Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:07 pm 

Spotted this on AK, I think it's relevant to a recent thread here(could not find) relating to an EMT payment being safe.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index. ... es.814367/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:22 pm 

Are you successfully able to follow your link? I seem to be getting an error page, even when logged into AK.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:58 pm 

I just tried it and it works for me.
Basically, a person(Canadian) received an email saying their EMT transfers were accepted, 2 transfers, they did not send funds, they contacted their credit union and it's for real, they got hacked.
I'm not sure if it's appropriate to copy and paste the whole thing.
Just a heads up..I believe he is a member here(good guy), he might post it up himself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:02 pm 

Wanted to check it, got an error message, too:

"You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action"

Logged in to AK as well

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:07 pm 

I just noticed it's in the subscribers section, that's probably whats going on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:15 pm 

You can quote the other site but if what you state is fact (I cannot see the thread), then this has nothing to do with EMT being scammed or what was mentioned in the other thread viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49641

This users bank account was compromised either through phishing or brute force (guessing the password), and the thieves used EMT to transfer the money.

I am not sure the policies behind a successful phishing attack, but Canadian banks have a 0 risk policy against brute force attacks. You are not on the line should your account be compromised. Our major financial institutions are attacked thousands of times daily. The majority fail, some get blocked as soon as they breach, and some do successfully manage to steal a few bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:33 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
You can quote the other site but if what you state is fact (I cannot see the thread), then this has nothing to do with EMT being scammed or what was mentioned in the other thread viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49641

This users bank account was compromised either through phishing or brute force (guessing the password), and the thieves used EMT to transfer the money.

I am not sure the policies behind a successful phishing attack, but Canadian banks have a 0 risk policy against brute force attacks. You are not on the line should your account be compromised. Our major financial institutions are attacked thousands of times daily. The majority fail, some get blocked as soon as they breach, and some do successfully manage to steal a few bucks.

I'll wait and see if the member post's it himself, I hear what you are saying on the matter..I guess my point is nothing is infallible so just be careful. A secure system is made, and then crooks find a way to beat it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:42 pm 

I have had several emails purporting to be receipts for itunes or icloud, for purchases I knew I had not made. The email address was not kosher, and the links in the message asked for far too much information to be from Apple.
Yes, this is phishing.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:12 pm 

It's "best practices" to not login to a service via links in an e-mail (since they're so easy to spoof). So, for example, if you receive such an e-mail from Paypal, you should open a browser yourself and navigate to their site to confirm that you have in fact received funds. This makes sense.

What is absolutely ass-backwards is that (for me at least) EMTs MUST be confirmed by clicking a link sent in an e-mail. Even if I log into my CIBC account manually, I can't accept the funds -- I have to login to my account via the e-mail link. This is a glaring security weakness.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:40 pm 

please correct me if I am wrong...If you hover your mouse over the link in an email (for paypal for example), it will show the link that it will go to. If it was fraudulent it would show something other than paypal. Furthermore for a webpage, up in the address bar it should be a https page with the proper name and all.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:12 pm 

You're not wrong but you are underestimating the trickery that hackers can employ. For a simple example, check out the following website (it's safe to do so):

http://www.owenboswarva.com/URLspoof.htm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:49 am 

Prudence should always be exercised when you are online

very interesting how they set up the command to go to the other website upon clicking

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:54 am 

warhorse wrote:
Prudence should always be exercised when you are online

very interesting how they set up the command to go to the other website upon clicking

I Agreed with you.