Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:29 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Nothing to do except drink more Coors light then...right? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:19 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Nothing to do except drink more Coors light then...right? :lol:

Your on the right track. Coors Light though is just a fishing beer.
I prefer a nice craft beer most of the time.
Attachment:
beer.png
beer.png [ 638.61 KiB | Viewed 1073 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:25 pm 

That's a beautiful thing!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:14 am 

I apologize for spreading this saga over several threads but since I started with this one it seems like the best place for a follow up.
Equipment List:
55" Panasonic Plasma (ST 55).
Tannoy MxR speakers (5 also same model CC)
B&W ASW 610 subwoofer.
Oppo BDP-80 blu-ray player
38" Vizio soundbar
APC H10 surge protector (also a Belkin PF 30)
Rogers Next Box (new current model).
Yalu Balula surge protector (Blue Circle device).
Generic HDMI cables
Axiom speaker cable.
Upgraded power cable for Panasonic (it fits better than the stock cable)
Two non functional AVR: Marantz NR1403
Onkyo/Integra DTR 40.3.
I periodically connect both receivers to see if they've magically been fixed. HDMI still a no go. All other functions ok.
My plan is/was to add a Yamaha AVR as they seem to get the nod for reliability. I decided to give Onkyo one more try and sent them an email outlining the history of the unit.
I offered to pay for parts and labour if they can provide me with a HDMI board that won't screw up every six months. I'll get a local tech to install it. I did not request additional warranty time or any such thing. Just a functioning HDMI board.
Regarding the Yamaha. While the sales guy agreed that Yamaha is reliable he said the real quality starts with the Aventage line. Not sure about that, after all he is a sales associate.
I'll try to keep things regarding my AV adventures to this thread and let you know where it all leads or ends up.
One last thing. THANK YOU ALL.
It's been frustrating and educational and without your advice and humour I'd likely be throwing AVR's under the snow plow.
It is appreciated.
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:28 pm 

mahatma1 wrote:
I apologize for spreading this saga over several threads but since I started with this one it seems like the best place for a follow up.
Equipment List:
B&W ASW 610 subwoofer.
38" Vizio soundbar
Generic HDMI cables
Axiom speaker cable.
Onkyo/Integra DTR 40.3.
I periodically connect both receivers to see if they've magically been fixed. HDMI still a no go. All other functions ok.
My plan is/was to add a Yamaha AVR as they seem to get the nod for reliability. I decided to give Onkyo one more try and sent them an email outlining the history of the unit.
I offered to pay for parts and labour if they can provide me with a HDMI board that won't screw up every six months. I'll get a local tech to install it. I did not request additional warranty time or any such thing. Just a functioning HDMI board.
Regarding the Yamaha. While the sales guy agreed that Yamaha is reliable he said the real quality starts with the Aventage line. Not sure about that, after all he is a sales associate.
I'll try to keep things regarding my AV adventures to this thread and let you know where it all leads or ends up.
It's been frustrating and educational and without your advice and humour I'd likely be throwing AVR's under the snow plow.
It is appreciated.
Dave

Best of luck Dave. I gave up on AVR's and much prefer listening to movies in 2 channel. No muss, no fuss, and sounds great through my 2 channel system.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:08 pm 

Dave:
Sorry to hear of your problems. Not offering a counter argument, just my own experience. I have owned 3 Denon AVR over likely the last >15 years. All three are running perfectly today, one I gave to brother-in-law, one is at a second house I have with two 1980 Klipsch Heresy as test mules for HT project and third is at my current house. Don’t recall how I landed on Denon, likely driven somewhat by budget. But all have run flawlessly. Most recent is a x4300h which has run every setup from 3.1 Martin Logan + velodyne, sometimes just as 2.1, up to 7.1 HT with a real mix of speakers. House, budget, family all dictates a single room/stereo/HT setup for me. But I definitely liked your alternative universe description. Best of luck and send in the results of your fishing expedition! MC.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:14 pm 

