Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:25 am 

James_W wrote:
allhifi wrote:
The Totem loudspeakers in all honesty are laughable; you can do much better; consider Finial (new brand), Q-Concept (name correct ? I'm not sure), LSA Audio '0.5's' (Stand-mount -if still made), KEF, Elac 'Adante-Line'. All these will blow-away (i.e. greatly outperform) any Totem's. ANY.

pj

:roll:

My last bookshelf speakers were the Adante AS-61, used to sell the Q-Acoustics concept line, just finished head to head comparisons with the KEF LS50 and Sky. The Totems were quite a bit better than the KEF and are not embarrassed by the more expensive Adante AS-61, they are in a different league than the Concept 20's. Your comparisons don't make much sense to me and are likely baseless.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49405

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/do ... &mode=view

Wow. Where did you audition the loudspeakers ?

pj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:06 am 

James_W wrote:
Not sure where to post this but it's not worth starting a new thread...

After spending the last week with Sky bookshelf speakers on Pass gear I have a much greater respect for them compared to listening sessions at my old workplace.

Considering the small size and low retail price it could be their best product to date. I don't recall enjoying a little bookshelf speaker under $2k this much. Totem should stick with the classic style speakers using 3rd party woofers and tweeters, sometimes they get it just right. The Sky has an old meets new quality to them that works well and makes for enjoyable listening with all genres. Hopefully there will be more speakers like this in the future.

Coming from you James, that is great endorsement for the Sky speakers.

When I listened to them, my expectation bias was in favor of the speaker, I wanted to like them, but didn't.
Could have been the room, break in, the Yamaha, don't know, just not for me for whatever reason.
I ended up with M/A Silver 300 and they are doing the job.
Cheers..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:44 am 
Premium User

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

I am going to say something here that is going to irritate some people, maybe even infuriate a few people. And I am torn up about it. My grandma said; if you can't say something nice, then zip it up. So, this will be very carefully phrased.

I have heard and intentionally auditioned Totem speakers many many times, going back to their beginnings and, sad to say, I just cannot warm up to them. The TAVES 2017 room was another example. It was a beautifully appointed and organized room and many visitors around me were rapturous. I felt like I was missing some party that was going on as Vince B. buzzed around smiling and chatting with people. Sometimes I think I really want to be in the club, after all it is a Canadian company, even french Canadian in a certain way, and after years of reading CAM postings the Totem line has to be one of the most favoured if not the most favoured speaker line mentioned. But, for some reason, I just don't seem to get it. What I always hear with Totems are a series of designs that are for me (emphasis added) too forward and in my face.

I have come to the conclusion that it is not the Totems that are the problem, but my hearing. There are far too many people on CAM and elsewhere who hold opinions I respect and who simply love them. I don't think they all can be wrong, So maybe there are just some people with certain anomalous sensitivities to whatever Totems do that cause joy in others, but for a few oddballs like me they have to be kept at arm's distance. Now, for instance, at the show, in the Hegel room, they were using a pair of Pylon speakers form Poland, and I simply couldn't listen to them, but others thought they were ravishing. So, this has to be marked down to large fundamental differences in our hearing perceptions.

Just saying this ... and praying it doesn't lead to a flame war as I am only trying to suggest a possible answer to the question posed by the OP, and maybe to the larger question of why we like some systems and abhor others.

Cheers,
David Neice

IMHO, the three best speakers Totem ever made:

1.) Model One Signature
2.) Tabu ( with metal outboard resistor bank )
2.) Mani-2 Signature.

I have not liked any speaker produced from Totem since these, just my personal taste I suppose and have found they are easily outperformed by many other models ( in my system, for my tastes )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:42 am 
Premium User

allgonoshow wrote:
Coming from you James, that is great endorsement for the Sky speakers.

I personally prefer Proac for smaller speakers but it was a nice surprise to be truly enjoying a Totem product again, that hasn't happened for me since the Winds and Mani-2 Sigs. Even better is enjoying something affordable from a well run Canadian company. Although solid performers the Element series (Fire, Earth etc...) left me with no long term warm feelings like the classic designs.

Glad the MA's are working out for you! it's important to find the right speaker that suits your own tastes with all of the flavours out there .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:33 am 

James_W wrote:

After spending the last week with Sky bookshelf speakers on Pass gear I have a much greater respect for them compared to listening sessions at my old workplace.

Considering the small size and low retail price it could be their best product to date. I don't recall enjoying a little bookshelf speaker under $2k this much. Totem should stick with the classic style speakers using 3rd party woofers and tweeters, sometimes they get it just right. The Sky has an old meets new quality to them that works well and makes for enjoyable listening with all genres. Hopefully there will be more speakers like this in the future.

James_Underscore: The "Sky's" ?? (Better than Model-1's -not that it's anything special ?)

I's recommend you audition the wondrous Reference 3A 'Dulcet' (in/around $2K). And, at about 1/2 that price LSA's 0.5's (find used if one must).
The REF 3A Dulcet is a very competent performer -it is in an entirely different league to the 'Sky' -and superior to the vaunted Model-1 (in any guise (past/present).

Your suggestions point to your qualifications: You tell us Totem remain with '3rd party drive-unit vendors; suggesting the "Element" line doesn't cut it ?
The Totem 'Elements' are leaps and bounds superior to anything the company has offered previously. If it wasn't so outrageously priced, it would qualify as a fine $2-$4K loudspeaker.

As some of Tot models approach KEF Reference-1 price territory ($9K/pair), one must have genuinely impaired facilities to choose ANY Totem over the brilliant KEF REF-1's.

pj
P.S. Elac 'Adante AS-61' were only released a few months ago -and already it qualifies as your "last" loudspeaker ? Very odd.

