Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:33 pm 

Hi All,
Home sound equipment is not meant to be on all the time! Do not leave your stuff running, especially not unattended. What is true is that equipment will settle down after 1/2 hour maximum, so you really only need to run it when you are going to use it. This is even more true for tubes as they have a finite lifetime.

Figure this. 24 hours in a day, how many do you spend listening to the system? I know some people who only listen to their equipment on weekends. The point is, your system will be putting on run time even when you aren't using it. Hardly good value for the dollar if you ask me.

Equipment lifetime is determined by the failure rate for all the components inside. Some parts just die ... because. It's important to note two things. The failure rate doubles for each 10°C rise in temperature. The failure will be a random one and may cause more circuit damage, or even fault currents that run outside (amp eats speaker(s)). I've seen most failure types. Once I even saw a large hole burned in the middle of a Bryston original 4B. The user could never have caused this failure type. Something simply died and that failure caused enough heat to be generated to burn a large area of circuit board. This just goes to show you that just because something has been reliable, ultimately it won't be. Everything fails at some point.

-Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:59 am 

deuce07 wrote:
I’m almost certain that it only happens when the unit reaches a certain “temperature”. Upon start up, dead silent . After about 8-15 minutes of play it does the crackle sometimes a squeal it will last maybe a minute or so .. then silence for the remainder of the play session no matter how long it plays it has gone for as long as 2-3 hrs without a sound . Seems it’s within that critical time of heat / expansion that it acts up . I’d take it to a tech but theirs no authorized BAT dealers in my area . This really blows .

Its seems the preamp has an intermittent fault that is affected by temperature.

These are difficult to find because when testing, its not clear if the connection is made or not.

It could be a hairline crack in a track or and issue with the solder joint to the tube socket.
Possibly a capacitor.

However, if you suddenly got a loud noise through your left speaker,
I would recommend getting the preamp repaired before using it again.
You don't want a cooked woofer.

Now can you help me with my plumbing ?
Its so cold here in Ottawa, I think the top of our cast iron stack is frozen over.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:44 pm 

Well..... after countless hours of trial and error ive found the problem . It was a power resistor . Was tapping on resistors after testing many things and came accross this one . Wow it was like a microfonic tube on super steroids . Wiggled it a bit and out came the scratchy popping sounds . Very relieved and greatful for the suggestions . Persistence pays ....or in this case "saves" ....cheers
Ps ive added a photo of a generic resistor like the faulty one i found . Hope it may help others if they experience something similar

Attachments:
IMG_0355.JPG
IMG_0355.JPG [ 7.3 KiB | Viewed 218 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:46 pm 

Fantastic! That was a tough one to find. Great work!

-Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:58 pm 

Resistor or voltage regulator?

Either way....fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:20 pm 

Good job.