Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:36 pm 
Premium User

I recently heard a DIY Voxativ based speaker (approximately 8 inch driver) on Allnic gear and loved the sound. My experience with full range single driver speakers is fairly limited so some advice would be appreciated. Looking for reasonably priced used recommendations around 3k or under since they would be used as a secondary speaker. I have a lead on Omega Super Alnico Monitors but not sure how they rank amongst competitors. They would be used primarily for Jazz and Indie Rock.

Associated gear is Pass Labs X1 preamp and X250.5 amp in a 13 x 18 room. A different amp is a possibility.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:07 pm 

Hi James
I’ve only really had experience with the omega. One thing I would say though is that when I talked to Louis he said that the rs5 is the driver that gives the most stunning resolution and imaging BUT at the expense of bass. He suggested the super 3 x 1.5 which has another rs5 with an inductor for more oomph in the lower mids and bass which I’m now considering at around $2300 us. I haven’t tried the super 8 or alnico versions but some people swear by them.

-- 01 Jan 2018 03:12 --

If you’re ever in Vancouver feel free to drop by for a listen to my omegas.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:26 pm 
Premium User

malthuse wrote:
If you’re ever in Vancouver feel free to drop by for a listen to my omegas.

Thanks for the offer! I do visit the Lower Mainland pretty often. If you pass through the interior you're welcome to hear whatever I have at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:34 am 

Omega for sure. Currently running a pair of SAM’s on a 2 watt SET.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:42 am 

I have the Omega Super 8 XRS and it sounds amazing! Probably their best single driver full-range (35Hz- 20kHz). I have heard their new Logic 8 with a built-in powered sub and it sounds great also. Am using with Triode Labs 2A3S and Shindo Aurièges. 4 watts of sublime power!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:10 am 
Premium User

How are the Omegas for low level listening?

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:26 am 

coherent audio.
I have hardly ever seen them for sale used.
Nice thing, if you e mail Frank (owner/designer) he e mails you back...promptly. Class act.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:59 am 

The Coherent speaker does have a crossover. I think James may be thinking of a crossoverless design, at least when he mentioned Voxativ, that's what came to my mind, but I may be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:07 am 
Premium User

Kartmn wrote:
I think James may be thinking of a crossoverless design, at least when he mentioned Voxativ, that's what came to my mind, but I may be wrong.

That is correct. Sorry I should have been more specific.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:23 am 

Hi,

The very best single driver system, and one of the best speaker systems I have ever heard, used 4 1/2" Jordan Watts JX92 drivers and a labyrinth horn enclosure made of 3/4" MDF. You can't buy it; you have to build it. It was driven by an Audio Note 300B kit amp.
The speaker boxes were butt ugly but if you closed your eyes it was sublime.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:30 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Kartmn wrote:
The Coherent speaker does have a crossover. I think James may be thinking of a crossoverless design, at least when he mentioned Voxativ, that's what came to my mind, but I may be wrong.

True, but Coherent makes the most minimal crossover filter, using tuned inductance as opposed to any resistor, and a single high-quality Mundorf cap. You can't call them crossoverless, but the 'crossovers' on these coaxials are almost non existant. I've owned many full-range speakers - several Omegas, Jordan-, Lowther- and Fostex-based DIY designs, and others, and honestly, none were really full range. I wouldn't trade my Coherents for any of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:47 am 

I love mine as well, don't know how I could've done better for my money. Was just trying to stay in what I thought was the thread intention.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:13 pm 

James_W wrote:
Kartmn wrote:
I think James may be thinking of a crossoverless design, at least when he mentioned Voxativ, that's what came to my mind, but I may be wrong.

That is correct. Sorry I should have been more specific.

Hi James. Are you thinking about using a full range driver [without a filter] all by itself or combining in with helper woofer or subwoofer?

On an open baffle or in a cabinet?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:29 pm 
Premium User

The pair I heard was in a horn loaded cabinet with no crossover so something similar. Bass isnt a big issue as they would be an alternative to 6ft tall 4 x 8 inch woofer speakers. The ability to reach around 45Hz would be nice but not mandatory.

Flat packs with minimal assembly looks interesting but I assume resale would be brutal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:42 pm 

James_W wrote:
The pair I heard was in a horn loaded cabinet with no crossover so something similar. Bass isnt a big issue as they would be an alternative to 6ft tall 4 x 8 inch woofer speakers. The ability to reach around 45Hz would be nice but not mandatory.

Flat packs with minimal assembly looks interesting but I assume resale would be brutal.

Interesting: I am assuming your going to use the 6 ft line array bass columns to augument the bottom of the full range driver?
Are they 4 woofers /column? dedicated amplification and crossover to drive them?