Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 am 

Wow!!! Another one bites the dust. So very sorry to see yet another Audio retailer close their doors. Planet of Sound's East Toronto (Danforth Ave. & Broadview) location has permanently closed it's doors, this week. It seemed as if the physical location was a good one? But, I guess that online retailers might be permanently disrupting our beloved hobby. Does anyone have any thoughts or an alternate perspective on this? Perhaps, Gunnar can wade in on what has happened to his latest venture?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:47 am 

xs10sl1 wrote:
Wow!!! Another one bites the dust. So very sorry to see yet another Audio retailer close their doors. Planet of Sound's East Toronto (Danforth Ave. & Broadview) location has permanently closed it's doors, this week. It seemed as if the physical location was a good one? But, I guess that online retailers might be permanently disrupting our beloved hobby. Does anyone have any thoughts or an alternate perspective on this? Perhaps, Gunnar can wade in on what has happened to his latest venture?

They still have two more locations (Queen and Ossington, and the one in Ottawa)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:31 am 

He set it up 10 years early - it's a rough area. I went there once and thanks to the locals, didn't care to return.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:46 am 

Well kinda think - Today retailers are under pressure to be lean and cost-effective so that they must have both online and bricks and mortar outlets.

with so much information on the web - customers know more than the sales guys about a specific product that they wish to buy -

one thing that is for sure - things are always a changing!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:48 am 

hollinger wrote:
He set it up 10 years early - it's a rough area. I went there once and thanks to the locals, didn't care to return.

POS of Toronto was originally located on Queen East just outside the Regent Park area. Not the nicest area of Toronto but the locals are harmless. They moved to Queen West a few years ago to a trendy hipster area. Wouldn’t consider this as rough at all. But the topic is about their 2nd Toronto store on the Danforth just east of Broadview which lasted just less than a year. If you are intimidated by investment bankers in their BMW’s, then I guess the area could be considered rough.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:07 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
hollinger wrote:

POS of Toronto was originally located on Queen East just outside the Regent Park area. Not the nicest area of Toronto but the locals are harmless. They moved to Queen West a few years ago to a trendy hipster area. Wouldn’t consider this as rough at all. But the topic is about their 2nd Toronto store on the Danforth just east of Broadview which lasted just less than a year. If you are intimidated by investment bankers in their BMW’s, then I guess the area could be considered rough.

:lol: Yeah that area isn't rough in the slightest. The Queen/Sherbourne location was in a far worse area.

I did pay a visit to the East location and the selection was sparse. I wouldn't have gone there if I was looking for anything more than say some headphones or a stylus. If you wanted hi-fi units their Queen/Ossington location would've been the place to go.

I expect it closed due to the same old story; lack of sales.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:25 pm 

eddiel wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
hollinger wrote:

:lol: Yeah that area isn't rough in the slightest. The Queen/Sherbourne location was in a far worse area.

I did pay a visit to the East location and the selection was sparse. I wouldn't have gone there if I was looking for anything more than say some headphones or a stylus. If you wanted hi-fi units their Queen/Ossington location would've been the place to go.

It's not rough but there are two mirrored apartment buildings that house some pretty rough characters just on the west side of Broadview and north of Danforth.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:44 pm 

eddiel wrote:

Personally I do not think the Danforth store was not open long enough to generate any kind of presence in the area. There is not a lot of retail foot traffic at the corner of Broadview and Danforth – even restaurants struggle with a few in the area changing owners faster than they can pour a cup of coffee. And I didn’t see any advertising from POS about a new location. Don’t know why they didn’t post a bulletin under the dealer news – I bet many of their loyal customers didn’t even know the Danforth store existed.

drywhitetoast wrote:

It's not rough but there are two mirrored apartment buildings that house some pretty rough characters just on the west side of Broadview and north of Danforth.

The lowrise just across from Broadview station? Cheap or subsidized rent. But the tenants are harmless – they are quite content sitting in the park drinking their tins of cheap beer out of a paper bag. Rarely do they venture out onto the Danforth unless going to the liquor store. City living! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:00 pm 

xs10sl1 wrote:
Planet of Sound's East Toronto (Danforth Ave. & Broadview) location has permanently closed it's doors, this week. It seemed as if the physical location was a good one? But, I guess that online retailers might be permanently disrupting our beloved hobby.

Yeah like CAM, USAM, AudiogoN, Audio Asylum, ebay, et al. Not many of us (myself included) are comfortable in paying MSRP for gear that we might not hold onto for the foreseeable future. I'm not a flipper and never have been but I've owned nearly 50 different components and speakers in the past 35 years. Paying full retail is for the well-heeled. And I ain't.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:38 pm 

I used to deliver groceries to the Jane and Finch price chopper that is a rough area, as far as another audio store closing all to familiar story to bad I hate shopping online.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:39 am 

Crosscut100 wrote:
I used to deliver groceries to the Jane and Finch price chopper that is a rough area, as far as another audio store closing all to familiar story to bad I hate shopping online.

...then the future looks bleak for you as that’s all that will be left soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:35 am 

I live a stone's throw from the Danforth location, and I have to say, I was utterly disappointed by the store. A lot of square footage, and barely anything on display that was over $500. They had none of the higher end headphones or higher end speakers. A very small selection of vinyl. I think they were targeting people with $100-$300 items, but they didn't have nearly enough of the higher end stuff to warrant me going back other than my first visit. Since it opened, I've been to the Queen/Ossington location three more times.

Could have been more interesting if it sold more vinyl, had better selection/range of equipment. Location wasn't entirely the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:47 am 

A high end shop opening 2 locations in the same city these days is just asking for trouble. I was quite surprised when they announced the new location, not in the least bit surprised to hear it closed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:52 am 

raindogtrombone wrote:
I live a stone's throw from the Danforth location, and I have to say, I was utterly disappointed by the store. A lot of square footage, and barely anything on display that was over $500. They had none of the higher end headphones or higher end speakers. A very small selection of vinyl. I think they were targeting people with $100-$300 items, but they didn't have nearly enough of the higher end stuff to warrant me going back other than my first visit. Since it opened, I've been to the Queen/Ossington location three more times.

Could have been more interesting if it sold more vinyl, had better selection/range of equipment. Location wasn't entirely the problem.

This pretty much mirrors my perception of the situation too .. along with the fact that I've got a decent relationship with the staff on Queen West, .. the Danforth location didn't want to give me much in the way of either attention.. or service :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:37 am 

Got Hi-Fi wrote:
A high end shop opening 2 locations in the same city these days is just asking for trouble. I was quite surprised when they announced the new location, not in the least bit surprised to hear it closed.

Agree 100%.