Last edited by allhifi on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:40 am 
Premium User

allhifi wrote:
James_Underscore: The "Sky's" ?? (Better than Model-1's (not that it's anything 'special' ?)

I's recommend you audition the wondrous Reference 3A 'Dulcet' (in/around $2K). And, at about 1/2 that price LSA's 0.5's (find used if one must).
The REF 3A Dulcet is a very competent performer -it is in an entirely different league to the 'Sky' -and superior to the vaunted Model-1 (in any guise (past/present).

Your suggestions point to your qualifications: You tell us Totem remain with '3rd party drive-unit vendors; suggesting the "Element" line doesn't cut it ?
The Totem 'Elements' are leaps and bounds superior to anything the company has offered previously. If it wasn't so outrageously priced, it would qualify as a fine $2-$4K loudspeaker.

As some of Tot models approach KEF Reference-1 price territory ($9K/pair), one must have genuinely impaired facilities to choose ANY Totem over the brilliant KEF REF-1's.

pj
P.S. Elac 'Adante AS-61' were only released a few months ago -and already it qualifies as your "last" loudspeaker ? Very odd.

Show me any proof you've made these comparisons in your own setup and I'd be happy to continue this conversation. It's pointless to argue with someone that looks at pictures and does some store demos. My comments are personal opinions from experience with the gear and nothing more, you don't need to agree with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:45 am 

zon001 wrote:
loose the Yamaha.

+1

That's your weak point.
And, amps in a store that power a wall of speakers fed with a switch box will not perform to their true potential.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:13 am 

allhifi wrote:
James_W wrote:

James_Underscore: The "Sky's" ?? (Better than Model-1's -not that it's anything special ?)

pj

What's so odd about it? I bought them from James.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:18 am 

malthuse wrote:
allhifi wrote:
James_W wrote:

pj

What's so odd about it? I bought them from James.

Lol. I think I'm confusing "Who's who" in these replies!

Whose the guy with the current MA 300's (Silver's) ?

And out of the loudspeakers referenced (Q-Acoustics, ELAC, Finial etc.) who is it that claimed the Totem Sky's superior ?
(This is important for posterity - I assure you !) lol

pj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:29 am 

I am the op and ended up with MA 300's.

James is the man who is adding his well experienced ear to the mix and commenting on what he likes, rather than what I should like.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:38 am 
Premium User

allhifi wrote:
And out of the loudspeakers referenced (Q-Acoustics, ELAC, Finial etc.) who is it that claimed the Totem Sky's superior ?

pj

Read the thread again.

No one claimed the Sky are superior to ELAC AS-61's as they are not, nor should they be at half the price and considering the great value Adantes represent. After comparing the KEF LS50 and Sky last week me and my guests felt the Sky is a better value at $200-$300 more retail, no one thought differently. The Concept 20 comparison is a no brainer, some of my older posts will show I've reccomend the Q Acoustics but the Sky is noticeably better overall. I can't speak on anything else if they haven't been in my listening room.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:43 am 

James_W wrote:
allhifi wrote:

pj

Read the thread again.

No one claimed the Sky are superior to ELAC AS-61's as they are not, nor should they be at half the price and considering the great value Adantes represent. After comparing the KEF LS50 and Sky last week me and my guests felt the Sky is a better value at $200-$300 more retail, no one thought differently. The Concept 20 comparison is a no brainer, some of my older posts will show I've reccomend the Q Acoustics but the Sky is noticeably better overall. I can't speak on anything else if they haven't been in my listening room.

Thank you. Fair enough.

It's interesting (telling and accurate) that the LS-50's are mentioned. KEF's 'wood-box' equivalent (to LS-50) is a superior loudspeaker. How/why the LS-50 is consistently recommended is most peculiar -in that a cheaper (exact model in a wood box) is clearly, audibly superior.

pj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 am 
Premium User

I've got nothing negative to say about LS50's although I could see them being bright with the wrong amp. I thought they were well balanced and I could live with either speaker if I had to downsize.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 am 

James_W wrote:
I've got nothing negative to say about LS50's although I could see them being bright with the wrong amp. I thought they were well balanced and I could live with either speaker if I had to downsize.

Hi James: If you have not, audition the LS-50 (KEF) 'wood-enclosure' equivalent -if one still remains. A few years back (2009? lol) it was KEF's '100'? model. Perhaps KEF has made (the desperately required) improvements to the LS-50's composite baffle/enclosure, but if not, the wood-enclosure model I'll bet proves easily, audibly superior.

pj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:05 pm 

allhifi wrote:
James_W wrote:

Hi James: If you have not, audition the LS-50 (KEF) 'wood-enclosure' equivalent -if one still remains. A few years back (2009? lol) it was KEF's '100'? model. Perhaps KEF has made (the desperately required) improvements to the LS-50's composite baffle/enclosure, but if not, the wood-enclosure model I'll bet proves easily, audibly superior.

pj

The last small KEF I had a good listen to was the R300 which I think sells for about $2000.00 give or take. It sounded wonderful until you turned it up. It than became almost painful to listen to. I've heard the Sky in the same system and although it isn't my favorite little Totem ( I own and prefer Model 1 Sigs ) I felt it was a much better speaker than the R300 for the money. I've also owned and loved the Mani 2 Sigs and still have the Element Fires which I think are a spectacular sounding little speaker.

I do find that the little Totems really change their character depending on the electronics your using though. None of the four pairs I've had dealt well with cheaper electronics ( with the exception of an old Nad I own ) but they come to life with the good stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next