Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:03 pm 

Couple quick things about prior posts.
Soft brush- agree, it helps a lot. Precautions galore. Careful movement. Little things like extended capacitor legs can move around. Inspect carefully after using brush.
Air compressor. Agree, but test your air stream on some news paper, check for moisture. Lots of folks with a compressor never drain the moisture out of the tank regularly as suggested. If you get droplets, do a drain first, run some air through the hose after to clean it out. Then proceed with caution.
Cat pee. Deadly smelling hot. Especially when you are warming up solder connections. Ew. This is resolvable, with out chemicals.
It takes a bit of courage, and a lot of patients, and about a week. Along with cat pee there is often surface rust on the internal metal structure and other parts.
If you have a shower head with a hose, give what you can see a good shower with hot water.
Drain well. Aim away from any portals to the main transformer.
Then set it up in a warm place with a fan 24/7. For 5-7 days. Move it about. Side to side, end over end.
Sunshine is nice, but steady breeze is the key.
It works. For obvious reasons, don't skip to 3 or 4 days of drying.
If you find some surface rust you don't like, use small artist brush and aluminum paint to cover it and seal it.
I read about this process once and thought...frickin crazy. Till I met cat pee in a nice unit. Worked and smelled like... New. At least smell-less.

Last edited by Sasklite on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:15 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Sasklite wrote:
Couple quick things about prior posts.
Soft brush- agree, it helps a lot. Precautions galore. Careful movement. Little things like extended capacitor legs can move around. Inspect carefully after using brush.
Air compressor. Agree, but test your air stream on some neAdvance IIAs paper, check for moisture. Lots of folks with a compressor never drain the moisture out of the tank regularly as suggested. If you get droplets, do a drain first, run some air through the hose after to clean it out. Then proceed with caution.
Cat pee. Deadly smelling hot. Especially when you are warming up solder connections. Ew. This is resolvable, with out chemicals.
It takes a bit of courage, and a lot of patients, and about a week. Along with cat pee there is often surface rust on the internal metal structure and other parts.
If you have a shower head with a hose, give what you can see a good shower with hot water.
Drain well. Aim away from any portals to the main transformer.
Then set it up in a warm place with a fan 24/7. For 5-7 days. Move it about. Side to side, end over end.
Sunshine is nice, but steady breeze is the key.
It works. For obvious reasons, don't skip to 3 or 4 days of drying.
If you find some surface rust you don't like, use small artist brush and aluminum paint to cover it and seal it.
I read about this process once and thought...frickin crazy. Till I met cat pee in a nice unit. Worked and smelled like... New. At least smell-less.

For the grease (or cat pee) which has stuck to the given amp innards, one way to deal with it is a vaporizer attachment from Princess auto, for compressors. I use distilled water mixed half and half with 99% isopropanol.

Fresh Co (grocery store chain) is the last place I know of that sells a proper clean residue free +99% isopropanol. In this case, it is made in Quebec. Not like the junk you now get at pharmacies. About 1/2 the price of the MG chemicals stuff, and just as good. (approx $3.50 for 500ml)

I spray the 1/2 and 1/2 mix into the unit (60-80psi), and I do a forced air dry afterward (60-80 psi)....and wait for it to dry properly. I've done this enough times that I know when it is dry enough. Let it sit overnight in a warm dry location, if unsure. But this one is best left to the intrepid.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:05 am 

+1 for cleaning with proper clean residue free +99% isopropanol.
I do use a sprayer bottle to shoot alcool
Put you receiver on the side on old news paper to absorb residues.
Then clean air compressor or in a can.(computer air cleaner)
Let it sit for a while 12-24hrs, redo solder joints on pc boards
Pay attention to big power resistors in power supply theses might heat and have produce that smell. Cleaned them again.
You may even replace theses resistors if they have signs of overheating.
slowly ramp up voltages to make sure all is stable .
good luck!