Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:04 pm 

I wanted to upgrade from celestion ditton 100 and i need to find something better , prefer vintage speakers. only<500 range.

I am waiting for some deals on sl6i or sl600. Any other similar speakers i can look for?.

My celestion ditton 100 sings. So smooth and transparent. I wanted to see whether sl6i better than this beauty.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:05 pm 

Surprised that there are not more answers. This was one of the great budget Brit speakers back in the 1980s with B&W 100, and Kef C series. Rich kids in university had these in their dorms. I could not quite afford any of them - they were all about $50-$100 more than I had to spend so I got gen 1 Paradigm 3se.

Virtually any quality UK monitor from that era will sound great. The SL6/6s/600 were a pretty big step up but keep in mind they need decent electronics and source. The 100 was usually used with a small quality Brit design amp (NAD, Rotel, Creek, Arcam etc) or Japanese receiver (h/k, Kenwood, Yamaha, Denon, Luxman) and a Dual or budget Thorens table. I would aim higher for the better speakers.

I run B&Ws from that era which were very nice - look for DM17, Matrix 1,2,3 or DM2000/3000.

Celestion had many fine models - I really liked the DL series too 6 and 8 and the later 5 and 7 too. Cheap but very good sounding.

Tannoy Mercury was another quality mid market speaker, though not of the SL6/DM17 calibre.

Best standmounter I have ever heard though is the B&W Matrix 805. Fairly easy to drive with any decent 80-100 wpc integrated and very even sounding. Very hard to find used though for the obvious reason.

Keep in mind most of these speakers were ideal for classical music listeners. For head banging metal there are better choices since all are restricted in the bass.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:52 pm 

Thanks.

This is my setup.

Creative t3 system. Replace Satellite with Celestion ditton 100. I do not need BASS. I have plenty from creative. It rocks.

Bass is tight from creative and Celestion sings. Incredible combination for money for nothing - dire straits. Awsome.

Now i need to upgrade that celestion 100 to Sl6. (if someone loan me that for a day will be awsome , so i can test whether it is worth to buy. Thanks.)

I need it only for music. It is even rocks with movies...because it brings lots of sound that is hidden in most speakers. Especially treble (high frequency) is very good.

First i am gona try sl6 for a month then probably try to find Epos14 as someone said it is equivalent to sl600.

Anyway i know what people missing when they do not listen to english speakers. CLARITY and TRANSPARENCY.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:12 am 

The Ditton 100 while they sounded very good on voice and upper register material had NO base response to speak of (92k to 20K). Without a sub woofer they were poor for most music. It would be difficult to even find a sub that would mate well with these as there would be a big frequency hole from approx. 60 to 90K. They would also not handle significant power very well and any attempt to feed them from a strong amp with volume would pop the tweeters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:52 am 

They were very much a high quality but budget design. Not really meant to be used with big amps or big rooms. Very pleasant for a small bedroom or typical UK sized sitting room, where a lot of bass is a bad thing for the neighbours.

6 year old thread!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:29 am 

oi oi...

Ok bought T4W creative speaker for bass and now looking for bookshelf to replace the satellite speakers.

I dont want big loud sound. What i look is clarity clarity and clarity.

I cant buy different speaker to test out. May be i buy sl6 ?

What about cheap magnepan? What kinda amp to drive them?

I want to put big investment for speakers that sound silky and effortless and clear. I want to separate bass from speakers.

Was thinking of buying https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band ... r--264-894

And put it in a Transmission line box.

What you people think?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:12 am 

alexk wrote:
oi oi...

Ok bought T4W creative speaker for bass and now looking for bookshelf to replace the satellite speakers.

I dont want big loud sound. What i look is clarity clarity and clarity.

I cant buy different speaker to test out. May be i buy sl6 ?

What about cheap magnepan? What kinda amp to drive them?

I want to put big investment for speakers that sound silky and effortless and clear. I want to separate bass from speakers.

Was thinking of buying https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band ... r--264-894

And put it in a Transmission line box.

What you people think?

Alex I am confused. Are you looking for satellite speakers or are you looking for stand-mounts for your main speakers? If you are looking for satellites, and like that mid-80's British sound, give a look at Missions. There are some very capable shelf-mount Missions out there with either front or rear ports. I have tried (and liked) more than a few sets.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:47 pm 

I meant it replaces T4W satellite speakers.

I had t3 creative with ditton 100. Sound were out of the world with bass provided by t3 subwoofer.
Azuntech card gave 192khz sample rate. High frequency were chill not noisy or hurting ear. It was like crystal clear sound i ever heard.

Now i bought t4w and want to find ditton in british columbia. so far none i could find.
Also i think t4w degressed someway with their bass. I have to wait and see final results.

I used to hear hearts 1995 greatest hits album (acoustic version) - straight on song. When the drums comes in beginning. SOund has to be real. T4W subwoofer gives thud... but without ditton 100.

So i have to reserve final verdict once i get ditton.

I also see in amazon Qacoustics 3050/3050i but someone said somewhere it lacks bass.

Can 3050 matches with same level as ditton 100?

Or i buy celestion sl6si?

I may have to abandon creative and find 2.1 channel integrated amp with 32 bit 384 khz dac or just 2.1 amplifier and buy sabaj d4 dac to drive that amp. Then but tower speakers.

Anyway i want to keep cost down. That is why i bought t4w to see if its workable in small room.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:26 pm 

Hi,

You might consider the Quad 11 or 12 standmounts.

Cheers,
David Neice