Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:46 pm 

must be used SS

maybe 7bsst would be best for me

because if the 7bsst2 sounds like the 4bsst2 it hurts my ears

maybe some other mono block that is not so high pitched

i did have 3bsst two of them,but was easy to clip them,,the 3bsst was the best amp i have owned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:14 pm 

would this work for you
https://advance.mb.ca/collections/clear ... -amplifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:18 pm 

mpublicover wrote:

I have own the sst2 amps not nice

the sst much better

will match with a C2300 or a C2500 pre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:25 pm 
Premium User

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... amplifier/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:31 pm 

James_W wrote:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649319511-simaudio-moon-evolution-w8-reference-power-amplifier/

nice or http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... se-cam400/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:42 pm 
Premium User

I'd hold on the Classe stuff if possible. It's going to look pretty dated with the new amps being released sooner than later.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:47 pm 

James_W wrote:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649319511-simaudio-moon-evolution-w8-reference-power-amplifier/

James,
would not the big Sim Audio have a pretty similar sound to the big Bryston?. I found the 700i that I listened to earlier this year to be harsher sounding than the Big Bryston. To be fair though the Bryston was plugged into a good tubed pre.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:49 pm 

My preference would be a McIntosh.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649320916-mcintosh-mc352/

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:54 pm 
Premium User

KJT1 wrote:
James_W wrote:

James,
would not the big Sim Audio have a pretty similar sound to the big Bryston?. I found the 700i that I listened to earlier this year to be harsher sounding than the Big Bryston. To be fair though the Bryston was plugged into a good tubed pre.

It's similar to the W-5 and not on the harsh side like some components I've heard. I listened to a W-8 at a friends house back east and he swapped 3 different speakers (Vienna Acoustics, Totem, Proac) while I was there and it was sugary sweet. The MOON gear I heard mated with Monitor Audio Platinum PL500 II's at CES were pretty bright but it might have been the speakers. When I've heard MOON sound bright it's usually been due to the speaker pairing.

Last edited by James_W on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:56 pm 

...he's already decided...it's essentially a d*ck waving exercise that happens once a year...read the other thread about "downsizing" :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:03 am 

Stone wrote:
...he's already decided...it's essentially a d*ck waving exercise that happens once a year...read the other thread about "downsizing" :D

So sad,,, remember if nothing good to say then say nothing

I am to retire soon in 3 months,,,the decision to purchase a large amp for me is a big deal,,,as where i am going to for retirement,,shipping for service will be expensive and time consuming

anyway enjoy your new year 2017

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:54 am 

Good for you Buddy,Yes retirement certainly puts a 'different light' on our short lives,I too am starting to feel it as I'm consciously leading up to it.
..............................................................I'm Happy to hear that 'Your Going For It',taking the big plunge to more watts to suit your Listening needs.
...................................................................I've just bought what are likley my last set of big speakers,and am in the need for some more watts,too,and like you its a big purchase in my world.

................................................................Retirement usually dials in our 'Realistic financial situation' too,as to any future Big buys,so until you live it you don't really understand the situation,and I say,why shouldn't we treat ourselves,I've been working since I was 16,closing in on 64 in January,and feel after raising a family,I like to think I've finally earned a better system,and with all our Music Hero's dropping like flies,I'm feeling that sooner is better than later!
...................................................................................Honestly,hope your new amp delivers all you ever wanted in the system of your Dreams,bring on 2017!
...............................................................Enjoy Your Music...EP Concert Kenny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:59 am 

Do you know Tom Maker's stuff. He was the designer behind Edge. Really nice ss gear, but at a super premium price. Well, after a schmozel with the business end of things, that involved the selling off of Edge, Tom is back with an improved product but at a much better price. It's American made so service is no problem:
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid ... l-centr-fl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:13 am 

Kenny wrote:
Good for you Buddy,Yes retirement certainly puts a 'different light' on our short lives,I too am starting to feel it as I'm consciously leading up to it.
..............................................................I'm Happy to hear that 'Your Going For It',taking the big plunge to more watts to suit your Listening needs.
...................................................................I've just bought what are likley my last set of big speakers,and am in the need for some more watts,too,and like you its a big purchase in my world.

................................................................Retirement usually dials in our 'Realistic financial situation' too,as to any future Big buys,so until you live it you don't really understand the situation,and I say,why shouldn't we treat ourselves,I've been working since I was 16,closing in on 64 in January,and feel after raising a family,I like to think I've finally earned a better system,and with all our Music Hero's dropping like flies,I'm feeling that sooner is better than later!
...................................................................................Honestly,hope your new amp delivers all you ever wanted in the system of your Dreams,bring on 2017!
...............................................................Enjoy Your Music...EP Concert Kenny

I am still looking at all options at this point
I spent the last 9 years building a retirement home in NL
I live in cambridge and will sell my house in march for around 380 to 400k
Will use that money for the purchase of a TT,amp,preamp and speakers
Trying to get as much info as possible,,want to buy low maintenance components,,,as any repairs will have to be shipped out of NL plus time turn around time maybe long,,,there is lots of great companys out there

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:31 am 

What do you have (or will you be getting) for speakers?