MC39693 wrote:
Dave:
Sorry to hear of your problems. Not offering a counter argument, just my own experience. I have owned 3 Denon AVR over likely the last >15 years. All three are running perfectly today, one I gave to brother-in-law, one is at a second house I have with two 1980 Klipsch Heresy as test mules for HT project and third is at my current house. Don’t recall how I landed on Denon, likely driven somewhat by budget. But all have run flawlessly. Most recent is a x4300h which has run every setup from 3.1 Martin Logan + velodyne, sometimes just as 2.1, up to 7.1 HT with a real mix of speakers. House, budget, family all dictates a single room/stereo/HT setup for me. But I definitely liked your alternative universe description. Best of luck and send in the results of your fishing expedition! MC.

Will do. This year we're doing a fly in trip near Nakina.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:13 pm 

mahatma1 wrote:
Equipment List:
B&W ASW 610 subwoofer.
38" Vizio soundbar
Generic HDMI cables
Axiom speaker cable.
Onkyo/Integra DTR 40.3.
It is appreciated.
Dave

I see that you have a ST 55 Panasonic Plasma. I had a 60 inch ST60 Panasonic Plasma. I don't mean to worry you, but know that the HDMI board on my plasma blew out. Damn HDMI boards...

Panasonic doesn't make plasmas anymore. Parts are very hard or impossible to find. My barely 4 year old plasma had to be thrown in the trash! I am not surprised, because plasmas produce a lot of heat. It probably did not help that mine was a few feet in front of a heating vent. I suggest being careful with the screen wipe feature, because this really heats up the TV.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:42 pm 

Scudder wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
Equipment List:
B&W ASW 610 subwoofer.
38" Vizio soundbar
Generic HDMI cables
Axiom speaker cable.
Onkyo/Integra DTR 40.3.
It is appreciated.
Dave

I see that you have a ST 55 Panasonic Plasma. I had a 60 inch ST60 Panasonic Plasma. I don't mean to worry you, but know that the HDMI board on my plasma blew out. Damn HDMI boards...

Panasonic doesn't make plasmas anymore. Parts are very hard or impossible to find. My barely 4 year old plasma had to be thrown in the trash! I am not surprised, because plasmas produce a lot of heat. It probably did not help that mine was a few feet in front of a heating vent. I suggest being careful with the screen wipe feature, because this really heats up the TV.

Wow! That really sucks. My set up is similar to yours except I never use the screen wipe feature. I love the Panasonic's picture. It will be a bad day when I have to replace it.
So HDMI strikes again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:20 pm 

mahatma1 wrote:
Scudder wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
Equipment List:
B&W ASW 610 subwoofer.
38" Vizio soundbar
Generic HDMI cables
Axiom speaker cable.
Onkyo/Integra DTR 40.3.
It is appreciated.
Dave

Wow! That really sucks. My set up is similar to yours except I never use the screen wipe feature. I love the Panasonic's picture. It will be a bad day when I have to replace it.
So HDMI strikes again.

I loved the picture on my plasma as well. I had to buy a LED to replace it, because OLEDs are still too expensive. I bought a Panasonic TC-65DX700 LED TV. I was sure it would be disappointing compared to my plasma. LED TVs have really improved in the last 4-5 years! I was astonished to see that the black levels, were as good as my plasma. Being 4K, and having the better 10 and 12 bit capable colour modes, means its picture quality overall is better than my plasma was. I wouldn't have believed this possible 5 years ago, when plasma was the king of image quality. Technology improves steadily and quickly.

Also, no more image retention and no more heat discharge. I am disappointed my plasma broke, but I am happy with my new TV. Good luck on holding onto yours for as long as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:41 am 

Really just like getting a lemon of a car...get rid of it.

If its broke been unreliable before... :(

Since you took it back to dealer see what happens ...........prolly want some more $ for it to repair unless the dealers got a lot of pull.....or he clears the repair and sells you something different and its marked up in that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:58 am 

Uunderhill wrote:
OBI56 wrote:
I agree with Musicware4u - 2 channel stereo sounds great for movies.

