Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:31 am 

The potential "buyer" offers the seller more than the asking price- that alone means scam :( regardless of what the buyer's motive seems to be. Shipping is also always involved in a scam for obv reasons. You never see some scammer say I'll com by your house and check out the item first and pay you i like it. OUt of town scammers are easy to deal with. As a buyer you say, "You live in Thunder Bay on _____st? My good friend lives a few blocks over and would be glad to check out your equipment for me. He will arrange the shipping. You will get no response from the scammers. Also being asked to pay by EFT is a tip off of a potential scam bait.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:48 am 

I wouldn’t say so. I have offered more, usually to persuade the seller to step outside his requirements for the transaction. Local sale only, here an extra $$ to cover shipping and or your efforts to pack and ship, or to hand deliver. Some are willing to pay for extra efforts – does not automatically make them a scammer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:18 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

greyowl77 wrote:
As a seller you must send a PayPal invoice for the amount or PayPal will not offer you any protection. Accept no money sent as cash. A buyer in the US paid for my item as money sent & filed a chargeback claim with his credit card company. That is, someone else used his cc to make the purchase. PayPal totally sided with him & let me know as I did not send an invoice I'm out of luck. I sent PP all the email exchanges between me & the buyer with his last email telling me he received the item & it arrived in good shape. To no avail. PP sided with him. PP can be a big ripoff company if it serves their interest to be so. And how does it serve their interest here? In such a case the buyer's cc company is involved as they stand to lose the amount paid. If PP sides with me I get to keep the amount paid for the item. If PP sides with the seller they refund the cc company from my account. Well, it serves PP's interest more to favor the side they have business ties with.

It's important to understand (for the general reader) that paypal offers no 'protection'. the protection they speak about, the protection they say they offer, is part of the customer/Credit Card contract that already exists, on your card..the card you used to register with at paypal. Paypal is making it seem as if they are giving you something but really, all it is .. is their slavery to the conditions of your personal contract with visa or MasterCard, and paypal simply goes along with whatever the CC company demands.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:42 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
I wouldn’t say so. I have offered more, usually to persuade the seller to step outside his requirements for the transaction. Local sale only, here an extra $$ to cover shipping and or your efforts to pack and ship, or to hand deliver. Some are willing to pay for extra efforts – does not automatically make them a scammer

Prexactly!

Paranoia seems high today...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:55 am 

Quote:
That's why you never leave money in your PayPal account always transfer into your personal account then they don't have a hope in hell

@Binky. Not sure where you obtained this information but as long as you have an active account with PayPal, they can withdraw the funds from your bank using whichever card(s) you have registered on the account should there be a claim of buyer didn't get what he wanted.

Also, for those suggesting PayPal friends and family, that option is only free when sending/receiving within Canada. Just open your PayPal account and choose that option for USA and you will have to choose who is going to pay the fees.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:07 am 

Audionutt wrote:
Quote:
That's why you never leave money in your PayPal account always transfer into your personal account then they don't have a hope in hell

@Binky. Not sure where you obtained this information but as long as you have an active account with PayPal, they can withdraw the funds from your bank using whichever card(s) you have registered on the account should there be a claim of buyer didn't get what he wanted.

Also, for those suggesting PayPal friends and family, that option is only free when sending/receiving within Canada. Just open your PayPal account and choose that option for USA and you will have to choose who is going to pay the fees.

Are you saying visa has full access to my personal accounts without my authorisation?!

Are you saying unauthorised visa transactions (e.g..stolen card) are the sole responsibility of the actual cardholder?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:16 am 

I'm saying that PayPal has access to the accounts that YOU have authorized them to withdraw funds from. The protection that they offer is for the buyer in almost all cases.
The advice above about sending an invoice is a good one as well. Ship only with signature option to avoid the "I didn't get the item at all" situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:24 am 

Audionutt wrote:
I'm saying that PayPal has access to the accounts that YOU have authorized them to withdraw funds from. The protection that they offer is for the buyer in almost all cases.
The advice above about sending an invoice is a good one as well. Ship only with signature option to avoid the "I didn't get the item at all" situation.

Pretty sure they need my authorisation before they can help themselves.

The thought of PayPal withdrawing whatever the eff they want whenever the eff they want sounds a bit far fetched.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:30 am 
Premium User

Gee...I wish someone would explain to me exactly what the 'scam' is in this case...

Somebody has something that somebody else wants but has indicated he will not ship so somebody else offers more money as an incentive for somebody to sell it to him.

If somebody has somebody else pay using 'friend and family' and then ships the item...end of story.

What scam?

-- January 18th, 2018, 10:31 am --

BinkyTheCat wrote:

The thought of PayPal withdrawing whatever the eff they want whenever the eff they want sounds a bit far fetched.

...which you gave them when you signed onboard... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:33 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
Audionutt wrote:

1. They can freeze yout pp account -- I bought an item from a guy who got scammed, they froze his account and anyone who had dealt with him in the past 30 days.

2. They can and will take money out of your account(s) -- its one reason to only link through a cc that covers you ... then you have to complain to your cc company to get the charges reversed.

Dont expect anyone to move quickly on your behalf.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:49 am 
Premium User

sam3274 wrote:
I have an item advertised for $999 and for local transaction and pickup only. I received this response:

"im willing to pay $1250 if its in a good condition,i won't be able to pick up,that is why im paying more than expected to cover the shipping cost which is $80 or less to virgina kindly send me your paypal or interac email so i can make payment."

