Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:18 am 

[quote="angust63
This guy was banned back in May. He's most definitely a scammer.

I see that you post your e-mail address right in the body of your ad. Scammers like this guy are banned and we try everything we can to keep them from accessing members on this site. Leaving your contact information in your ad is an open invitation for these guys to contact you outside of CAM's messaging system (and our normal security features). CAM can only do so much. Posts like this may help warn some users but less warey users might not be so fortunate.

-- 25 Jun 2013 08:42 --

I'll take good note and make the correction immediately..... Can't believe this....for a used amp worth around $200 ????

Anyway, thanks for the advice...

Denys

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:39 am 

Some of these bottom dwellers are simply phishing for active email address they can sell. Whe nthe word "item" shows up in their response, it's most likely a mass mailer scam attempt.

-- 25 Jun 2013 12:41 --

Paul in Ottawa wrote:
I received this from an ad placed on usedottawa. It sure looks like a scam to me. Especially the part about the "shipping agent" and asking for my personal information. In reply to his reply, I asked him for his phone number and will insist on a cash transaction (his "shipping agent can deliver cash upon pickup - not bloody likely, lol). I bet this transaction goes nowhere.

What is strange is that he wants me to remind him of the final asking price (?!).

Funny thing though, he has a French Canadian name.

I got your response , I will take it for the price.Please remove the ad or put it as sold because i am serious about buying it.The payment will be Check or Money Order.I will take care of the shipping and its cost,.I already have a Shipping agent who will do the pick up from your house once you
received,confirm and verify the payment.I want you to get back to me with your informations so that the payment can be issue out fast.
If you are okay with the payment kindly get back to me with the information bellow please reply asap so i can make out the payment immediately
Here is the information needed from you:

FULL-NAME
ADDRESS
CITY
STATE
ZIP-CODE
PHONE-NUMBER
FINAL ASKING PRICE.

I anxiously await your quick response,
I am counting on your honesty.

Thanks

All the scammer keywords are in this message. "Agent", "Check", "Money Order", " I await your response" best not to respond.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:38 pm 

lpk361@gmail.com

Very believable con which included Pay Pal instructions and reassurances from Pay Pal "Quality Assurance". Do yourself a favour and don't deal with lpk361

Posted by Fredchar July 2,2013

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:33 am 

Also add ivanxxbraun@gmail.com. Replied to ad but e-mail listed in many forums as scammer. Pay by PayPal but have agent pick up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:30 pm 

I suspect many of the "Clowns" are really only interested in getting your email address from the reply you send them.

I doubt the original communication is not intended to be taken seriously ... the Real Value to them is getting your contact information. What they do with it is open to discussion ... send you more SCAM? Sell it to marketers? Try to hijack your system? I don't know.

Of course if anyone's silly enough to take them seriously with the "offer to buy" you're going to be disappointed :(~

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:10 am 

ANYONE in a hurry is a red flag.

I was born with a very mild case of turrets and at the slightest sign of stress - "ASAP, urgent, emergency"... I involuntarily hit delete. Doctors tell me there is no cure. I have learned to live with it.

Re-sellers and scammers can go to hell.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:39 am 

CrazyJoeDavola wrote:
ANYONE in a hurry is a red flag.

I was born with a very mild case of turrets and at the slightest sign of stress - "ASAP, urgent, emergency"... I involuntarily hit delete. Doctors tell me there is no cure. I have learned to live with it.

Re-sellers and scammers can go to hell.

That is a fair statement, but there is another side to that opinion. Some 'buyers' are so indecisive that they make it very difficult for sellers. The guys who want to trade dozens of e-mails and take hours to reply to each one are equally problematic.

This makes it hard to manage multiple inquiries, and ultimately results in those 'buyers' losing out on deals ... prompting them to start multiple "item was sold when I was still negotiating with the seller" threads.

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:31 am 

agree...happened to me also....especially if you have like 2 people inquiring and debating for days the shipping costs and form of payments and suddenly there is a guy who agrees on price agrees on shipping and pays right away....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:27 pm 

Ah schucks! For one brief moment, I thought that English-challenged
(but very, very, very RICH) Nigerian prince I recently heard from
was going to pay me $2500 for my 1982 un-refurbished Bryston 4B. :evil:

Attachments:
nigerian-prince.jpg
nigerian-prince.jpg [ 123.04 KiB | Viewed 3560 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:31 pm 

if it is with Canada Post shipping charges...it is about right price, actually......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:39 pm 

libor wrote:
if it is with Canada Post shipping charges...it is about right price, actually......

Oboy! Haven't sent anything out Canada Post for....I can't remember when. But always thought Canada Post was a bargain compared to UPS. Fedex, and the other couriers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:47 pm 

from my Postal Code to Nigeria :

PriorityTM Worldwide - $1,987.81
Options
Delivery Confirmation Incl.
Signature Option Incl.
*Coverage Details: Up to $100.00 included. Maximum $1,000.00 @ $3.50 per $100.00.

Please note:
These prices are estimates and subject to adjustment by Canada Post.
Limitations to size, weight and coverage vary for international destinations (See Postal Guide).
Pickup is available in your area if you are a business customer. - Request a pickup.

Rate Summary
Regular price $1,890.15
Coverage
Update
$31.50
Options $0.00
Fuel Surcharge $66.16
Tax $0.00
Total $1,987.81
Fill out customs form Estimate Duties and Taxes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:03 am 

michaeldesilets6484@gmail.com
He sends an email saying he will send a cheque to your home address and have an agent pickup the product. When asked where he lives, he says Ontario but does not give a town. Found a similar person in Quebec. Will give you an Ontario cell phone number for text messages but possibly forwarded to another number.
I bet he will cancel the cheque in less than 10 days and ask for a refund so you lose.
Decided to pass on a few occasions as I said I wanted to meet in person and he refused.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:19 pm 

He doesn't need to cancel the cheque. It's likely forged to start with but it will take your bank a few days to figure it out and charge it back to you. Or, the cheque will be for "too much" and you can "give the excess to the pickup guy". THEN it turns out to be a bad cheque to start with....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7