Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:44 pm 

Possible fraudulent emails

fbonelz32@gmail.com, sketchvain@gmail.com, bestmandaddy1212@gmail.com, bestmindset1212@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:56 pm 

dench76 wrote:

Yes bestmandaddy1212 and bestmindset1212 are the same guy. He just scammed me for $1307.57 via EMT account dauphin1565@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:48 pm 

toddc2 wrote:
dench76 wrote:

Yes bestmandaddy1212 and bestmindset1212 are the same guy. He just scammed me for $1307.57 via EMT account dauphin1565@hotmail.com

Sorry to hear. He was offering to sell something to me. I ignored after sensing something bad.

Did you recover your money?

PS. the guy claims he's from Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, QC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:09 am 

I think this scammer has highjacked an EBay account based out of Quebec (gauthier3) . It's possible that he's also stolen that user's PayPal account information.

One way this scammer tried to instill confidence was accepting PayPal first. He then claimed that he did not want to wait 15 days to get his money so he refunded/canceled the transaction immediately then asked for e-transfer.

It's tricky and, unless one was really suspicious, it's easy to see how this can lead to a false sense of security.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:18 am 

angust63 wrote:

One way this scammer tried to instill confidence was accepting PayPal first. He then claimed that he did not want to wait 15 days to get his money so he refunded/canceled the transaction immediately then asked for e-transfer.

So easy to fall for this one, once he refunds the money and cancels the paypal transaction, eveyone would think he is ligit and his reason seems valid.

I wish he could use this kind of brains for world peace instead of this Conology.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:28 pm 

dench76 wrote:

Did you recover your money?

PS. the guy claims he's from Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, QC

Nope, I have not recovered my $1307.57 yet. He claims to be Steve Gauthier and says he moved from QC to BC after divorcing his wife. I fell for the PayPal reference.

Last night I sent an email to all 3 email accounts used and someone using the alias Lyne Gauthier for dauphine1565@hotmail.com replied with "What are you talking about?" Interesting. So then this person claiming to be Lyne tells me she forwarded the money to Harry Turner. WTF?

Anyway, a well orchestrated scam. It looks like the IP addresses being used go through both QC and Belgium. Some of the time stamps from bestmindset1212 are Eastern + 5 hours so maybe that makes sense now. I will continue to dig into this.

I also filed a fraud claim with the Canadian Government.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:40 pm 

This same email account dauphin1565@hotmail.com took me for $600 a few days ago via EMT. Also in the process of filing a fraud claim. He claimed to be from Port Moody, BC.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:57 pm 

Ants wrote:
This same email account dauphin1565@hotmail.com took me for $600 a few days ago via EMT. Also in the process of filing a fraud claim. He claimed to be from Port Moody, BC.

Sorry to hear this. Did he reply to a WTB ad from you? That's how he found me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:07 pm 

toddc2 wrote:
Ants wrote:

Sorry to hear this. Did he reply to a WTB ad from you? That's how he found me.

Yes. I was/am trying to help a buddy find a DAC.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:50 pm 

Wow! The scumbags are on a roll. So sorry for the victims. They replied to my WTB ad too. But I sensed trouble first thing when they had no feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:52 pm 

I do not deal with anyone with hotmail.com email address, period.

Secondly, any seller with no feedback and suggesting that they "only accept interac EMT" is a red flag for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:25 pm 

In my CAM experience, the best way is to dig deeper in someone's feedbacks. At least 10 good transactions. You can cross reference the track record and see if it makes sense or if something is suspicious. Best if you can deal with a legit dealer or in person. Or if something seems too good, it's a big red flag.

But be extra diligent and discerning.

Be wary of people that would ask for refund and claim not receiving an item.

[Edit by Mod: Unrelated transaction removed from this thread. Contact the Moderators if you have a fraud to report against that user.]

Last edited by dench76 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:37 pm 

The mods edited my comments. Will respect. Hoping they have a better way of protecting people from the person/s I cited.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:20 pm 

It seemed a little odd at first and did not sit well but when I asked for a photo ID, he produced a driver's license and address as well. Also spoke with him a few times. He even offered local pickup, which is what i would have preferred but we opted for the shipping option and partial payment.

Normally, I would not purchase anything from a non CAM member unless it was a local transaction or someone who has no feedback. I had my suspicion that it could be trouble but my buddy wanted to proceed, so we did.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:23 pm 

Yeah, lesson learned, low life scumbag. I've had about 60 transactions on CAM and this is the first time I've been scammed. Part of it was my excitement to find what I've been looking for. The scammer covered his tracks fairly well although I admit I had some doubts early on but he satisfied my suspicions with the bogus eBay reference. He also used pictures that didn't show up in a Google image search.

I have yet to have a successful WTB ad placed on this forum. The bar is now pretty high for me to do a purchase. What a shame.