What do you guys think? Is the buyer legit or scammer?

sam3274

Rules of this transaction.

If paying by Paypal, make sure the buyer is confirmed and the address you are shipping to is the one that matches Paypal. Also if the Paypal users account is connected via credit card, the credit card might be stolen. Follow these rules or you are unprotected. No EMT available from USA to CAD, so forget that. Do not accept postal money orders from USA. Cashiers checks are OK after 30 days and certified cleared by your bank with written or confirmed notice. If any of these conditions are not met, walk away.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:15 am 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
Gee...I wish someone would explain to me exactly what the 'scam' is in this case...

Somebody has something that somebody else wants but has indicated he will not ship so somebody else offers more money as an incentive for somebody to sell it to him.

If somebody has somebody else pay using 'friend and family' and then ships the item...end of story.

What scam?

-- January 18th, 2018, 10:31 am --

BinkyTheCat wrote:

...which you gave them when you signed onboard... 8)

Omg... come on u guys...

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/arti ... on-faq1148

Will PayPal have the ability to withdraw funds from my bank account without my permission?

No. PayPal only withdraws or adds funds with your permission.

Just because I have a credit card linked to my Paypal account does not mean they can go help themselves to whatever they want. I'm curious to see if anyone actually experienced this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:20 am 
Premium User

BinkyTheCat wrote:

Omg... come on u guys...

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/arti ... on-faq1148

Will PayPal have the ability to withdraw funds from my bank account without my permission?

No. PayPal only withdraws or adds funds with your permission.

Just because I have a credit card linked to my Paypal account does not mean they can go help themselves to whatever they want. I'm curious to see if anyone actually experienced this.

Pretty certain you gave them permission when you signed on.

Has never happened to me so I do not know this as a fact...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:25 am 

I get one of these pretty much every week. the email it originates from is never Paypal.
It does say that I have authorized the payment before they take the money though.
paypal 18-Jan-2018 5:31:24 GMT-05:00
Transaction ID: 4PT053863F196534P

Hello ,

You sent a payment of $22.97 USD to Zivash Ventures LLC
(payments@jillnjacks.com)

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.If the payment was not authorized by you Login here and cancel the payment in order to get full refund.

Merchant
Zivash Ventures LLC
payments@jillnjacks.com
Instructions to merchant
You haven't entered any instructions.
Shipping address - confirmed

Shipping details
The seller hasn’t provided any shipping details yet.

Description Unit price Qty Amount
Dachshund Series Tote Bags - Dean Russo Art - Dachshund-1
$16.97 USD 1 $16.97 USD

Subtotal $16.97 USD
Shipping and handling $6.00 USD
Total $22.97 USD
Payment $22.97 USD
Charge will appear on your credit card statement as "PAYPAL *JILLNJACKS"
Payment sent to payments@jillnjacks.com

From amount $30.27 CAD
To amount $22.97 USD
Exchange rate: 1 CAD = 0.759021 USD

Invoice ID: c90638221331.1

Issues with this transaction?
You have 180 days from the date of the transaction to open a dispute in the Resolution Center.
Currency conversion: To complete this transaction, we converted the payment amount to the currency of your card based on our agreement with you. PayPal's currency conversion fee is added to the exchange rate, set by an external financial institution. For more information about fees, see our user agreement.

Questions? Go to the Help Center at www.paypal.com/ca/help.

Get verified - Pay from your bank account and you're 100% protected against unauthorized payments sent from your PayPal account. Log in and click the Get verified link below your name.

This email was sent to for the ongoing support and maintenance of your account. To manage your communication preferences, please visit our Preference Centre.

You can receive plain text emails instead of HTML emails. To change your Notifications preferences, log in to your account, go to your Profile, and click My settings.

This email was sent to you for the ongoing support and maintenance of your account. To manage your communication preferences, please visit our preference centre.

Please do not reply to this email. We are unable to respond to inquiries sent to this address. For immediate answers to your questions, visit our Help Centre by clicking Help & Contact located on any PayPal page or email. PayPal is committed to your privacy, learn more about our privacy policy.

Copyright © 2018 PayPal Canada Co., 661 University Ave., Toronto, ON M5G 1M1. All rights reserved.

PayPal PPX001066:53977f2294df3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:38 am 

Some very good insight from CAM people today on the topic of avoiding scams. Home sick, reading up.

From past sales via online classifieds for some fairly big ticket items, I have seen patterns that fit the scammer m.o.
There is no face to face dealing possible. They seem to be overly generous in their offer. There is some way they can steal the goods wiith the transaction requested.

If you were looking for local sale, stick with your initial feeling.

These scams require multiple attempts and no doubt the effort of people on the other end of the web somewhere. It's like fishing, and probably not a good living. Usually communication is sparse and you would attribute that to non-English speaker. That's possible communication compromised. Or someone throwing out hundreds of fishing lines.

Did I mention Google search of the individual, their emails etc? How about a phone conversation?

If I wanted an amp in Virginia for local sale I'd send a brief email and ask to speak by phone. Then again there's not much I'd consider doing that for as the greater risk would appear to the purchase who made the offer. A sincere person would try to communicate two ways not just spit out an odd overly generous offer. There would be dialogue to give both parties peace of mind.

Anyone can get scammed. I have seen and heard of it happening to people over and over.

Better don't learn the hard way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next