Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:05 am 

This review is part of a series that started with the Basic Link; see http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1597

The setting for comparisons was the same as previously described, i.e. cables swapped bewteen phono-pre and pre-amp.

---

I decided to mostly compare the Solid Link to the Basic Link to determine if the Solid represented a meaningful upgrade. However it turned out that my Cardas Hexlink 5C entered the fray as well (more later).

I started with a the track Twilight from Wynton Marsalis' self titled LP. It was clear that the bass in the Solid was superior to the Basic. In general the Solid had much greater detail and a more aggressive forward presentation compared to the Basic. The Basic on the other hand had more warmth. For someone sensitive to forwardness such as myself it wasn't so much a case of declaring the Solid a hands down winner as I would have liked a tad more warmth with the Solid.

Next up Bottoms Up from Ron Carter's Etudes (Elektra, 1983). Again the Solid proved to be obviously superior in bass and detail, and forwardness wasn't a concern here, not terribly anyway. However with both cables I felt something was missing, that the tune didn't communicate the same musical message I was used to. To determine if this was simply mood related in went my Cardas Hexlink 5C ... wasn't just my mood, let's leave it at that.

Then Spare Change from Micheal Hedges' Aerial Boundaries. What to say about Hedges' guitar playing, virtuoso seems completely inadequate, and what about the style, classical?, jazz?, spiritual?, perhaps a dash of all. Well the Solid simply embarrassed the Basic here ... the speed, fine details, superior harmonics ... just excellent. So I'm thinking, can the Cardas top this? doubt it, but have to find out. Well it turns out that the lower registers (low strings) have much greater presence and weight with the Cardas and the extra low end presence changes the presentation compared to the Solid. I liked both, but if in taking something away the Solid ended up sounding magical on this track well then, heck!, I can live with that.

So what do I think. A step up from Basic?, yes. A giant killer?, no. Any concerns?, perhaps not best if you system is already a little hot and requires taming, otherwise an easy choice at it's price point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:36 pm 

Good Review b3, Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:01 pm 

THanks for sharing your impressions b. :D
Here's more comments from other users at http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1079