very late or productive right now.

b3733366 - I would like to stick with power amps in general, they offer more flexibility for how I will likely use my system.

I actually own the original speakers from when they are manufactured in Texas. The speakers had taken a pretty good cosmetic beating, but I'm very happy with the price I paid. The original owner had surrounded the entire speaker with screen mesh, held in by several hundred staples, to protect them from some evil cats. Someone had also managed to melt candle wax all over them. Those issues have all been dealt with, and they had no corresponding sonic issues. But I have yet to refinish them to a point where my wife has stopped making comments.

I don't have much experience with Realistic mixers or preamps. However, my first 'real' system as a young teenager was a pair of minimus 7's with their corresponding Realistic amp. I loved those speakers, especially when compared to the crummy boombox's my friends had - I would definitely consider more realistic gear in the future. Could you point me towards a model that you had in mind? I have seen a number of realistic mixer boards online for cheap.

EL34 - The Musical Fidelity A5CR looks like an excellent solution. However, I would really like to keep within my budget at the moment. If I cannot find anything appropriate within my price range, I will revisit this option.

mac10 - I'm surprised the Creek drove them that well. I have tried them with 20W tube monoblocks, 30W Toshiba ss, an 80W Denon integrated, and a few other low powered options. They were all entirely unsatisfactory to my ears, but all of lower quality than that creek amp. I will be inheriting some tube gear in the near future. But, I have no idea what the power output of the items in the collection is.

I will look into the other amps you mentioned as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks again for the responses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:21 pm 

I have a pair of RT-7's they are very special speakers.

The RT-7 does like power but is not real hard to please. I have around 30 amps and never heard them hiccup with any of them.

Marc mc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:44 pm 

Try to hit an Anthem 225 used. All the power you need and the flexibility you need too.
They went up sharply in price since their $ 1,600 retail of a few years ago, but a few were available around the 1k mark used last year. Owned it before, great amp.

http://www.anthemav.com/products-curren ... e=overview

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:59 am 

How about an ADCOM GFA-555? It ought to be a lot cheaper than $1000. This was the amp that stereophile raved about as comparable in some ways to a Krell.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:21 am 

I have heard the RT-7's successfully powered by some Meitner monoblocks as well as an Acurus A250. So, you might add them to the puzzle.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:57 am 

marc mc The biggest problem I have had, and this is probably due to the cheap amps that I have been using, is that I have had poor bass at low volumes. My listening environment is directly under the kitchen, and my wife has very sensitive hearing, so I don't often get to listen at high volumes.

I recently tried out both a Marantz pm 8500 and the aforementioned Exposure IV DR. The Marantz had unsatisfactory bass until it was cranked, and a generally poor soundstage. Though, it did sound fantastic with my Clements 107di's. The Exposure is fantastic at low volumes, and overall much better than my Citation amp has even been.

I followed your subwoofer build a few years ago Marc, that was a hell of a thread.

-- 15 Aug 2015 19:59 --

Pneumonic wrote:
I have heard the RT-7's successfully powered by some Meitner monoblocks as well as an Acurus A250. So, you might add them to the puzzle.

I've never heard any Meitner products, but they have received several recommendations, so I will keep my eye out for one.

-- 15 Aug 2015 19:59 --

Erik I have had some bad luck with Adcom products in the past and would rather stay away from their products. Though, I would still like to hear the 555, since the glowing reviews it recieved got me interested in Adcom in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:16 pm 

The Adcom 555 is a serious contender -so long as you can find a good one. This will pizz off a few folks, but a Bryston 4BST/ SST/SST2 should be on your audition list. Listen and decide for yourself.
Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:34 pm 

find a used yamaha M70 if they need so much power and save a few buck along with saving a few points of iq

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:09 pm 

Erik wrote:
How about an ADCOM GFA-555? It ought to be a lot cheaper than $1000. This was the amp that stereophile raved about as comparable in some ways to a Krell.

A hafler dh-500 would fall into the same price bracket.

If it were me I would kick in the rest and jump on the music fidelity already mentioned. http://audiooasis.com/blog/2015/8/7/mus ... ke-ne.html