Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:24 pm 

I am sure most people would be happy with the frequency limits of these two fullrange drivers . I have had many hours with Tangbands ,Fostex's Mark Audios 's and Seas smaller drivers . Nothing comes close to the efficiency and dynamic range of these Fanes . I listened to the 12's but not the 15's . I am confident they would please . Unless you can not accommodate the space the would need it is no contest with a smaller driver . A single ended amplifier will drive them to almost uncomfortable levels .I listened to them with and without baffle step correction and preferred them without . Stuff in the way is stuff in the way . Just as subwoofers will rob the system of much magic . These drivers do not need a subwoofer or tweeter .

100db with 1 watt

https://www.fane-international.com/view-product/SOVEREIGN-12-250TC#tab-5

101db with 1 watt

https://www.fane-international.com/view-product/FC-152F01TC

They are new but highly regarded by the builders DIY fullrange forums.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:47 pm 

I tought you may be interested to check out audio nirvana 's offerings.they have a large variety of full range drivers in many sizes and more than 15 type of cabinet designs what you can buy from them or they can suply you with DIY plans.
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/nirvana.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:22 pm 

doctortube wrote:
I am sure most people would be happy with the frequency limits of these two fullrange drivers . I have had many hours with Tangbands ,Fostex's Mark Audios 's and Seas smaller drivers . Nothing comes close to the efficiency and dynamic range of these Fanes . I listened to the 12's but not the 15's . I am confident they would please . Unless you can not accommodate the space the would need it is no contest with a smaller driver . A single ended amplifier will drive them to almost uncomfortable levels .I listened to them with and without baffle step correction and preferred them without . Stuff in the way is stuff in the way . Just as subwoofers will rob the system of much magic . These drivers do not need a subwoofer or tweeter .

100db with 1 watt

101db with 1 watt

My 15" Tannoy golds are both single driver and are quite full range I assure you. They are also quite efficient and can be driven by low power amplifiers. I am surprised nobody has mentioned them in this thread. This thread must mean single drivers without crossovers.

I have two Velodyne HGS 10 subs I use with my second system, which has two monitor sized speakers. I have not experienced any magic disappear when these are engaged. In fact, quite the opposite. Perhaps you should try some different subwoofers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:25 pm 
Premium User

onelastime wrote:
I am surprised nobody has mentioned them in this thread. This thread must mean single drivers without crossovers.

That was already established earlier in the thread.

Thank you for the suggestions so far, keep them coming!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:31 pm 

OK Look at the Loth X line too......

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:32 pm 

Who makes the Fane drivers?

They (and the Audio Nirvana) look interesting but it's hard to imagine how you can get high frequencies out of 12 and 15 inch cones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:44 pm 

Tannoy Golds are 2 way . The tweeter is mounted behind the magnet and has it's own voice coil ,that is what the cross over is for.The center of the cone is its exit referred to as the wave guide They are two way coincident drivers . They sound wonderful . I have a newer pair using the 8 inch coincident drivers

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/tannoyMG15.htm

-- 04 Jan 2018 03:46 --

Sarchi wrote:
Who makes the Fane drivers?

They (and the Audio Nirvana) look interesting but it's hard to imagine how you can get high frequencies out of 12 and 15 inch cones.

They are UK based but could be built anywhere
The HF response is claimed as 17K and I have no reason to doubt this .The sounded very good to me .
The pic is the fanes in cabinet's built by a good friend

https://www.fane-international.com/

-- 04 Jan 2018 03:48 --

[quote="Sarchi"]Who makes the Fane drivers?

Attachments:
IMG_1347.JPG
IMG_1347.JPG [ 288.19 KiB | Viewed 593 times ]
di.JPG
di.JPG [ 47.78 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:37 am 
Premium User

doctortube wrote:

100db with 1 watt

101db with 1 watt

Solen.ca also has them

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:09 am 

For the price of Omega, I would rather get these, custom build by John Kalinowski, a known single driver and horn enthousiast.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649386686-seas-exotic-full-range-speaker-system-high-efficiency-with-matching-subwoofers/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:30 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

James_W wrote:
I recently heard a DIY Voxativ based speaker (approximately 8 inch driver) on Allnic gear and loved the sound. My experience with full range single driver speakers is fairly limited so some advice would be appreciated. Looking for reasonably priced used recommendations around 3k or under since they would be used as a secondary speaker. I have a lead on Omega Super Alnico Monitors but not sure how they rank amongst competitors. They would be used primarily for Jazz and Indie Rock.

Associated gear is Pass Labs X1 preamp and X250.5 amp in a 13 x 18 room. A different amp is a possibility.

james,
i love my diy af2.6 voxativ. i built it to explore the market but the voxativ cost is insane. that being said, you can audition mine ...they're for sale.
p.m. me.
thanks,
dan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:02 am 

I see my name has already been mentioned. James if you get to Victoria, i have quite a few FR speakers that can be listened to.

I see Graham is happy with his Valiant, a design by Scott of Woden Designs in the UK (and plans drawn by myself). I have the Mark Audio version prototypes here, as well as all 3 of the Frugel-Horns that Scott designed and we prototyped and drew up. Some of his Baby Labs too. As well a number of our miniOnken (Mar-Ken, Fonkens). The Frugel-Horn Mk3s are one of the most built diy speakers ever.

We can help you sort thru free designs, designs that cost, point you at drivers, sell you EnABLed drivers. flat-paks, bespoke speakers, and often have prototypes and demos that get sold for cheap.

Some comments on some of the stuff mentioned:

Scott & i are working on a couple Voxativ designs.

The unityaudio boxes look to have the Airborne wood cone drivers (a Solen house brand AFAIK). We built a set of miniOnken for a fellow in Surrey with the 6.5” — they sound quite good, and have a pair of the 5.25” here that we haven’t done anything with

The Fane needs a big box. Ideally something like 350 litre, 100 litre is a small box. You could put it in a big open baffle. A couple people at diyAudio give it love, i will reserve opinion until i hear a pair. On the face of it they are similar to the Eminence 12LTA which we have had to put a lot of work into to get to tolerable (another speaker that has its adherents)

The JX92 is a speaker i could never warm up to (i tried 3 pair), with a top that i just couldn’t live with. It has been discontinued for years. The currently available Eikona gets good rankings, including those who have lived with the Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 (its closest equivalent). About 2 x the price of the Mark Audio but well within your budget. A speaker on my wish list.

I’ve not heard any Omegas, another speaker on my wish list. A very loyal owner community.

Lots of good FRs out there but the majority of them require making boxes or getting them madefor you.

dave