Yes it does! I put together a top end 2.1 channel system some years ago and added a 42" monitor when i moved to digital files on a NAS and media center software accessed via a remote. (similar 9.2 system in basement uses the same NAS for movies)

One day just for laughs i played a movie on the 2.1 system thinking it would be crap. Clear dialogue and excellent sound, albeit on a much smaller screen. Now i regularly watch movies on it, although my taste runs more to foreign films than the latest Hollywood 'blockbuster' so your mileage may vary...

PS - and i wish i had never 'upgraded' from the integra 5.1 pre and rotel amps setup to the current onkyo 9.2 receiver system....yes you get more channels but the HT receiver but its GUI is crap and it locks up occasionally vs the rock solid and intuitive former system

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:39 am 

I made a few calls regarding Yamaha AV receivers. Most of the time it was the standard "You'll have to come into the store",reply.
One however felt like talking a bit.
They only carry the Aventage line because "the others are a headache".
His take on things is that its a matter of luck and power in getting a good working receiver.
Luck as in getting a robust unit and power as in a consistent clean supply is critical.
If my APC 10 is to be believed, the power here is woefully inconsistent.
It shows boost and cut conditions quite regularly.
His only recommendation was to buy a couple of fans you plop on top of the receiver to exhaust any heat quickly and to cross my fingers.
Not exactly what I'd call a sales pitch.
I happened to mention the ad regarding the store selling Cambridge Audio (a brand they used to sell) receivers and how they said the HDMI was less than robust.
He says that they are perhaps being a little too honest for their own good and you could say that about any number of brands.
:roll: :?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:37 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
I made a few calls regarding Yamaha AV receivers. Most of the time it was the standard "You'll have to come into the store",reply.
His take on things is that its a matter of luck and power in getting a good working receiver.
Luck as in getting a robust unit and power as in a consistent clean supply is critical.
His only recommendation was to buy a couple of fans you plop on top of the receiver to exhaust any heat quickly and to cross my fingers.
I happened to mention the ad regarding the store selling Cambridge Audio (a brand they used to sell) receivers and how they said the HDMI was less than robust.
He says that they are perhaps being a little too honest for their own good and you could say that about any number of brands.

I know it's not the solution you are looking for. But, I had the whole home theater 7.1 setup with an AV receiver for years. Tons of cables, and speakers all over the place. When I realised a 500$ 2 channel integrated amp, had much better sound quality than my nearly 2000$ Denon AV receiver, I got rid of the 7.1 setup.

If you take the budget for a complete home theater, and spend that same budget on a 2 channel integrated amp, and 2 main speakers only, you will get much better sounding components.

My 2 channel system sounds better for movies than my former 7.1 home theater setup, and it destroys it for music. My system also occupies much less space.

I will never go back to an AV receiver.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:51 am 

Scudder wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:

I know it's not the solution you are looking for. But, I had the whole home theater 7.1 setup with an AV receiver for years. Tons of cables, and speakers all over the place. When I realised a 500$ 2 channel integrated amp, had much better sound quality than my nearly 2000$ Denon AV receiver, I got rid of the 7.1 setup.

If you take the budget for a complete home theater, and spend that same budget on a 2 channel integrated amp, and 2 main speakers only, you will get much better sounding components.

My 2 channel system sounds better for movies than my former 7.1 home theater setup, and it destroys it for music. My system also occupies much less space.

I will never go back to an AV receiver.

I actually have a couple amps and a pre not in use at the moment. I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to try it.
I have little interest in playing music on the H/T system, its just for movies etc.
I have a reasonably good 2 channel system for music.
Watching movies etc. I like the booms and bangs, the bullets appearing to fly across the room, the helicopters zooming off.
It's just effects but I like them. I don't hold A/V gear to the same standard I do a good 2 channel high end system.
To me they are very different things.
Music is a large part of my life and I want to hear every bit of it as best I possibly can.
H/T, movies etc. are a pleasant distraction. In all honesty if one of the receivers was working properly I wouldn't be looking to update it to 11.2 or whatever the standard is at the moment. Plain Jane, reliable 5.1 is all I really need.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next