Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:31 am 

I am looking to replace my main power outlet that most of my audio equipment is plugged in. I am browsing the takefiveaudio website and the price range greatly varies between the different models.
I am just looking for some input from people that has done the upgrade and understands the different coatings on these outlets. I don't understand why would one cost $35 and another 10x as much.
I am looking for the best bang for the buck upgrade.

The plan is to have one of the outlets upgraded and then have a 4 plex boxes plugged in to have my amp, turntable, preamp plugged in.
https://www.takefiveaudio.com/products/ ... o-treated/

Thank you for all input!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:52 am 

Clamping pressure of the contacts and surface area of the contacts is key.

Also, any oxide on a connector will cause issues.

Best bang for the buck are medical grade outlets.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:19 am 

I have never used one of the high buck outlets, they are simply out of my snack bracket for tweaks.

I have used both contractor grade (might have some other formal name), and hospital grade (both cryo'd and not).

I usually default to hospital grade as they are easy to find, and in my experience make a great difference in plug grip etc.

I have 5 dedicated plugs in my system, right next to the rack in my dedicated media closet. I have only upgraded 2 of the outlets, both ones for the amps.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:28 am 

A 4plex, with wall-mount backplate, will do a good job on your wall, too. Mounts on either a single-gang or double-gang electrical box. TFA price on these is about the lowest I've seen online.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:56 am 

mcgsxr wrote:
I have only upgraded 2 of the outlets, both ones for the amps.

Have you tried plugging your sources into the upgraded outlets? One theory is that sources, specifically digital, benefit more from better/cleaner electrical connections. Just wondering?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:06 am 

Thanks for all the input. Glad to hear the cryod hospital grade outlet is the best bang for the buck.
I'll be using the 4 plex connector with a 12ft wire. Where my audio rack is there are a bunch of other things plugged into the outlet like lights, gaming console, HTPC, so I wanted to upgrade an outlet that is a bit further away and use the 4plex to connect my audio equipment into that. That way the outlet isn't shared with all the other things.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:39 am 

+1 for the cryo hospital grade outlet. You get a real improvement in quality over run-of-the-mill stuff, at a fair price.

IME the next step up, again at no-fooling-around prices, would be a used ultra-isolation transformer for the digital gear. My 2 cents. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:43 am 

Toby wrote:
+1 for the cryo hospital grade outlet. You get a real improvement in quality over run-of-the-mill stuff, at a fair price.

IME the next step up, again at no-fooling-around prices, would be a used ultra-isolation transformer for the digital gear. My 2 cents. :)

Thanks Toby
The only digital gear I have is my NAD Integrated Amp, it has an MDC card with streaming capabilities, Tidal, Spotify, internet radio etc. I do not use a CD player, or separate streamer as the NAD does a fantastic job.
I either stream digital music or listen to LPs on my turntable.

Last edited by Krisztian on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:46 am 

Quote:

+2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:30 am 

I can certainly see why you'd want to set up that way.

Krisztian wrote:
I either stream digital music or listen to LPs on my turntable.

It makes a lot of sense to designate one medium as the top-quality source... at least, if I understand your thinking ! :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:38 am 

If feasible, hard wired clustered outlets.
Eliminating lengths of safety ground shortens loops,less contacts and most likely cheaper.

G

Attachments:
gbdup-6_inuse1.jpg
gbdup-6_inuse1.jpg [ 116.16 KiB | Viewed 717 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:32 am 

Take note that the Hubbell 8200H or 8300H that Gene at Takefive sells is a slimline hospital grade with non-plated contacts, which is a good thing IMO.

Other hospital grades, including Hubbell's non "H" designated units will generally have nickel plated contacts, which is a bad thing IMO.

The Hubbell 8200H & 8300H also have a steel backstrap. The Hubbell 5262 and 5362 do not, which is a good thing.

I use and have used in the past all of the above, but the older Hubbell slimline hospital grades were similar to the 5262 and 5362. My current preference if you wanted to stick with a reasonable budget receptacle would be the HBL 5262 or 5362 for that reason.

If you're buying the cryoed versions from Gene, pay the nominal fee to have him burn them in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:49 am 

Blake wrote:
Take note that the Hubbell 8200H or 8300H that Gene at Takefive sells is a slimline hospital grade with non-plated contacts, which is a good thing IMO.

Other hospital grades, including Hubbell's non "H" designated units will generally have nickel plated contacts, which is a bad thing IMO.

The Hubbell 8200H & 8300H also have a steel backstrap. The Hubbell 5262 and 5362 do not, which is a good thing.

I use and have used in the past all of the above, but the older Hubbell slimline hospital grades were similar to the 5262 and 5362. My current preference if you wanted to stick with a reasonable budget receptacle would be the HBL 5262 or 5362 for that reason.

If you're buying the cryoed versions from Gene, pay the nominal fee to have him burn them in.

Blake is dead on. After dithering around I bought a couple cryo'd Hubbells from Take Five. The difference from the orange Levitons I had been using was immediately noticeable. I don't fully understand why an outlet should make a noticeable improvement but it certainly does. Money well spent IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:51 am 

Awesome info, thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:28 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Another vote for the 5262. Great outlet, and affordable.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk