Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:48 am 

First time posting on a audio forum, long time enthusiast, technically challenged.
I recently acquired a Sony ES system with the rosewood panels along with Angstrom Alpha80 speakers also in rosewood. Black face with the panels is what sold me. Eye candy to me.
Components include: TA-N80ES amp, TA-E80ES preamp, CDP-X55ES cd, ST-S730ES tuner on the way.
My question: The manual says 4ohm safe using A or B but 8 ohm using A and B speakers.
I want to add a sub to B but my speakers currently on A are 4ohm. My thinking is that the sub only needs a signal to fire up, at which point it uses it's own built in amp and wont be drawing a load from the n80 amp. Am I correct or asking for trouble?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:32 am 

Your preamp has two sets of outputs. With a sub that has low-level (RCA) inputs, you can connect directly from the preamp to the sub.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:56 am 

Hi,

rxl650 wrote: 'I want to add a (powered) sub to B.'

Don't add a powered sub to the B speaker outputs. As Lutherton states, use a pre-amp RCA out to drive that sub.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:18 am 

But if you do use speaker level the impedance drop is negligible

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:46 am 

Thanks guys. I'll try the second output first. Although I believe one is fixed and one variable??? Much easier route than speaker wires. Wife has me working on her vehicle today, so I'll get to the stereo later.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:30 am 

rxl650 wrote:
Thanks guys. I'll try the second output first. Although I believe one is fixed and one variable??? Much easier route than speaker wires. Wife has me working on her vehicle today, so I'll get to the stereo later.

Two things, make sure the power amp is plugged into the preamp output that you know for sure is variable and if you think the other is fixed, turn the volume dial on the back of the sub all the way down before turning on the system until you're sure whether or not the second output is fixed or variable or you might need some new dishes along with a new sub.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 am 

Hi,

Binky's comment above is right. You can do it (use speaker outs), but it is not ideal. The RCA out is the better method. Variable out means that the volume control on your amp controls the amount of gain appearing at the RCA out. Fixed out is like 'tape out', and the RCA output is fixed and optimized for 'line levels' regardless of the volume control position.

It is a bit tricky to use a fixed pre-out to drive a sub. One way is to set the volume control on your main speaker system 'at the usual level you listen to' and then dial in the sub controls (volume, cross-over frequency, and possibly phase angle) to fill in the bottom octave as you see fit. The idea is to blend the voices of the sub and the mains and not aim for any booming T-REX footsteps. If you optimize this way, then when you turn the volume down (like for a phone call or for background listening) then the sub volume will stay the same but this just gives you a 'presence boost' very similar to a 'loudness switch' found on older amps and receivers.

If you use a variable RCA out then the gain will change for both the sub and the mains when you twist the volume control. But to get two RCA variable outs from one (both left and right) you will need splitters. There can be certain problems with impedance matching using splitters but lots of people use them. Since you are just dialing in your first sub be sure and experiment around and I wouldn't fret about it.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:59 am 

I'm going with a Mission M3as. It has rca L/R in, speaker connects and has frequency adjust and volume.
I have bunch of single, heavy shielded rca cables to run L&R out from the preamp to L&R in at the sub.
Volumes down and cross my fingers for variable output. Sound about right??

OK, this works and it's variable. However...no where near as loud as using the "sub out" on any of my other receivers. I have to turn it up alittle to get some bass. It's fine for me, but wont be so fine for conversation.
I'll try the line level later.
I promised my daughter a sound system and she's demanding delivery. Off I go again. So rewarding to have a day off.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:39 am 

Tried the line level and no difference. I added some Monster connects from the preamp in place of some dollar store connects I was testing with. The sub seems to have come to life. I have to say that I am pretty pleased with the sound.

Thank you all for your input.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:37 am 

Hi,

Note to rxl650: That low level RCA output from your pre-amp to the sub which leads to you having to turn up the sub could be due to different factors. If you are not satisfied, then go back to Plan A and try the speaker lead output from speaker pair B. Just be sure and switch the preamp to position Speaker A + B.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:04 am 

man that's a nice bit of sony kit!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:26 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Note to rxl650: That low level RCA output from your pre-amp to the sub which leads to you having to turn up the sub could be due to different factors. If you are not satisfied, then go back to Plan A and try the speaker lead output from speaker pair B. Just be sure and switch the preamp to position Speaker A + B.

Cheers,
David Neice

I think the cables made a big difference. The Angstrom Alpha 80's just needed some help and this little sub does the trick. It's buried in a corner where it cant be seen and no one even knows there's a sub in play. I cant even tell where the bass is coming from. I like that. Hard to achieve in my other systems with 12" Velodyne's.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 am 

bolly wrote:
man that's a nice bit of sony kit!!

Definite eye candy to me....and it sounds pretty decent too.
I received the matching tuner yesterday and all the pieces are easily 9/10 condition.
Of course I have no real place to put it, but It will scratch the itch for now.
Might be for sale or trade shortly.