It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pass labs amps
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:42 pm 

Do Pass Labs amps hold values well?
They are hardly on the used market

Post subject: Re: Pass labs amps
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:02 pm 

Well, you don't sell the 'crown jewels', do you?

Had I the cash, I would buy to keep a set of monoblocks from Pass Labs. As it is, a diy First Watt f5 dual mono has to suffice!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:24 pm 
Premium User

I was shopping for Pass Labs amps this year on various forums including CAM. Pass Labs amp hold their value fairly well, but like any company, when they release a new product series, it impacts the value of the older ones since they are no longer the latest and greatest design.

A major thing to be aware of about Pass Labs is that they don't actually have large distribution in North America; in other words they don't have a huge number of dealers in the USA, and historically they haven't had any official distribution in Canada. Pass fans in Canada either have to be very patient, or bring some up from the USA. In my quest for Pass amps I learned that Reno HiFi is one of their largest Dealers, and that they ship to Canada all the time.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:33 pm 
Premium User

When I listed one of my X250.5's it was the fastest a piece of gear has ever sold. The wanted market must be pretty healthy for Pass gear.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 pm 

"Toronto Home of the Audiophile" describes themselves as being the exclusive Canadian dealer for Pass Labs....
I suspect they don't sell a lot of product, which is why it's in limited supply, but based on what people say, I believe that people who own it, aren't in a hurray to sell it...

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:51 pm 

I see Pass Labs amps and preamps for sale quite regularly on Audiogon. I'd say they hold their value, or not, pretty much as do other high end solid state amps.

I've only got to know three Nelson Pass amps.

The first was an X250 that I had for a long weekend. Did not like it at all! Thin and harsh overall, LF recessed. Friends had even harsher things to say about it.

But I have no experience of the any of the later X-series models. And, who knows, maybe there was something wrong with the loaner I had for that weekend.

Second Pass designed amp was a friend's home-made First Watt F5: a roaring 25 Wpc of pure class A. Everyone who heard it was impressed, but noted that, even with my 95 dB TAD monitors, it kind of ran of steam when you wanted to rock. . .

So when that same friend proposed collaborating on a First Watt F5 Turbo v3—the same design with a steroidal 160 Wpc output—and with power supply and parts quality totally maxed out, I jumped at the chance.

Okay so having a 100 kg 4-chassis power amp can be a bit awkward, but damned if that thing can't play!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:10 pm 
Premium User

dr.joe wrote:
The first was an X250 that I had for a long weekend. Did not like it at all! Thin and harsh overall, LF recessed. Friends had even harsher things to say about it.

But I have no experience of the any of the later X-series models. And, who knows, maybe there was something wrong with the loaner I had for that weekend.

That's literally the opposite of how the 2 X250.5's I've had in the last year sound and I've owned rich sounding SET tube amps and good Japanese pure Class A amps. I doubt the X250 is all that different than the X250.5

Last edited by James_W on Wed May 16, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:37 pm 

James_W wrote:
dr.joe wrote:

That's literally the opposite of how the 2 X250.5's I've had in the last year sound and I've owned nice SET tube amps and good Japanese pure Class A amps. I doubt the X250 is all that different than the X250.5

How did your x250 compared to your SET tube amp? I heard a lot about Pass labs being the most tube like SS amp out there.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:03 pm 
Premium User

klee wrote:
How did your x250 compared to your SET tube amp? I heard a lot about Pass labs being the most tube like SS amp out there.

Different sounding for sure. The closest sounding amp was a Luxman 590A II. I found the Wells Audio Majestic to have the most "tube like" sound of any SS amp I've had in my listening room.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:25 pm 

I've been running an X-250 with Forests now for near a decade, it has to be 15-18 years old. Never had anybody come into my house and b1tch about the 'harshness' or weak bass, on the contrary, the remarks I have received have been on the side of 'the clarity, the focus, the depth'. You can run it all day, and stick your fingers into the heat sinks. My regular tech guy, when I bought it, said, "I likely won't be needing to look under the hood of that thing in maybe 17 years." I've had it that long because it sounds glorious. It shrugged off a serious jolt that sent my Modwright Preamp off for a few hundred bucks of repairs. I'm taking it with me and anybody who thinks it sounds harsh can eff off. :mrgreen:
edit: got it for about a third of list on A'gon at the time, terrific seller, that ain't ever happening again... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:21 am 

I have X250.8 amp for 2 years and no complain at all. I'm even considering to upgrade to XA60.8 mono bloc but better to hold off due to outrage USD exchange rate. It drives the value on Pass Labs stuffs even higher than before.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:33 am 

A pair of the X60.5's would definitely be on my trigger list.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:11 pm 

James_W wrote:
klee wrote:

Different sounding for sure. The closest sounding amp was a Luxman 590A II. I found the Wells Audio Majestic to have the most "tube like" sound of any SS amp I've had in my listening room.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:02 pm 

I've had 3 Pass amps (XA30.5, XA30.8, XA160.5) and I'll never own another brand unless I can score some D'Agostino mono's at a good price (hint: unlikely!).

They are built like tanks and hold their value very well. As mentioned, there is a healthy demand for their products so sales tend to happen quick so long as the asking price is fair.

I still regret selling my XA160.5's to this day... :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:49 pm 

melodypaul123 wrote:
I have X250.8 amp for 2 years and no complain at all. I'm even considering to upgrade to XA60.8 mono bloc but better to hold off due to outrage USD exchange rate. It drives the value on Pass Labs stuffs even higher than before.

Depending on your speaker efficiency this might not be an upgrade...