Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:48 pm 

I have presently a integra 40.4 on psb stratus silver for my second systeme in the basemant. I want idea of Stereo amp. Someting powerful, musical, not to bright. For rock, blues, folk, etc.. Thanks for your help

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:59 pm 
Premium User

vertdesign wrote:
I have presently a integra 40.4 on psb stratus silver for my second systeme in the basemant. I want idea of Stereo amp. Someting powerful, musical, not to bright. For rock, blues, folk, etc.. Thanks for your help

PSB & NAD are made by the same company if that's any help. Must be lots of dealers where the 2 can be heard together.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:32 am 

shawnwes wrote:
vertdesign wrote:

PSB & NAD are made by the same company if that's any help. Must be lots of dealers where the 2 can be heard together.

... or distributed by the same company, Lenbrook. They're a five or so minute walk from my house and I drive past them once in a while. IIRC their sign once had Marantz on it too.

I once had a Bryston 3B-ST and it could not drive the silvers nearly as well as a Krell KAV 300i.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:54 am 

Don’t think NAD was part of the Lenbrook group at the time the Stratus Silver was introduced. Not saying they will not pair well together, TBH I don’t know. But don’t think a design collaboration between the 2 was in mind at that time.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:41 am 
Premium User

sthomas1049 wrote:
Don’t think NAD was part of the Lenbrook group at the time the Stratus Silver was introduced. Not saying they will not pair well together, TBH I don’t know. But don’t think a design collaboration between the 2 was in mind at that time.

Brain switched off for a moment. You're quite right. The Stratus Silver were from a decade earlier. Lenbrook purchased them around 2000. I was thinking they were from the same era as my Stratus GT1s which were 2007 ish.

edit: pic removed - don't want to steal thread.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:03 am 

Even though they weren't joint companies at the time Nad sounds good with the silver's and bronze. They seem to like limitless power as long as the amplifiers aren't struggling. If your thinking very cost effective think bi amping a couple Nad power amps. At one point I purchased two Nad 2700 for five and a half. Two of them make clean power and more power than most people would need to use.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:46 am 

I had a Nad 218 thx with them at the time and it was a winner. Sold the amp later and replace it by mono block ( Bel Canto s300) and I think it was a bad move ( too bright with the Bel Canto)
So if you can find a mint 218 , jump on it.
Still have them since new with the stratus c6 center in a second system and still like them

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:01 am 

After a couple of false starts,my brother settled on the NAD 272 amp 162 pre. combination.The Powerdrive feature which provides short bursts of power at lower impedances seems ideal for the low frequency impedance dips of the Silvers.Great value/sound at this price point.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:14 am 

There are thousands of makes and models manufactured over the years that would work just fine so it's hard to recommend one. First decide if you want an integrated amp or a power amp and go to the home page on CAM and select the appropriate category and filter for your price range and (if you want) your province. Look at the results and eliminate any that won't work for you (ie. maybe you don't want to get one 40 years old that might need some maintenance soon? maybe you want the manufacturer to still offer support to Canadians? maybe you want to buy locally only from a city near you? etc.) and narrow things down a bit.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:27 am 

dupont62 wrote:
After a couple of false starts,my brother settled on the NAD 272 amp 162 pre. combination.The Powerdrive feature which provides short bursts of power at lower impedances seems ideal for the low frequency impedance dips of the Silvers.Great value/sound at this price point.

Yes they have great reserves. Its nice when you listen to theatrical type music or watch movies, for those loud action scenes that break out of blackness demanding power. They will deliver, the kind needed to give you those neck chilling effects. The Nad amps high ceiling has you covered.

I was searching for a 218 two different times when I needed an amp but wasn't lucky enough to find one. No doubt they are a best value in audio.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:34 am 

oneoffaudio wrote:
dupont62 wrote:

Yes they have great reserves. Its nice when you listen to theatrical type music or watch movies, for those loud action scenes that break out of blackness demanding power. They will deliver, the kind needed to give you those neck chilling effects. The Nad amps high ceiling has you covered.
I was searching for a 218 two different times when I needed an amp but wasn't lucky enough to find one. No doubt they are a best value in audio.

+ That first 10 watts of class A doesn't hurt either.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:19 pm 

I have run the stratus gold i with rotel 1080 with good results.

Might be an affordable and nice sounding option.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:50 pm 

I have the PSB Stratus Silver I, little power hungry (4 ohm). I have a Rotel RMB 1555 for home theater and 2 channel. Not the most powerful amp, but can apply the juice when required. Nice detailed presentation, slight on the warm side, but pretty good. got it for a really good price, I was looking at the bigger brother but my room is not that big, 200W all channels driven would have me evicted from my condo :mrgreen: The newer Rotel stuff is class A/B and pretty well built, i think they have abandoned their class D stuff, back to basics, in house made toroidal transformers, good caps, nice output stage. Decent stuff, I like mine.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:49 pm 

I had Stratus Silver and the Silver i’s.

In both cases they could not be given too much power. They love the juice.

Bi-amping (not bi-wiring) with two NAD 370’s was a game changer. Losing as much of the crossover as possible really opens up the sound. A separate pre-amp is a noticeable improvement too.

The other big difference came when I simply elevated the front of the cabinet with a strip of scrap wood set just back enough as to be not visible.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:17 pm 

Aren't power and juice the same thing :lol: ?

With nice clean signals going in I found they play louder than human ears should be subjected to for very long and had more to go. Me thinks yours was in a overly large room, I dont know :?:

I don't know this person, but the amp has been for sale a while. Its lowest price 326 Ive seen by about a 100. Maybe the seller is mia http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... ad-326bee/ try your luck.